Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT - Chevy Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:59 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OT - Chevy Colorado

Being a 30 yeartechnician with GM and owning a 2005 Chevy Colorado for less than 5 months..I would advise against it.
First and foremost would be the cylinder head/valve issues. GM has revised the TSB 7 to 8 times to try and address this problem.
They have tried everything to fix it, but due to head design nothing will, except cylinder head replacement with the new designed head. The cooling jackets on the original heads did a poor job of allowing the coolant to remove heat. This caused valve face to seat face problems. The engine will start to miss anywhere from 30K to 45K miles. Just after the warranty period expires. The head needs to be replaced.
Mine had 5K miles on it when I dumped it. It is under powered, handles like crap and when you put anything in the bed it sags big-time.
The fuel economy is crappy and when loaded it gets evenworse.
The interior room is really bad. The driver position has your legs pushed to one-side with no relief on long trips. I loaded 2 of my sport bike in the bed and drove 350 miles one-way. It was the worst trip ever. The next day I dumped it in trade for a Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 QuadCab Pickup. My 3rd Dodge Diesel. Never again. It`s more of GM S-10 Junk..JMO

Old 10-13-2007, 04:23 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I own a f150, '01 with a v6, extended cab with 91k miles. More than enough truck for me. It will do fine with the bike in the back, I am sure. Heck, I loaded 2 ton of rock in the bed, and had no trouble. I love Ford's. My dad is a retired CEO of Ford Aerospace, so I have always liked perfered them. I have own several GM cars, and have had nothing but trouble with all of them. I will never, willingly, buy one again. I also had a ford ranger, regular cab, back in my single days. Being young, I didn't care anything about maintaining the truck (more money for drinking, LOL[8D]). When I sold it, it had 171k miles on it. I had changed the tranmission fluid once, and done only two oil changes. It never gave me one lick of trouble. I still miss that truck, and would still have it if I didn't have to have a vehicle that would fit a wife and a car seat at the same time, LOL.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:11 AM
skateboard
Road Warrior

About the only thing I'd change on mine would be the turning radius.It turns to wide for me.[/align]

Old 10-13-2007, 10:50 AM
joe297
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: drdiesel1
Never again. It`s more of GM S-10 Junk..JMO
I would've defended my garage kept '03 S-10 from being junk until this past summer (rusted out rotors and ball joints at 37K). And it's not just my Chevy. Several late model Chevy company trucks regularly need front rotors/front end repairs at 15K-20K intervals where I work. I just had my company truck rotors replaced at 18K. By comparison I baby my personal truck. The rotors weren't worn out, they rusted on the outside edge at nearly a 45 degree angle - unsalvageable, couldn't be cut. And that's all 4 of them! The pads were the same too even tho they had less than 50% wear. I've never seen anything like that before in any of my previous cars/trucks. What kind of junk are they putting in these days anyway.

Even so, I'd still take my S-10 over a new Colorado. That's like going from bad to worse. Now if only I could get rid of the damn turbo-lag feel of my 4.3L without having to drop in a small block. My 4.0 Cherokee could blow the doors of this thing - and get better gas mileage at the same time This is going to be my last Chevy.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:17 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I miss my '01 F-150 Supercrew.............that was a sweet truck. But the 14 mpg was killing me, and the exhaust was gone, and the rear shocks were gone, there was a rear axle leak, and the front end had a nasty vibration develop right before I traded it.

I'm going to at least take a Colorado for a test ride and see how it is, then I'll worry about the head after.

Steve

Old 10-13-2007, 06:23 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

I miss my '01 F-150 Supercrew.............that was a sweet truck. But the 14 mpg was killing me, and the exhaust was gone, and the rear shocks were gone, there was a rear axle leak, and the front end had a nasty vibration develop right before I traded it.

I'm going to at least take a Colorado for a test ride and see how it is, then I'll worry about the head after.

Steve
The Chevy only gets 16 MPG with a best of 18.My F-ing 07 Jeep gets better than that pig and has more power. My Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4Diesel gets a best of 21 with an average of 18. You`ll be sorry if you buy it. I bought mine brand-new and dumped it within 5000 miles. It was the biggest pile of crap I have ever owned. Mark my words, becauseyou will have engine misfire problems. Just look at the bulletins on that truck and you`ll find out what I`m talking about...[8D]Junk...Don`t do it.[:@]

Old 10-15-2007, 07:57 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went today and took the truck for a test ride. It's a nice truck, plenty of room inside, rode like a truck, power was OK, and it ran good.
Now for the fun stuff...............working the numbers to make the deal work for me.

Steve

Old 10-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally I would never own another GM product again. Every one I have owned I have had either mechanical or fit and finish problems with.

Right now I have an 07 F-150 STX with the 4.2 V-6. Plenty of truck for what I need. Good gas mileage (around 20 mpg with a tonneau) very roomy, and plenty of hauling capability. I went with the V-6 because I knew the biggest thing I would be towing would be a small trailer. You might want to look into getting another F-150. They have a $4500 rebate on the 07 models right now.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:07 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

I had a Tacoma also, but that was just too small.

I'm betting you had a '04 and back Tacoma. Check out the '05-up Tacomas. They are much larger and have way more power.