Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latch on my saddle bags will not stay down

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 11:13 AM
CharlieZ
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latch on my saddle bags will not stay down

I have an 05 FLHRI Road King with the hard lockable saddle bags. I have one bag where the latch will not stay down. I can close the latch, but when riding down the road the latch will come up. I have had my bags off for cleaning and that is when the problem started. The latch does not look adjustable. Is there a specific way to put the saddle bags back on the bike. Is the latch adjustable.

Old 12-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Inforit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Latch on my saddle bags will not stay down

I had the same problem, I used some wd40 in between the hinges and it locks in place without popping up. I could not even close it without locking it becuase it would pop up. Hope it helps.

Old 12-11-2005, 11:39 AM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain

I checked my service manual for the 04 touring models and there are no adjustments on the latches. The only thing that i can think of is that your latch might be bent. They should not pop open while riding, but if you want to stop that from happening....just lock the latch when you close it and it should not pop open anymore. The bag can only be installed one way and there is not a way to install it crooked since the bar on the bottom sits in a groove on the bag and the two fasteners that hold it in, will only line up correctly in one place.

Good luck and examine it closely. You might find something lodged in the latch or on the lid keeping it from closing all the way.

Ride on.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/494/554B0BA72020486BBA6154D78FF54A62.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-11-2005, 12:57 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure both catches are hooked properly at the back before you close down the latch. If one is not caught just right your latch will pop up on you.

Old 12-11-2005, 01:18 PM
RyanMC1
6th Gear

As the others have said make sure the front and rear latches are inserted properly. Look at both sides and compare. It might not be catching right. Sometimes I have to tweak it a little. Also make sure you lock the bags while you are riding.

Old 12-11-2005, 01:29 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

I have the same problem, but only when I have the bag full, locked or not it pop s open. After closing the lid I check it, try to pull up on it and it seems like it is locked solid. Then a couple hundred miles discover it is open again. Complained to the dealer and they didn't have and answer. Said as some of you posted, it's not adjustable. [:@][:@][:@]

Old 12-11-2005, 01:41 PM
06glide
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same problem as well on my Street Glide, but I found that the lid was not properly seated and that the catches on the lid were not inserted fully into the catch on the bag.

Old 12-11-2005, 08:47 PM
daharleyrdr
Tourer

Yo Charlie Z, FandangoZ, 06 Glide I'm gonna tell ya my brothers how to fix this and the reason I'm an expert on this is It happened to my 05 Road King when I first got it and it drove me effin crazy because it never happened to the mechanic when he test rode the bike, after I complained. I would go for a ride and the left bag latch would pop open, or up. The mechanic at my home dealer Liberty HD in New Jersey found the cause. Apparently the lid when closed creased the fabric on the condura piece that holds the top lid to the saddlebag so when you open and then close it it won't close tight enough to seal and lock. To fix it the fabric piece either has to be replaced or like the mechanic did for me a cheaper fix un bolt if from the lid and bag take it off turn it upside down and put it back together The only thing is that now the HARLEY DAVIDSON LOGO on the fabric piece is now upside down who cares you can't see it. Since that simple fix the lid or saddlebag hasn"t give me a problem since,works perfect! Ride Safe Brother, Bill NYC.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:26 AM
CharlieZ
Tourer

Thanks daharleyrdr. I will try to flip the fabric under the lid.
charlie from Alabama

Old 12-13-2005, 03:11 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed that mine will pop open if I cram too much stuff in the saddlebag.

Quick Reply: Latch on my saddle bags will not stay down