Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles can one reasonabley go per day?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007 | 07:33 PM
SmokinRK
|
Advanced
Default How many miles can one reasonabley go per day?

Me and my fiance are heading down to Maggie Valley, NC this Sat. to spend a week riding in the mountains. I was planning on using a trailer of my buddies but just found out it fell through. So after looking at trailers tonight here in NE Ohio, I am contemplating just having her follow me down in the truck.

The mileage to our destination is about 566. Is that a reasonable distance to cover on my RK in one day?
I thing the most I have done in a day was 385mi and that was on my stock seat.

We plan on doing some trailer shopping while down there, it looks like you get more for your money down south.
Anyone from the area have any recommendations of vendors to check out?

Thanks

Old 10-11-2007 | 07:35 PM
chornbe
Road Master
Default RE: How many miles can one reasonabley go per day?

ORIGINAL: SmokinRK

Me and my fiance are heading down to Maggie Valley, NC this Sat. to spend a week riding in the mountains. I was planning on using a trailer of my buddies but just found out it fell through. So after looking at trailers tonight here in NE Ohio, I am contemplating just having her follow me down in the truck.

The mileage to our destination is about 566. Is that a reasonable distance to cover on my RK in one day?
I thing the most I have done in a day was 385mi and that was on my stock seat.

We plan on doing some trailer shopping while down there, it looks like you get more for your money down south.
Anyone from the area have any recommendations of vendors to check out?

Thanks
Oh hell yeah. That's an easy day of riding. I routinely do 500-800 mile days when I'm traveling (if they're not sight-seeing days) on bikes way less comfy than the Harley.

Old 10-11-2007 | 07:38 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member

Easy as pie, solo. That might change if the future wife is on the back though.

CN

Old 10-11-2007 | 07:41 PM
RDM
Road Master

500 per day is normal when the OL is with me on the bike. That takes 8.5 to 9 hours, depending on how many times she has to pee.

Old 10-11-2007 | 07:45 PM
Ol Biker
Road Master

The mileage is very do-able, as stated. Since you're going down to do some riding, why not leave the cage at home? Some nice country down through Ohio - - better yet, head east into West VA. There are some really great roads for two-wheeling heading into NC!

Old 10-11-2007 | 07:53 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Very doable on superslab or other limited access highways.

Old 10-11-2007 | 07:56 PM
folkxrock
Cruiser

300-400 mile days are pretty enjoyable. You will have plenty of time to stop, sight-see, shop, whatever makes your trip.
600 Mile days are long, but not unreasonable. I have did a couple 800 mile days - that gets pretty long.
The thing to remember is plan your fuel stops if you ever want to make time. If you stretch you fuel, you can usually knock off an entire fuel stop each day - that will help you pickupa lot of time/miles.

Old 10-11-2007 | 07:57 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member

It depends on how much of a distance rider you are, and she is, and how many long day rides you have done together. If you both don't usually get up at 6AM and have 100 miles on before breakfast then maybe you don't want to be quite as aggressive with your planning.

I know, I can easily do a 500 mile day, by myself, but doing it with Mama... that's another story.

Nothing wrong with having her follow you down and having all that spare room for luggage and warm clean clothes and such.

Or, ride together but break up the trip and stay someplace halfway there.

The joy is in the journey after all.

Old 10-11-2007 | 07:58 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member

500 mile ride-day solo or 2-up is a cake walk... 800 miles a day is a good days ride!!

Old 10-11-2007 | 08:03 PM
MACK
Road Warrior

Thats easy. I have done many over 1,000 mile trips and several as long as 1200. Wasnt tired then just at my destination. But of course an ULTRA makes a difference. You are doing respectable on a RK.

Quick Reply: How many miles can one reasonabley go per day?