Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles can one reasonabley go per day?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007 | 02:28 AM
t_m34
Tourer
Default RE: How many miles can one reasonabley go per day?

Make sure you hydrate and rest well the night before. That distance is no problem if you're rested and have a comfortable seat and your handlebars are set correctly. The seat is key. I did5 hoursor so on my Softtail with a low profile seat and it took me about two days to recover afterward. Then I rode a 9 hour day on the same bike with a Saddleman gel seat and I felt fine afterward.

Now I ride my RKC from Savannah to Baltimore occasionally TDY for the military and I can make it comfortably in 2 days, no sweat, and I'm sure if I pushed it I'd be able to do it in one extremely long day.

Old 10-12-2007 | 02:31 AM
t_m34
Tourer

Cruise control helps too...

Old 10-12-2007 | 06:09 AM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior

From Ohio to Maggie Valley would be an nice ride.

Do stop at Wheels Through Time and take a look at the great bikes and cars Dale has on display.

Last itme we were there, he started a 1910 Pope and took it for a rode down town and then bakc to the Museum.

BTW Did you look at the small open Uhaul trailers?

Good Luck

Old 10-12-2007 | 06:20 AM
TickTock
Club Member

When we run from central FL to Myrtle Beach and back again we try to leave around 4:30 a.m. This always works well because we can tick off the miles in cool weather and without the Traffic. It also gives you a chance to stop and have a meal and rest.

Old 10-12-2007 | 06:59 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

I always plan on 400 miles a day (8hr riding time @ 50mph average), but plans are for wimps. If I have a destination & no need to see the sights along the way it usually turns into 500/600. OTOH, we've had 150 mile days with lots of fun stops & sightseeing along the way, & our last run from a party to the house was 825. Point is, 400 is as good a "plan" as you need. Since it's a vacation with your motorcycle, go with what ever comes up.

Old 10-12-2007 | 07:25 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior

As everyone else has said 500-600 is a fairly easy ride. If the weather is cool resist the temptation for that morning cup of coffee, it actually makes me get much colder even when dressed in full leather and layers underneath, plus it makes the pee stops too frequent. Try to play it by ear, if you are getting too tired don't push it, find a place to stop.

Old 10-12-2007 | 08:00 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member

500-600 miles is do-able in a day without much difficulty depending on the type of road. If you've got to go from here to there and you're travelling on the interstate, no problem. If you're on the Blue Ridge Parkway where the speed limit is 45 mph and you like to stop and take pictures, that's a different deal.

Just to give you an idea, I went to York, PA last year to tour the factory. Left Charlotte, NC at 6:45am, pulled into the dealership in York which is about 2 miles from the factory at 4:30pm. I was travelling solo and made 3 stops for gas, one for lunch and one to pee. My return trip was Skyline Drive and the BRP so I didn't cover as many miles in a day but that wasn't the point coming back.

Coming in from Ohio, I'd think you can handle that in a day.

Old 10-12-2007 | 08:06 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

If you have already done some 385 miles days, 500 shouldn't be too much. We often do 500 to 550, and have done more.

Bill

Old 10-12-2007 | 08:23 AM
Hombre
Intermediate

No sweat!

Old 10-12-2007 | 08:46 AM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member

Distance riding is a state of mind. If you have it in your mind to enjoy it, the miles don't matter.

Quick Reply: How many miles can one reasonabley go per day?