Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road glide or street glide?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007 | 03:12 PM
SouthernAlberta
|
Intermediate
Default road glide or street glide?

Hi Everyone

I’m new to the forum but have been browsing for the last couple of weeks. Lots of great advice and some hilarious comments.

I have been riding bikes for a number of years but never a harley. I’m thinking of coming over to the dark side and I am looking at either a street glide or the road glide. Other than the appearance they are very similar. I’m currently leaning towards the road glide but I’m having a hard time getting use to the appearance of that fairing. My riding is a mix of city and highway. 52 years old, 5”10” 160lbs.

I have a few questions on the bikes that I would appreciate some advice. Is there much or any head buffeting on either bike? Does one bike have better resale value? Do the 2008’s have the same heat problem as the 2007’s? On a bike is there any advantage to having ABS? In Canada what can I expect to get off the MSRP?

Thanks for your time.

Old 10-13-2007 | 03:40 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Default RE: road glide or street glide?

Welcome to the best forum on the web IMHO that is. Aside from the difference in appearance, there is are a few other differences. The primary one being the fairing on the Road Glide is frame mounted and extremely stable on the road and in the twisties where as the Street Glide fairing is handlebar mounted and you'll feel that additional 25 or so lbs. I've ridden them both and now on my second Road Glide. To me anyway, a batwing fairing bike is akin to driving a school bus by comparison as you can really feel the weight of the fairing. Granted, it's a much more traditional look and you either like the Road Glide or hate the look. Doesn't seem to be much in between. Many a dealer has named the Road Glide Harley's best kept secret. There are also other differences such as suspension on the Street Glide is lowered and the Road Glide has cruise control etc. I am sure others will chime in. Either is a great bike IMHO.

Old 10-13-2007 | 03:40 PM
DonnyI
Road Captain

Park a SG & RG side by side and make your choice. I went from a batwing fairing (SG) to a RG for a year and back to the batwing. Too much windshield shudder on a RG and the controls are too far away, didn't like the frame mount fairing. If I had to buy a bike tomorrow, it would easily be a Street Glide. Very slick looking bike and a good base for custom work. You could say my current ride is a souped up Street Glide.

Old 10-13-2007 | 03:54 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member

Highly Recommend RENTING BOTH and ride the living cr@p out of them - Then YOU can pick which feels RIGHT-4-U as they are both great Putts....

I have been riding for 30+ years and have always had a HD in my stable.... I can say that this is my first RG and it is the BEST HANDLING TOURING BIKE THAT HD MAKES... BEST IN THE WIND...

Old 10-13-2007 | 05:53 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

SG looks better out the box, but with a few custom items RG can't be beat.

take a ride on both can't go wrong with either one.

Old 10-13-2007 | 06:16 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

Both are great bikes. Rent them both and buy the one you like best. They will ride different.

Old 10-13-2007 | 06:18 PM
cderider
Cruiser

New RoadGlide also have same forks as the Ultra (TDC), not sure what that means but I think the fork has cartridge style valving. I test rode both several times and felt the RoadGlide did handle better with more planted front end and less dive.

Old 10-13-2007 | 08:16 PM
Grunt66
Advanced

I wanted to go with the Street Glide when I first saw it. I explained to the dealer what I was looking for in a bike and he pointed me towards the Road Glide. I went to several other dealers and again they pointed me in the direction of the Road Glide.

Little about me, I am 41 years old, 5’-10”, and 190lbs. For the most part I have ridden Japanese sport bike for most of my adult life and then I bought my first HD (2003 Deuce) in Aug. of 2002.Then in 2006 I wanted a bike that my wife could be comfortable on, she was never comfortable riding on the Deuce. I saw the Street Glide and said that is the bike I wanted. Too this day I think the Street Glide is a better looking bike then the Road Glide.

I did a 4-hour rental at the local HD dealership. I took the Road Glide out first and immediately I knew it was the bike for me. The bike handles great and I found myself scraping the floorboards in turns. It is hard to describe but the bike is so easy to drive for its size. I prefer the stock seat of the Road Glide to the Street Glide seat. The Street Glide seat felt like it was missing some padding compared to the Road Glide. This is something that could be changed out on the Street Glide. The ride of the Street Glide felt a little bumpier then that of the Road Glide. On the freeway, I preferred the taller windscreen of the Road Glide. I always wear a full-face helmet and there was no wind buffeting on the Road Glide. However the height of the Road Glide windscreen bisects my eyes. I will eventually buy a taller windscreen. When I road the Street Glide on the freeway, the smaller windscreen allowed the air to hit my upper body causing wind buffeting to my head. Driving off the freeway at slower speeds and there was little to no wind buffeting on the Street Glide. I did not even use the cruise control on the rental but now when I amon the freeway for long rides I use it. The Street Glide does not come with cruise control.

Both are great bikes but in their stock configuration the Road Glide is a better riding bike in my opinion. Again, I think the Street Glide is a better looking bike in my opinion but when I get on my Road Glide it is instant smiles.

If I did not do the rental I would have bought the Street Glide by looks alone and specifications provided by the HD. Do yourself a favor and rent both and decide which one fits you better. The 4-hour rental at my dealership allowed me to ride any bike in their inventory with out any additional charges. When I purchased my bike (2007 Road Glide)they subtracted rental fee from my purchase.
Good luck in your decision.

Old 10-13-2007 | 08:24 PM
scofield333
Cruiser

As you can see by all the comments, you either love the RG or Hate it. I wanted a touring bike that handled well and when I rode the RG that was it for me. They are both great bikes and you can't go wrong with either one.

[IMG]local://upfiles/33788/E8F4C12B613245AC82D10929DF841220.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/33788/5F90600C41724368A8E61BFA06789473.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-13-2007 | 08:34 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Grunt66

............The Street Glide does not come with cruise control..........
For $239.00 you can add cruise to any '08 Touring bike that did not come with it. $339.00 for earlier modles.

Quick Reply: road glide or street glide?