Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

`03 ultra with repaired title

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:14 AM
cst010
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default `03 ultra with repaired title

I am concidering the purchase of an `03 ultra with 9K miles. The concern is that the bike has a repaired title. From my understanding, the bike was damaged at 1800 miles and repaired. I have not riden the bike but I cannot see any evidence of damage. Also, from my understanding the bike was hit from behind and the damage was cosmetic. After doing some research on this site it appears there is mixed feelings about repaired/salvaged titles. My question is what is the risk of purchasing an ultra with such a title? I would most likly keep this bike for some time--hopefully forever. If I do take the bike for a test ride, what should I look (feel) for? I currently ride (have always ridden)a sportster so this will be a bigchange for me. The asking price is 10,5--. I have been looking at touring models and I am on the fence with the ultra over a road glide--this one just seems priced right.

Your thoughts/comments are greatly appreciated!

Old 10-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: `03 ultra with repaired title

Generally a Repaired/Salvage Title meansthe bike was deemed a total loss at some point.

Not saying it's a bad bike, but more than cosmetic damage.

Sammi

Old 10-12-2007, 11:28 AM
EvilDave
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you are going to keep this bike as bikes with non-standard titles are REALLY hard to sell. Also consult your insurance provider and make sure they will give you coverage. A lot of carriers will not cover bikes that were previously totaled. IMO 10.5 is a little pricey for an 03 unless it has a LOT of extras.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:29 AM
AZdryheat
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

My understanding is that a repaired/salvage title is issued when the insurance company feels the bike is a total loss to them. I would be suspicious of any damage that affects the bike's title; sounds like ascam to me if it's being called 'cosmetic'. You risk the money you give the seller. What recourse do you have if the bike is a POS? If the bike was honestly rebuilt, as some are, maybe the invoice is available so you can see what all was damaged, fixed, and who did the work. My gut reaction is to look elsewhere for an undamaged ride if you intend to keep it a long time.

PS - rent an undamaged ultra and compare the two rides.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:29 AM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior

I agree with Sammi.

Be careful. Check with the laws in your state regarding the purchase and sale of salvage titled vehicles.

If you get to take the bike for a ride, listen for "loose" sounds, etc. You'll know, based on riding motorcycles what the "feel" is. If possible, try to do more investigation as to why there is a salvage title. My guess it was MUCH more that cosmetic. Salvage title usually = total loss.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:36 AM
cavedog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an '01 Heritage with a repair title. First of all there is a differance between repair and salvage. A salvage title means that the damage to the bike was more than the value of the bike. A repair title means that there was some damage to the bike but cost less than the value of the bike to repair. My Heritage was a great bike. Had $6000 in accs. I kept it over a year, sold it because the wife wanted an Ultra Classic. It was a great bike, Rode great, Handled great.

You need to ride the Ultra. Get it on a level and straight road. Cruise about 50 and have a light grip on the bars. See how it handles. As for the price, that is up to you. But do check with your insurance co. I had no problem getting insurance on mine.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:40 AM
cst010
Cruiser

Thanks gentlemen. I am renting a ultra for the weekend so I will have something to make the comparison. I had not considered speaking with my insurance company and that is great suggestion also!

Old 10-12-2007, 11:48 AM
DonnyI
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Stay clear of repair titles unless you are very confident in your inspection, test ride and price. Resale can be tough.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:26 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So if you have an accident and your bike is repaired does your title get changed to "repaired". I don't think that happens with autos why do it with bikes?

How much "repair" does it take to have your title changed to "repaired"?

I confused.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:44 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dont buy a salvage title bike unless you are going to part it out IMO. The book value on them is 0, banks wont lend a dime against them and dealers wont take them on trades....

Quick Reply: `03 ultra with repaired title