Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to trip a traffic light on a bike.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007 | 07:47 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: How to trip a traffic light on a bike.

ORIGINAL: ndotken

I wait until either a car pulls up behind me and trips the light, or there's no traffic coming and I just run the damn light.
Ditto

Old 10-11-2007 | 08:47 AM
hdjoe88
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Varooom

Putting down your kickstand, put the weight of the bike on it, then lift it back up. Works ever time for stubborn lights.

Doug
Just started doing this after reading a similar post. Seems to work.

Old 10-11-2007 | 09:34 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

There are several lights in the Port Charlotte,FL area that do not detect my bike. I put onthe "Signal Sorcerer" (I thinks that is what it is called) It is a lot larger magnet than the one shown in the video.
I still have problems at some lights, but I just wait for traffic to clear and run them.
I am a bit confused as to why you would have to use tape to hold the magnet, onto the bikes metal support piece under the frame. My magnet is on very tight, but even that company sent a tie strap with it, so I used it also.
Tom

Old 10-11-2007 | 09:40 AM
bikerjal
3rd Gear

I was told that there is usually a line that is perpindicular to the white line across the intersection. If you drive over that line it will help trip it. It has worked for me so far. However I have been know to run a few red lights.

Old 10-11-2007 | 09:40 AM
phat96
Road Warrior

What a pain in the a$$ this light thing is, I tried one of those from EBAy and it doesn't work. I'm movin on to the kick stand weight thing.

Old 10-11-2007 | 10:26 AM
Redhead1
Advanced

I think different places work it different. I was told when I took the motorcycle rider's course so I could ride on base that it was the weight of the vehicle that set it off. That was a number of years ago so I could be remembering wrong. I tend to stand up then basically bounce down real hard on the bike at a light and it usually works. Probably similar to the kickstand trick.

Old 10-11-2007 | 10:33 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

Dont waste money on those red light triggers the y sell they are just plastic coated magnets. I got a magnet off a old speaker and stuck it to the frame and wraped it with electrical tape, zero cost works good.

Old 10-11-2007 | 10:42 AM
debay
Tourer

Kick stand down Works for me

Old 10-11-2007 | 11:00 AM
ricoman
Road Master

good idea- not sure of the attraction to magnets

Old 10-11-2007 | 11:12 AM
grinner
Road Captain

This is funny. Ask any electrical engineer. He'll tell you that adding the magnet has exactly the same effect as adding the same amount of iron mass to your bike as the magnet weighs. The inductance of the loop in the concrete is affected by the amount of iron in the middle of it. It's unaffected by magentic fields. It's scientifically impossible for magnets to trip traffic lights, but for the amount of iron in them (a few ounces on an 800lb bike).

Quick Reply: How to trip a traffic light on a bike.