Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP NEEDED ASAP: Loud Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 12:35 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts
Default RE: HELP NEEDED ASAP: Loud Pipes

ORIGINAL: Peyts

ORIGINAL: rideon

Any slipons on the stock header pipes will probably never sound as good as the pipes on your sporty. I think it has to do with the length of the pipe that changes the sound so much. If you want loud and decent performance a 2 into 1 thunderheader will do it for you, it's defineitly a head turner.

I see that you have Rineharts on yours... are you happy with them? Are these nice and loud? Are they slip-ons or the full set?
They are the true duals, they sound good but are very loud with high compression, maybe even as loud as a thunder header. Personally I think the t header sounds better and will give you a touch better performance, but both are nice sounding pipes for sure.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Peyts
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that the D&D slip-ons are LOUD as well... any thoughts?

Old 10-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Peyts
Road Captain

So far, Rineharts or Thunderheaders... but I just want slip-ons... what are Thunderheader slip-ons like? And what about the D&Ds?

Old 10-13-2007, 01:56 PM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you're just looking at slip-ons, I'd suggest a set of Rush 2.0s. Nice deepsounds if you get on em but reasonably quiet at low rpms.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:00 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the 2" Rush mufflers and while it sounds good to me riding solo, I can't hardly pick myself out of the pack when in one, so since he wants LOUD that probably isn't the solution. Having said that, I have to suggest them anyway and plead with the thread-starter to be reasonable and responsible with what he wants to do. His actions alone of making his motorcycle stand out sonicly probably won't be the reason we'll all get thumped sooner than later into running nothing but stock components. But his actions sure aren't going to do anything to slow that freight train down any if he makes it as loud as he possibly can.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:07 PM
IceHeritage
Road Master

You can get TunderHeader Slip ons and they are loud, they will hear you coming from a distance, especially if you are really Hitting it

Old 10-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Peyts
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: glens

I've got the 2" Rush mufflers and while it sounds good to me riding solo, I can't hardly pick myself out of the pack when in one, so since he wants LOUD that probably isn't the solution. Having said that, I have to suggest them anyway and plead with the thread-starter to be reasonable and responsible with what he wants to do. His actions alone of making his motorcycle stand out sonicly probably won't be the reason we'll all get thumped sooner than later into running nothing but stock components. But his actions sure aren't going to do anything to slow that freight train down any if he makes it as loud as he possibly can.
Glens...I appreciate your concerns, however I am no philanthropist... in essence, I am not gonna be the one who ruins it for all, but I am certainly not going to be a friggin conformist either. I want loud pipes. Period.

Perhaps we should all bow down to "the man" and make everything quiet? Or maybe we should install lowersettingfor speed & performance? Perhaps we should all stop riding, so as to protect the environment? Come on, man... seriously! Yeah, I want my bike to be loud. But not stupid. Do I want to be heard? Absolutely. But I'm not into removing baffles or any sh*t like that. And I'm not into punching the engine at red lights or stop signs... those are the morons that are gonna ruin it for everyone.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:32 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had Thunderheader slip-ons on a RK I had. I honestly never thought they were all that loud, although I could bring the decibles up, if I got on it.

We were sittin around BSing one nite, and I made the comment "I don't think my bike is really that loud".

One of my riding partners then explained to me that when he followed me, that every time I hit the gas (even gently), that the sound from my pipes activated the Vox on his Ultra.

The point of this, is your bike will sound louder to others behind and along side of you, than they do YOU, sitting in front of the hole the sound is coming out of.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Peyts
Road Captain

Thanks for the info about the Thunderheaders.

I managed to find someone with a set of Rineharts today, and took a listen... I LOVED them... only thing was that it was on a 110 motor, while mine is a 96. Don't think it will make a big difference. The guy at the Harley stealership said that I should also check out the D&D pipes.

So...

- RINEHARTS
- THUNDERHEADER Slip-on Thundercones (check them out at: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...:IT&ih=005 Would these be decent, considering that I would use the stock headers?)
- D&D
- BUB 7 (There have been some threads hereon the Bub 7 pipes... has anyone heard them or know anything about them??)

Interested in your thoughts...

Old 10-13-2007, 07:25 PM
poppa cooter
Tourer

i got rinehart true duals on my 07 ultra i think your making a good decision on just adding slip- ons, i also went from a sporty to a touring model and the driver does lose alot of sound do to them being back farther and under the bags, i do get alot of compliments on the sound of the rhineharts from the guys i ride with one friend said he likes the base from them but he also has a short shot style on his softail that just screams in his ear, another good thing about the rhineharts is i can still hear the radio and the wife if shes trying to tell me something. also if your state starts enforcing a noise act you can just take your slip-ons off and go back to stock always keep your stock ones it cant hurt. i dont know how different the true dual sound is from the slip-ons but this is my story and im sticken to it lol, good luck

Quick Reply: HELP NEEDED ASAP: Loud Pipes