Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KILLED my Power Commander today

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:38 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: KILLED my Power Commander today

ORIGINAL: lp

The 12V is stepped down to 9V inside the PCIII.
The reason they don't want you to have the bike on is so you dont accidentially turn it off during the update.
Again, you can do it with the 12Volts... but like you said the Book does say have it off....

I've done it both ways.
Not on an '07. The PC-III does not have power unless the fuel pump relay is kicked in. That's why the delay in starting if you wait so long that the fuel rail gets up to pressure and the pump shuts off. Then you have to crank it until the fuel pressure drops and the pump kicks back in, again getting power to the PC-III.

I was reflashing mine and the laptop died mid-course. It was a total brick. Wouldn't light up or nothing. Jamie hooked me right up. Had it back with less than a week downtime (which wasn't downtime anyway, just put the stock airbox back on and rode it).

Old 10-12-2007, 08:50 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Stopped by a dealer today and got into a long discussion with the service manager. he happens to ride an 06 Road Glide. He runs V&H ovals, SE AC, and PCIII with Stage 1 ECM downoad.

This is my NEW PLAN . . . Install my PCIII and ride the bike to the dealer. Hook the 02 sensors back up, remove the PCIII and have the Stage 1 download done. Then ride it. I will not install the PCIII again unless I feel it is necessary or I want to see what difference it makes. I am surious to see how the bike runs with the download compared to the PCIII.

There is another advantage to this. If the PCIII goes bad in the future I can simply remove it and take off without worries. If I tried that with the stock ECM, I would be running dangerously lean.

Yes, the new plan is costing me $150 for the download but I feel it is money well spent.

What do you think? Am I full of it or am I on the right track???
Thanks.
Steve

Old 10-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sifularson

Stopped by a dealer today and got into a long discussion with the service manager. he happens to ride an 06 Road Glide. He runs V&H ovals, SE AC, and PCIII with Stage 1 ECM downoad.

This is my NEW PLAN . . . Install my PCIII and ride the bike to the dealer. Hook the 02 sensors back up, remove the PCIII and have the Stage 1 download done. Then ride it. I will not install the PCIII again unless I feel it is necessary or I want to see what difference it makes. I am surious to see how the bike runs with the download compared to the PCIII.

There is another advantage to this. If the PCIII goes bad in the future I can simply remove it and take off without worries. If I tried that with the stock ECM, I would be running dangerously lean.

Yes, the new plan is costing me $150 for the download but I feel it is money well spent.

What do you think? Am I full of it or am I on the right track???
Thanks.
Steve
You're right on track. My bike runs great with the stage 1 download, and has been for three months now. I've got my 3rd "new" PCIII back from Dynojet and in the box waiting for me to reinstall, but the bike is running so well I just can't get myself to put it back in. Getting close to deciding to put it up for sale on eBay.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:22 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: sifularson

I killed my PCIII today. Hooked it up to my laptop to check if I needed a firmware upgrade. Found that I did have an older version so I want to upgrade the firmware. Here is where I screwed up. I powered it up WITH THE IGNITION....
I did the same thing, but was able to revive it. After the screw-up it would not start, nor would it take the new firmware, but I persevered. Repeated tries finally revived it and it's been working fine ever since.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:39 PM
mountian man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the new firmware you are talking about loading?I also have the pclll and it has run flawless since installed.But I confused about the firmware a couple people are talking about.I know when I installed a map,I started it up with engine running,Whats the purpose of the battery?

Old 10-12-2007, 11:00 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

The firmware is the operating system for the computer inside.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:48 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Go to the Dynojet site and spend some time looking at the files and instructions. All the info is there.
http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...b/default.aspx

Old 10-16-2007, 02:55 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Got my PCIII back to day from Dynojet. That is SUPER fast turnaround. Thanks to Kyle and Jay at Dynojet. I'll be up and running tomorrow.
Steve