Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rainsuit

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 06:36 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts
Default RE: rainsuit

I went with the Premium Harley Suits. The last one lasted 12 years. Top Quality. Catch a 20% Off Deal and the price is not bad. That is what I did.

Scott

Old 10-11-2007, 06:39 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frogg Toggs have served me well - keep me dry in the rain and cuts the wind if really cold. Rolls down into a very compact package when not in use. I stuck a piece of ironing board cover on the inside of the right leg to keep it from melting on the pipes. That combined with the kind of puke orange color I chose makes it one of the most butt-ugly pieces of gear I have. In fact cars will vear away from me it's so ugly.

Question for those who bought the newer Road Toads - have they solved the problem of the leg melting on the pipes?

Old 10-11-2007, 06:59 PM
daharleyrdr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Timidones In my opinonbuy the Harley Rainsuits they are made real well, cost a little more. My wife doesnt ride with me anymore she lost intrest Im going to put her Rain Suit HD never worn, Jacket, Boots and gloves all that money could by some bling for my Road King, put em on E Bay, or list it here in the classifieds and mine I also wore once or twice, shes small im X large Ill let ya know when I list em for sale, or if anyone else is intrested thanks Bill

Old 10-11-2007, 08:28 PM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Frogg Toggs!!! look on ebay, about $50

Old 10-12-2007, 01:55 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I'm reading, a large number of people here pack away their raingear when it's not in use, which tells me they don't see much rain.
You can get away with inexpensive raingear as long as it keeps you dry the odd time you use it. I have no use for stopping and standing on the side of the road to change gear everytime the weather looks like it's going to get dicey. Up here we'd end up spending more time pulling on gear than riding our bikes if we were packing away raingear everytime the sun came out.
When you get as much rain as those of us in the Pacific N.W. of the U.S. or Lower Mainland of B.C. you need gear that breathes as well as keeps you dry. This means Gor-Tex or the equivalent.
I have had the cheap, plastic crap which I found worked best as just another layer to break the wind in the cold. I have also had mid-range $$$ stuff (next to cr*p) that can't hack touching a hot pipe killing your investment, and leaves you real muggy under gear in rain..
What I have (and it has been mentioned previously, not surprisingly by someone else up this way) is a pair of Aerostitch Darien, Gore-Tex, textile, armored pants that I wear anytime I ride beyond about 50 miles, regardless of the weather. I wore them in 104* heat across Nevada last year, and when it gets cold up here I put a pair of lightweight, thermal, long underwear under them with a longish pair of PolarTech socks over a shorter thin pair. No second guessing the weather 'cause my raingear (pants) are on all the time. If it starts to look shaky I stop and quickly throw on a mid-$$$ rain jacket over my Vanson. I also switch to either of two pairs of gloves that stay dry for several hours in a monsoon. Remember, on a Road King your hands sit out in the weather so you need to have decent gloves in the cold or rain. The pants from the mid $$$ raingear are long gone.(cr*p)
I keep a 2nd 1/2 helmet with a shield on it permanently that resides in my Tour Pak on trips that I swap to from my ACC when it gets ugly.
Once I get underway I refuse to let anything less than a hurricane stop me from getting where I'm headed. I've ridden in conditions I've had absolutely no business being out in. So shoot me.

It's like working on your bike.....there is NO substitute for the RIGHT tools. The same goes for raingear provided you see any significant amount of it, but I can understand the trade-off, dollar-wise for riders who don't. I envy you guys.
Buying raingear is pretty much like anything else on the planet. You get what you pay for.

CN

Old 10-12-2007, 07:35 AM
1bgrd1
Advanced

I agree with Comfortably Numb so I purchased the Joe Rocket Ballistic pants and jacket. It breathes well, have rode in 90+ degree weather, 100% water proof and I have tested that in a ride home from sturgis I hit rain on the western side of minnesota and had to go to southern wisconsin in a steady and at times pouring rain. did not get wet, also have the Joe Rocket Ballistic gloves for cold and wet weather, no need to waste the space on raingear or stop to put it on if you think it is going to rain or starts to rain.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:52 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Harley two piece. To us they were worth the extra $.

Yep, same here, the H-D brand is good stuff. Had it on and off 4 times last Thursday on the way to Myrtle Beach. Also needed it a few more times over Friday and Saturday.. It has been money well spent.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:42 AM
77eliminator
Novice
Old 10-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Londonbike
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont buy frog toggs. Melts way to easy on exhaust. Wife has Harley raingear which is far superior

Old 10-13-2007, 08:44 PM
wiggy100
Intermediate

I have the Harley Davidson Gortex lined rain pants and that works great. I have a windsheld and with my leather jacket, I have never had a problem. I also have a rain liner for my Joe Rocket Mesh jacket, but have never had to use it.

I found the HD rain gloves to be to hot so my hands got uncomfortable and just put the leather ones back on.