Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 03:21 PM
genedjr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ethanol

I believe the original post on corosion was for methonal. And it is much more corrosive than ethenol or gas.
But I do have a question -the basic premise of the creation of ethonal is the presense of a food, sugar and the appropriate bacteria.
If the ethanol production plants are producing food side products andsweetner side products, why are they not producing more ethanol?

And all of the pricing I have seen for ethanol is for the product at manufacture. But I agree, if they used the current gas distribution centers, volume would go up and price would go down.

...gene

Old 10-17-2007, 04:16 PM
texaspirate
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can run your HD motor fine on 10% ethanol which is now a standard in all gasoline grades in the USA. Once MTBE fuel additive to enhance octane levels was removed due to water table pollution another octane enhancer needed to be used. Ethanol was best choice since methanol is more volatile and corrosive. Brazil is currently the most advanced county in the use of ethanol. It is made with the residual byproduct (waste) in making sugar. Hawaii (Maui) has been using sugar cane byproducts for the last 50 years to fuel their power plants. Only the growth of the island economy made Maui to use addtional resources for power production. Ethanolis less harmful to the engine ifthe components are designed for ethanol. A good majority of automobiles already are designed to handle ethanol fuels.Currently 85% ethanol is the maximum in the US, since in cold weather you need gasoline to start the engine. 100% ethanol you cannot light off below 30°F. Brazil does not have cold weather issues when they run 100% enthanol. Ethanol produces more horsepower to gallon of fuel and burns completely in the combustion chamber compared to gasoline.It is facttoday you will not be able to get 100% oil based gasoline (except racing fuel) in the United States. Older engines will have more issues as the government mandates increases in ethanol to gasoline ratios. Some midwestern states are already using 20% as their minimum.
This is information only (I know since I work for an oil company)! Even we in the oil business see this as an issue for our future business.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:31 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Texaspirate, the only statement I would question from your post is the hp produced from ethanol vs. gasoline. All research articles I've ever read, and personal experience, tells me otherwise. Here is a link from Consumer Reports mileage tests that shows less power, i.e. mileage, being produced.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...nol_test_1.htm

I think I have proven to myself about a 10% lower mpg on the Ultra when I run 91+ octane ethanol vs our 91 octane "Collector vehicle gas" (non-ethanol).

The E-85 vehicles get a very noticeable lower mileageon E85than when running 10% ethanol as well, but it is much cheaper per gallon than gas in our locale. Today is was $2.24 per gallon, ethanol was $2.49 .

We used to have to add Heet to our gas all winter long to prevent gas line freeze. Since ethanol came on the market, that is no longer necessary, as it absorbs moisture as soon as it condenses.

Initially, a lot of people had trouble the first time they ran ethanol on used cars, as there was so much gunk in the tank already that the ethanol broke loose, and many fuel filters were initially replaced. That's been the only problem as far as cars.