Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KILLED my Power Commander today

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 04:52 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default KILLED my Power Commander today

I killed my PCIII today. Hooked it up to my laptop to check if I needed a firmware upgrade. Found that I did have an older version so I want to upgrade the firmware. Here is where I screwed up. I powered it up WITH THE IGNITION rather than using the 9 volt battery when I ran the firmware upgrade function. The technician said that the only way to fix it was to hook it up to a Dynojet programmer or send it back to them so they can fix it. He said the firmware is scrambled and needs to be reinstalled.

I take full responsibility for this screw up. HOWEVER, the instructions say you can power it up either way when checking the firmware version. Then the directions say to use a 9 volt to power it up when upgrading. There is NO WARNING or NOTE in the instructions NOT to power it up with the ignition. I asked the tech. why no warning and he said "we've talked with our boss about it but nothing gets done."

So, I sent it back today. We'll see how long it takes to get it back.

I'll post later when I get it back.

WARNING!!! Be careful when you are messing with your PCIII or you may end up in the same boat as me.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Motown_HOG
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KILLED my Power Commander today

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about upgrading my firmware too and would have done it the exact same way as you did. That is rediculous they don't put a warning on the instructions. Now it sucks that you will have downtime on your bike.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:19 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Motown_HOG

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about upgrading my firmware too and would have done it the exact same way as you did. That is rediculous they don't put a warning on the instructions. Now it sucks that you will have downtime on your bike.
I hate down time even though the weather is horrible. Thankfully I have the XL to ride when the RG is down. In fact, it stopped raining so I'm off for a short ride . . .

Old 10-09-2007, 05:20 PM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member

That sux. Sorry to hear that. I have some pinging on my scoot when i twist the throttle pretty hard and was going to check my firmware. Could you post a link to the newest firmware and tell us what the latest version number is?

Old 10-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly why I decided to get the stage 1 download -- so I can keep riding everytime I send my PCIII back for replacement or service (already had to do it twice).

Old 10-09-2007, 06:27 PM
jeff194
Cruiser

Sorry to hear that. I did mine with the engine running, bike suddenly stopped, ah sh!$ monent. Got out the 9v, hooked it up and it updated the firmware. I must have gotten lucky. My son is an I T guy, he told me you can really screw things up with firmware updates.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:17 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Taterdog

Exactly why I decided to get the stage 1 download -- so I can keep riding everytime I send my PCIII back for replacement or service (already had to do it twice).
Are you saying you will get the downoad and then run the PCIII on top of it? All the maps I see are for stock ECM.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:39 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: sifularson
I sent one in 2 weeks ago for warranty work, and I got it back today. I sent it UPS NDA to them, then I gave them a week. I called Kyle and talked to him about it, and he said he would be sending it back to me using 3-day service. They are pretty quick on the turnaround, and this wasn't for my bike anyhow and the guy who owns the bike as 2 others to ride.

Good Luck,

Steve

Old 10-09-2007, 09:00 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

ORIGINAL: sifularson
I sent one in 2 weeks ago for warranty work, and I got it back today. I sent it UPS NDA to them, then I gave them a week. I called Kyle and talked to him about it, and he said he would be sending it back to me using 3-day service. They are pretty quick on the turnaround, and this wasn't for my bike anyhow and the guy who owns the bike as 2 others to ride.

Good Luck,

Steve
I overnighted mine. We'll see how long it takes to get it back. Sent today, 10/9/07.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:16 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like pc3 is crap. Is this true?

Quick Reply: KILLED my Power Commander today