Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are 2 into 1 exhaust typically louder than true duals?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 09:48 AM
maaiii
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are 2 into 1 exhaust typically louder than true duals?

I like the 2 into 1 exhaust from Vance & Hines (Pro Pipes) & Bassani's Road Rage. I was told by a Bassani vendor that the Road Rage was much louder than their true duals. I like my neighbors and I really don't want to tick them off at 6:00 am in the morning with loud pipes. How loud are the Vance & Hines 2 into 1 compared to say "Rinehart true duals"?
Again, thanks as always for your help,
AA

Old 12-10-2005, 03:40 PM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Are 2 into 1 exhaust typically louder than true duals?

You can get 2 into 1's in a variety of louds. Only specifically quantifiable data would be among the same maker.
What I do know is that 2 into 1's normally produce the most horsepower increase. Art

Old 12-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Detour
Road Captain

Maaiii, like Ace said, the 2 into 1 pipes will give you more power. What kind of bike do you ride? You really should try to listen to different pipes if you can before putting down big dollars for something you may not be happy with. See if the dealers in your area have any new or used bikes with the pipes installed. Just my .02

Good luck and ride safe!

Kurt[sm=burnout.gif]

Old 12-10-2005, 10:36 PM
maaiii
Tourer

I have a 2006 Road King Classic.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try to get to some bike event this spring, and listen to a variety of exhaust. It's just hard to wait! I have heard the Rinehart true duals, and the ones I heard had a very nice sound and the volume was fine. I kind of hated to give up any low end torque & HP because most of the riding I do is rural backroads, that are hilly at about 45 to 50 MPH. I know I'm asking a tough (dumb) question but so many times I've gotten good info from dumb questions.
Thanks,
AA

Old 12-11-2005, 01:57 PM
rvisdew
Road Master

Whenever i hear some good sounding pipes, I can never get close enuf to the bike to find out who the manufacturer was ... Just recently, my local H-D folks took me around their shop and started up a few bikes so I could hear the sound of some different ones ... I struggled between the V/H 2-1, the ThunderHeader 2-1 and finally went with the Rhinehart true duals .. may loose a little bit at the low-end, but i can't really notice any differnence (in fact overall, there is more power).

Old 12-11-2005, 08:38 PM
coolharley
Cruiser

My last bike was a '02 Night Train, with 95", 203 cams, and VH 2-1 Pro Pipe HS. Before the VH pipe, I had Samson duals with custom length baffels. I really loved the Vance & Hines 2-1 for a few reasons. First, the sound was quite unique compared to all the other dual pipes - it did not have any of that metallic "tingy" sound you get from many Twin Cams with aftermarket pipes, and it was a really sweet rumble, a deep rumble, and at high RPM's it really screamed and made some great horsepower throughout the power curve.

Second, in addition to the unique sound, the looks are unique and really stand out from the normal dual pipes (on Softails that is - - on a bagger, I don't really care for the 2-1 look).

Third, you have the option of two different baffels for this pipe. I started with the standard baffel, which is the more quiet version, and its a nice lower tone, deep rumble. I then got the "Competition Baffel," or something to that effect, and it was noticably louder but still retained that sweet rumble.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:20 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 2-1 Thunderheader it's not real loud until you twist the throttle. From what I have heard and read the V&H 2-1 is alot quieter then the 2-1 Thunderheader. I had the Rinehart true duals and I thought they were a lot more quiet then my 2-1 pipe.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Inforit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good choice on pipes. They are nice sounding and good looking pipes.