Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP NEEDED ASAP: Loud Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Peyts
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP NEEDED ASAP: Loud Pipes

OK, got the Rush slip-ons with 2.5" baffles. Don't know what to say, but WOW!
These are exactly what I was looking for! VERY VERY VERY happy! They areLOUD with adeep bass rumble... and they make a fantastic sound when you crack the throttle. Yup, I'mpleased with my decision. Thanks again to Glens & Brewdog!

Cheers!

Old 10-25-2007, 04:25 PM
brewdog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Peyts,
Glad to hear you're as satisfied as I am.The 300 bucksI saved on pipes went toward my SE Race Tuner and SE Air Cleaner. Love that Rush rumble.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:37 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't remap your ECU either directly or with a piggyback unit (I don't remember what you've said you had or planned to do) then leave me out of this!

I'm pretty sure I've told you that I feel the 2" is bumping the maximum of what the stock ECU programming can/wants to handle.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Peyts
Road Captain

Glens... no worries, bro. I have received the SE air cleaner, but haven't put it on yet. I also finally ordered the PCIII from Fuelmoto yesterday... requested the mapping for my bike, and also the rev limited to be upgraded. So hopefully it will be here next week. Once the PCIII arrives, I will change out the air cleaner as well... then the Stage 1 will be complete.

Thanks again, guys! Cheers!

Old 10-26-2007, 02:41 PM
OregonRoadKing
Tourer

I just got my bike back from its 1K with a2-into-1 V&H. Now it really sounds like a Harley. Some like the two exhaust look, some like the 2-into-1 look, but man everyone likes the sound of this set up. People turn around and look. The stock exhaust was just a little too mild for me, I'm happy now.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:04 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Peyts

I have received the SE air cleaner, but haven't put it on yet. I also finally ordered the PCIII ... Once the PCIII arrives, I will change out the air cleaner as well...
I'm assuming you've already installed the mufflers, then. What you're going to need to do, when you get all your parts ready to assemble, is put the stock mufflers back on with the stock airbox and ride it around in steady closed-loop mode for a half-hour or so. (That's likely overkill on the time, but better to be thorough than not.) This will reset your ECU's "AFV". That's if you've ridden the bike with just the mufflers installed. If you have, the AFV will effectively change the mapping of your ECU and, trust me on this, the PC-III will be modifying signals that will be improperly rich for its settings. The result will not be to your liking if the AFV isn't reset. You could also swing by the dealer and have them do it with their Digital Technician if you don't want to hear the sewing machine anymore after hearing the Rushes. But if you do that ($$) you'll have to have the PC-III in place already, (probably) disconnect it for the reset, and then reconnect it. If you do, don't put the O2 sensors back in line with the freer-breathing stuff. Not even for a minute. Or you'll risk "messing up" the AFV again.

If you want to experiment, try bypassing the PC-III and putting the O2 sensors back into service and ride with your exhaust/air-cleaner for a few minutes with the bike warm. Then put the PC-III and O2 eliminators back into service and see how crappily the bike runs. You'll probably not be able to pull much past 4000 rpm!

You can also leave the PC-III in service with the other stuff and put the O2 sensors back into service as well. This is another good way to "mess up" the AFV and ruin the experience.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Peyts
Road Captain

Sh*t, Glens... I'm glad that you got back to me on this! I had ABSOLUTELY NO idea that it would make any difference at all. Guess I'm used to the carb system still.

Of course I installed the new pipes already... I was sick and tired of my ride sounding like a Honda Davidson! Proud as hell of her now, though she is still running a bit lean as I get the odd backfire every now and again. I haven't ridden her much with the new pipes, and won't be doing a whole lot of riding this weekend.

The PCIII should be here this week... at least I hope that it is. Jamie shipped it out to me on Friday (2007-10-26) via USPS. Once the PCIII arrives, I will switch the pipes back, spin it for a bit (I'll just wear my skull neoprene mask so no one can see me on the "Honda Davidson") and then make all the conversions. Anything else that I should know or do before I make the switch?

I do appreciate all the help, bro. Cheers!

Old 10-27-2007, 10:44 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

I've told Jamie he should make this information readily available both on his website and to his customers directly. He says the adaptive fuel value(s) aren't maintained between running sessions. Just try what I suggested as an experiment to see for yourself. I hope the guys in his shop are reseting the AFVs before they develop their canned maps. The one for my 2" Rushes definitely needs it to be reset to work well.

By way of disclaimer, since I don't have concrete documentation on this feature: If the values are indeed not saved between engine shutdowns then I've had an uncanny series/combination of glitches in my system, because everything I've done, consistently, has pointed to them being reused the next time the engine runs.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Peyts
Road Captain

No disclaimer needed. Cheers again, eh!

Old 10-27-2007, 01:51 PM
catracho
Road Captain

My opinion is Thunderheader 2in1 .