Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP NEEDED ASAP: Loud Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Peyts
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP NEEDED ASAP: Loud Pipes

I am looking for some advice... here's my story:

I just sold my 06 Sportster XL1200. I had installed a set of Vance & Hines straightshots slip-ons on the bike, and boy were they LOUD! Loved them! They actually turned heads while I was spinning the strip at the Sturgis Rally this year. Anyway, sold the bike because the old lady decided that she wants to start joining in on my fun (no big surprise, eh?). So I just bought an '07 ElectraGlide Classic... great ride, nice bike. But I NEED a set of pipes for it... the stock pipes make the bike sound like a Honda Davidson!

I am looking for a set of LOUD pipes, with a deep throaty sound and a great bark.

I am have narrowed my decision to the following slip-ons:

- Vance & Hines Turndowns
- Rinehart
- Bub 7

I have never had the opportunity to actually hear, in person, any of these pipes... let me explain that. I have heard a set of V&H oval slip-ons on a Road King... nice sound, but too quiet (not nearly as loud as the ones I had on my Sporty). I heard the V&H turndown slip-ons on the V&H website... they sound impressive. I have also heard the Rinehart slip-ons on some YouTube postings... again, they sound impressive. And I can't find a thing on the Bub 7 pipes. But what do these sound like on the bike, in person, riding down the highway?

SUGGESTIONS? Again, I want LOUD, DEEP THROATY SOUND, GREAT BARK.

Cheers! And happy to be part of this forum!

Old 10-13-2007, 11:50 AM
DonnyI
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: HELP NEEDED ASAP: Loud Pipes

Rineharts with performance baffles, loud & deep & they make good power.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:53 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Try a search.... Then you can spend all day reading as there are 100's of threads here that address just that issue.........

SOUND 101:
The sound you putt makes is a "ME THING" - What you may consider LOUD to another is just OK.... Get out and put your EARS TO WORK... When you hear THAT SOUND that turns your head... Go over to the rider and ask questions...

Old 10-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Peyts
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: SoCal_Pappy

Try a search.... Then you can spend all day reading as there are 100's of threads here that address just that issue.........

SOUND 101:
The sound you putt makes is a "ME THING" - What you may consider LOUD to another is just OK.... Get out and put your EARS TO WORK... When you hear THAT SOUND that turns your head... Go over to the rider and ask questions...
I HAVE been searching like crazy... and that is why I am looking for some honest, straight-to-the-point answers here... the searching hasn't really done much for me, except confuse me even more. As for getting out and putting my ears to work... I ride all the time here with different people... I haven't had the opportunity to hear any of the pipes that I listed in my original post. Just don't have anywhere else to go to hear them.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:02 PM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Try Thunderheader

Old 10-13-2007, 12:05 PM
IceHeritage
Road Master

When i bought my Bike I was thinking the same thing, I started out with SE Performance Pipes and then changed to whatI Consider one of if not Thee Loudest Pipes THUNDERHEADERS

Old 10-13-2007, 12:09 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

call eastern performance cycle, vance and hines dresser duals, then slipons of your choice the dual headpipes are 339.00, a set of rush 2 1/2" slip ons and that baby'll be loud!
deep and loud, i guess there's louder out there but I don't see how they could be much louder. when I bought the rush mufflers they were 278.00

Old 10-13-2007, 12:20 PM
rkcrwlr
Tourer

Keep in mind too, that the baggers gennerally direct sond to the rear, whereas a lot of the Sportys, etc have thier discharge more side ways. Both bikes at the same decibal and the sporty will sound "louder" to the rider of bystander. I have Rineharts. They sing well, but are no where near the Sportys in the group. My $0.02

Old 10-13-2007, 12:24 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Any slipons on the stock header pipes will probably never sound as good as the pipes on your sporty. I think it has to do with the length of the pipe that changes the sound so much. If you want loud and decent performance a 2 into 1 thunderheader will do it for you, it's defineitly a head turner.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Peyts
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: rideon

Any slipons on the stock header pipes will probably never sound as good as the pipes on your sporty. I think it has to do with the length of the pipe that changes the sound so much. If you want loud and decent performance a 2 into 1 thunderheader will do it for you, it's defineitly a head turner.

I see that you have Rineharts on yours... are you happy with them? Are these nice and loud? Are they slip-ons or the full set?

Quick Reply: HELP NEEDED ASAP: Loud Pipes