Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Classic to Road Glide - What to know?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Hound Dog 1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Classic to Road Glide - What to know?

I am thinking very seriously about upgrading from my current Ultra Classic to a Road Glide. I was looking to go from Ultra to Ultra, but after a friend had me take a short ride on his new Road Glide I was, for the most part, sold.

I'm curious to hear from forum members who went from an Ultra Classic to a Road Glide. What did you like? What didn't you like? If you went from an Ultra to a Road Glide and had to replace the Road Glide, what would you replace it with?

I would add the King Tour Pak and the CB console, as well as the intake/fuel management/pipes upgrades. Is there something missing beyond that?

Your help, as always, is appreciated.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:05 PM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Classic to Road Glide - What to know?

NOOOO....Don't get the RG...they suck big time.

Never owned a UC, but my roadie is about as comfy and steady as they come. Coming home from MBBW yesterday we avg. 85 or 90 all the way home. I didn't realize the RG doesn't actually start riding good til you hit 90.

Higer speeds the stock speakers need to be replaced. Learned that yesterday too.

got list longer than Santa's list of things i want to do, but i have more wants than $$.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to add back all the goodies that make a UC a UC then what advantages do you see in getting a RG ? I'm confused as to what you are looking for in the long run.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:48 PM
piggy
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

FOR Me the handleing on the RG is much nicer then on the ULTRA< your not Pushing the full fairing around all the time, That being said, ADD your TOUR PAC< theres NON HARLEYS on E bay for 2 bills, ADD the extre $600 saved for other goodys, YOU rode one, SO YOU know its ALL that and a bag of chips < backrest, new SE slip ones, new Speakers, and VOILA, happy camper,

[IMG]local://upfiles/15218/4D4F20AFD678462FBD9800E95EDC1B9E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-08-2007, 02:52 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hound Dog 1

I am thinking very seriously about upgrading from my current Ultra Classic to a Road Glide. I was looking to go from Ultra to Ultra, but after a friend had me take a short ride on his new Road Glide I was, for the most part, sold.

I'm curious to hear from forum members who went from an Ultra Classic to a Road Glide. What did you like? What didn't you like? If you went from an Ultra to a Road Glide and had to replace the Road Glide, what would you replace it with?

I would add the King Tour Pak and the CB console, as well as the intake/fuel management/pipes upgrades. Is there something missing beyond that?

Your help, as always, is appreciated.
dammit if all you batwingers convert it'llbe impossible to find our bikes in the parking lot ! I kinda enjoy being a little different...lol.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:09 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I liked the more open cockpit of the road glide, better. I did not like the gauge set up as well. Stock bars suck,I could not reach the radio while it was moving, and missed the tourpak. I bought a tourpak and found out it is very expensive to try and dress up the RG. I hated the roadglides windshield setup, it sucks. I tried every windshiel out there, cee baileys, HD, clearview, best one turned out to be the factory stock, all others gave me bad wind buffiting. I did love the smooth fast ride, its the fastest bagger out there, you can build a big old bad batwing, but it can only go so fast before getting squirly. My road glide would cruise 110 with ease, you could even ride with one hand, please dont try this at home or on a bat wing. Preformed by pro rider on closed course

Old 10-08-2007, 03:58 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

I liked the more open cockpit of the road glide, better. I did not like the gauge set up as well. Stock bars suck,I could not reach the radio while it was moving, and missed the tourpak. I bought a tourpak and found out it is very expensive to try and dress up the RG. I hated the roadglides windshield setup, it sucks. I tried every windshiel out there, cee baileys, HD, clearview, best one turned out to be the factory stock, all others gave me bad wind buffiting. I did love the smooth fast ride, its the fastest bagger out there, you can build a big old bad batwing, but it can only go so fast before getting squirly. My road glide would cruise 110 with ease, you could even ride with one hand, please dont try this at home or on a bat wing. Preformed by pro rider on closed course
My thoughts exactly when Ibriefly had a 1998 Roadglide. It was one of the best handling HD baggers I ever owned right next to the 1984 FXRT I use to own.

I never really liked the windshield either, I had alot of buffeting.....and I also tried several different ones. Granted, the Roadglide stays straight while the Electra Glides begins to get squirly....truthfully though, if you ride within the speed limit; then it is not a problem.

In my opinion, the Roadglide is nothing more than a sporty version of the no longer made Tourglide. Still, both are excellent bikes.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:15 PM
RD GLD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get the Tour Pak with rear speakers and the fairing lowers. You will then have the ultimate ultra glide which in essence is the old Tour Glide. Why did they ever stop making that, I don't know!! I am heading in that direction. Just about to order the stated parts.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:22 PM
DonnyI
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Had a RG for a year and switched. I much prefer the bat wing.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:15 PM
aclass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, dont get that ugly RG....

Quick Reply: Ultra Classic to Road Glide - What to know?