Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unique Metal Creations Hard-Bag Guardian REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Puzzled
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unique Metal Creations Hard-Bag Guardian REVIEW

Unique Metal Creations Hard-Bag Guardian

October 6th I ordered a Hard Bag Guardian along with a Tour-Pac Guardian from Unique Metal creations. This was on a Saturday evening. Shortly after placing my order I received an order confirmation. The following Monday I received a shipping confirmation along with a tracking number. On Thursday my order arrived.

Upon opening the box the first thing I noticed was the speckle powder coat finish. The box isn’t as big as you would think is required to hold two stands. They were both in there separated by some packing paper to keep them from rubbing on each other. Included in the packaging were instructions. Instructions! We don’t need no stinking instructions. OK I admit I read them. After removing the Guardian’s from the box I was surprised at the size of them or there lack of. The pictures on the web site make them look much larger. This is not a bad thing. Looking the stand over they appear to be very well made. Along with the powder coatings great appearance comes all stainless steel hardware, rubber feet and end caps in all of the ends of the tubing.

Out to the garage with the Guardian stands in hand. Since I have extended bags my first concern was if they would fit on the Guardian stands. My second concern was having to empty the bags like you have to do with some of the other products available on the market.

I opened the Hard Bag Guardian and than removed one of my saddle bags from the motorcycle and placed it on the Guardian. The bag fit without a single problem. The rubber grommet on the bottom of the saddle bag locked over the Guardian’s rail holding my saddle bag firmly in place. Since this was the lighter of the two bags next was going to be the test of the heavy bag. Off the motorcycle it came and onto the Guardian. Not a single problem. My saddle bag extensions cleared everything on the Guardian. My first concern had been addressed and was no longer a concern.

Next were the weight issues I had heard of with other stands. I opted to go right for the gusto and removed the lighter of the two bags from the stand. The Guardian was as stable with one bag as it was with two. Lets try this with the saddle bag lid open, you know for experiment sakes. Not a single problem. I even applied some pressure to the lid to see if I could upset the balance of the Guardian, not a chance.

The Hard Bag Guardian has an adjustable rubber stop on each side. This allows for multiple angle positions for your bags. I opted to allow my bags to lean out and away from each other to eliminate the chance of them falling in toward each other. This is just a train of though preference as I don’t foresee the bags moving at all.

Unique Metal Creations offers a package deal which includes a Tour-Pac Guardian along with the Hard-Bag Guardian. It was such a good deal I couldn’t pass it up.

The Tour-Pac Guardian has the same quality features as the hard-Bag Guardian. The top rails of the Tour-Pac Guardian have a soft plastic cover over them eliminating the chance of scratching your Tour-Pac. Looking at this stand it sure looks like it could be used for a multitude of things. I have been storing my Tour-Pac since 01 in an array of not so safe ways and locations. Now was the time for a change. I placed my Tour-Pac on the stand and the fit was perfect. Since the Tour-Pac is a bit cumbersome it sure was nice to have the plastic on the top rails. Once in position the Tour-Pac is very stable. As stated in the instructions it is not recommended to open the Tour-Pac lid while on the Guardian, so I did. As Unique Metal Creations stated the Tour-Pac may become un-stable and right they are. I found if I moved the Tour-Pac to one side favoring the lid hinge closer to the Guardian I was able to open the lid without any stability issues. Than again how often does one go in the Tour-Pac when it is off of the motorcycle! Nothing holds the Tour-Pac in place so you are able to m

Old 10-13-2007, 08:37 AM
DonnyI
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Unique Metal Creations Hard-Bag Guardian REVIEW

Must have if ya got extended bags, nice design. For standard bags I run a couple strips of 1/2" body side molding on the bottom.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:41 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the review. I always take my bags off for each washing or even when I'm polishing my bike and have to go looking for blankets or soft rugs to place them on. Seems like the resolution to me.

Now show some pics of that Roadie with the extended bags ON THE BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![sm=drooldude.gif][sm=Flahssssss.gif][sm=coolness.gif]

Old 10-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Puzzled
Banned

Still a work in progress.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:58 AM
DonnyI
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Real sharp graphics, recessed plate & fender with a Tourpak bracket, nice work. Boomcans and stock lights with laydown look sharp too.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's see a picture of that whole bike. I'm thinkin' it looks pretty cool.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Puzzled
Banned

I went the stock light route as I wanted to be seen. The bike still has to function ala the tour-pac. The Boomcans are a "Boomcan look"they are just tipsI made.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:53 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

I love the look Mike. Those exhaust tips are the shiznits bro!!![sm=smiley20.gif] That big PHat back fender looks sweet as well! Everytime I see those tricked out bags I realize how cheesy the stock ones look.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:11 PM
Londonbike
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if the Guardian Saddlebag stand is still available? I have one but a friend of mine would like one but I tried their website which is not a good site anymore. This stand is great for the hard saddlebags for cleaning and storage when working on bike.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:52 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I use the large clear rubber bumpers that are used for cabinet doors on the bottom of my bags. One on each corner. They keep the bags stable and elevated off of the ground when they are not on the bike.

Quick Reply: Unique Metal Creations Hard-Bag Guardian REVIEW