Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ticking after warm up

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 10:22 AM
debay
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ticking after warm up

My bike has made the same sound since new. 16,000 miles now and i still hear the ticking. Its louder @ 60 to 65 miles a hour then goes away as you increase the speed or ride below 60. Asked the dealer at 1,000 mile service was told normal . My bike makes different noise at different times its a HARLEY

Old 10-13-2007, 11:09 AM
beemer737
Tourer

Interesting your using amsoil and it's ticking. As an oil connoisseur (yes, I had to look it up) I tried them all except amsoil, I found Mobil 1 to be cheapest, quitest, easiest to find. However, I wanted to give it a try so last change i went amsoil, and now I have a lifter ticking till it warms up. I'm going back to mobil 1.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Storm 4 U
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to agree with the gent who suggested a stethescope
A little history here so hopefully no one has to go through what I just did

I heard that ticking noise too, also seemed to hear a hollow
sound on the rear jug at start up which quickly went away.
Sounded like a valve wasn't seating. Anyway during a routine
oil change I inquired about this and the mechanic said eveything was OK.
Long story short, a few weks ago coming down the road that ticking sound got a lot worse.
Towed it home and then to the shop. Mechanic started pulling it down and found some
unusual wear at the rocker arms etc.. but when he pulled the nose cone off to get in the cam chest
low and behold he found a lifter which had started to come apart. Told him to pull it down to the case.
Found scored barrels and a few other niceties. So I am in the process of a rebuild.
Now what really sucks is that I only have 18K on a performance build. In talking with the
companythat designs the engine package they recommend lifters be changed at 20 -25K intervels.
Had I known this I would have changed the lifters and certainly sprung for the best lifters available.
In all fairness to the shop that built it there were onl 4k on the lifters originally.
So please learn from my mistakes

Old 10-13-2007, 11:29 AM
flharleycop
Cruiser

I just came back from a ride about 2000 miles. A bud's bike an 07 Road King was making that clicking at idle only, I thought it was getting louder so we stopped into a dealer in Alabama. They found that the cam tensioner was not as tight as it was suppose to be. They fixed it and out the door with no click at all. Not sure if its the same sound but it sounded like a lifter click to me before they fixed it.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:34 AM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typical HD valve clatter, it drives me crazy at about 2400-2800 is when I hear it the most. I gues if I wanted a quiet bike I would have bought a Gold Wing! It's the nature of the beast!

Old 10-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: beemer737

Interesting your using amsoil and it's ticking. As an oil connoisseur (yes, I had to look it up) I tried them all except amsoil, I found Mobil 1 to be cheapest, quitest, easiest to find. However, I wanted to give it a try so last change i went amsoil, and now I have a lifter ticking till it warms up. I'm going back to mobil 1.
Mine does that too. I think you will find the bigger spring on the high lift cams will force the tappets to blead down. Possibly it is easier to bleed down with the amzoil because it is thinner.
As long as it goes away after start up I'll leave it like it is.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:39 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

this ticking just started recently. but i will leave it be for now until it gets really bad. i understand its a harley its going to make noise. also the way i look at it i have a big azz motor between my legs. i would expect to hear noise. it just that i am starting to hear this more and more after warm up.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:52 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well it's your bike and money, do what you think is best.
But if you're hearing it more and more, I'd be concerned.
Investigate it now and fix it for a couple hundred or later for a thousand.
But like I said it's your money.
ORIGINAL: bulldogmoe7

this ticking just started recently. but i will leave it be for now until it gets really bad. i understand its a harley its going to make noise. also the way i look at it i have a big azz motor between my legs. i would expect to hear noise. it just that i am starting to hear this more and more after warm up.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:45 AM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: choochoo

well it's your bike and money, do what you think is best.
But if you're hearing it more and more, I'd be concerned.
Investigate it now and fix it for a couple hundred or later for a thousand.
But like I said it's your money.
ORIGINAL: bulldogmoe7

can we say warrenty?

Old 10-14-2007, 07:08 AM
Phins74
Cruiser

My 07 RK Classic has had what I call lifter noise since new. I changed to Redline and it seemed to get louder than the Rev Tech dino I drained out. I think I'm going to put the Rev Tech back in and see what happens. Especially since the 95 degree days should be gone for a while. It is irritating. The only complaint I have with my RK, since the stage one solved the heat and made it sound like a Harley should.

Quick Reply: ticking after warm up