Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles can one reasonabley go per day?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007 | 08:58 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: How many miles can one reasonabley go per day?

It depends on you and how well the bike is set up for you but should be easy.

Old 10-12-2007 | 09:03 AM
rideon
Road Warrior

I think a good seat is the key and if you have the stock seat on the king that kinda miles is gonna be hard on the future wifes ****! If you had a nice cushy two up seat, I wouldn't give it a second thought, have fun.

Old 10-12-2007 | 09:46 AM
RonB
Cruiser

If your RK is set up for touring, 500 is not a bad ride, if you have the factory seat both of you will be miserable before you get to Cincinnati.

Old 10-12-2007 | 10:07 AM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member

500-600 is reasonable if you have done some long rides together, or if you're not in a hurry split it up and take two days and enjoy some sights along the way.

If I am running long days I generally run two hours in the saddle, stop for a break and fuel, repeat

Old 10-12-2007 | 10:49 AM
acedantinne
Tourer

Have done Iron Butt ride 3 times. Trouble walking after.
600 miles With good weather should not be a problem.
Good motorcycle seat, highway pegs, drink water, air dries you out, stretch your legs, body after fueling.
You'll be there before you know it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21466/054D62B33F8B45CDB29F25C276E797A6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-12-2007 | 12:24 PM
madurodave
Road Captain

I rode 600 miles 1 way with my wife this summer. 1 day riding. Combo of small country roads and some highway. This was her 1st ling ride. Just make sure your seat is comfy. I use the Sundowner that matches my RKC.

Highway - no problem what-so-ever!

Old 10-12-2007 | 12:51 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member

I use a 50 mph "rule of thumb" for planning trips.

However, if you stop for tourist attractions, shopping, sit down meals, etc these activities will lower that average.

YMMV

Old 10-12-2007 | 01:11 PM
ctmedic
Road Captain

My wife and I have done350 mile days, and Alone have done about 700. Here are a couple of sugestions.
Highway riding without alot of traffic is much easier.

Goodnight sleep before hand, Pack everything on the bike the night before. Nothing worse then running around that morning thinking about last minute items.
1. Fuel up the night before or figure your first stopwithin50 miles. (Lets you check all your luggage ensuring yourload has not shifted or needs some tightning)
2. Your next leg should be if possible 120-140 miles You will need fuel if you fueled the night before, and even if you fueled at 50 miles your going to need a stretch, hit the bathroom and thendrink some fluids. Water/Juice or so one.
3.Your next legshould be a good one as well. Full belly, and by another 120 or so miles your bladder or yourwifes will be screaming!!!
4. From this point your legs should get alittle shorter averaging about 70% of your farthest leg. Rememberto keep hydrated even in the cooler weather your body will lose fluids,from convection.

If its just you and your wife, you will be fine using this, but if your in a group remember you will never go further then the "weakest " link.

Good luck and have a safe trip
Frank

Old 10-12-2007 | 01:16 PM
bllx
Intermediate

as others have suggested it is about conditions and time spent in the seat rather tham miles clocked. You should have no problem doing what you propose. For long days riding I use an airhawk, I can ride all day and still stand at a bar all night without a problem.

Old 10-12-2007 | 02:49 PM
SmokinRK
|
Advanced

ORIGINAL: NCCopBikeRider

From Ohio to Maggie Valley would be an nice ride.

Do stop at Wheels Through Time and take a look at the great bikes and cars Dale has on display.

Last itme we were there, he started a 1910 Pope and took it for a rode down town and then bakc to the Museum.

BTW Did you look at the small open Uhaul trailers?

Good Luck
Definetly planning to stop at the museum. I just talked to a buddy who said to take RT23 down at Columbus. He said it runs through Kentucky on the border of W.VA. He said it will put you back maybe an hour but is mostly double lane most of the way. He said it's worth it in just the scenery alone.

As far as a trailer? I've run out of options. So it looks like I will be riding with her following. I am leaving tomorrow around 7:am.
Thanks everyone for the information.

Quick Reply: How many miles can one reasonabley go per day?