Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rainsuit

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 01:27 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: rainsuit

Get the HD brand made with Gore-Tex. The material is water proof and will allow air to blow through. This will make the rides in the summer rains more enjoyable. The other materials just cause you to sweat.

Ride safe,

Old 10-08-2007, 01:45 PM
BlackMarshmallow
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was at my local dealership last week and one of the local motor officers walked in. Who better to ask, right? He showed me his rain-gear (very nice) and also mentioned that he wore Gerbings heated clothing beneath it. The rain-gear is made by Watershed Inc.. You can find them at www.gowatershed.com. They are a little pricey but the quality looked really really good. The best thing is you can completely customize them to suit your needs. I need reflective with bright day time colors. They can do it. I also need a place for an ID badge, Got it. The "basic" jacket I'm looking at is $166 and adds features from there to $263. The pants with cargo pockets are going to run around $118.
The motor officer wears these every day all day. Likewise, I ride every day in the Pacific Northwest and I need good stuff.
I have a set of Frogg Toggs I think very highly of for fishing and packable protection. They're just not durable enough for every day use. I've burned several holes in them because they're so baggy that when I put my feet down at stoplights, I just can't help but singe them.
Look at Watershed. For the money, they are a pretty good deal.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:18 PM
MosesJJN
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are cheap like me, you can get mil surplus ECWS Gore-Tex field dress camos or similiar for low bucks. Pretty darn good if you don't give a hoot about color/style. Used 'em for years never had a problem, never got pipe burns.

Had a yellow plastic suit that worked pretty well. Had velcro closures aound pants pockets so you could reach intoyour pockets. Problem was in heavy rain water trickled in through the velcro and soaked your bum.

In the coldjust about anyrainsuitwill blockthe wind from going through your clothes and you stay warmer. I always put on my rain gearwhengetscold.

Also good for snowstorms while camping, hiking orshoveling snow off thedriveway - not to mentionsnowball fights.

Bud.

Mil surplus: www.SportsmansGuide.com

Old 10-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Scootr
Road Master

I have the new suit from HD and like it (not sure of the part number but it is an 08). Tested it with a few hundred miles in the rain on the way to Myrtle Beach.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:57 PM
alexcue
Road Master

I've got the HD Paclite Goretex pants. Pricey but they work great and have heat shields built in.

For the top i just got one of the HD Camo rain-jacket. It's really just a covering, since my jacket is water-resistent, but helps to keep me warmer in a pinch.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,425 Posts

I just bought a set at a vendor in Sturgis this year to replace my generic set that finally about had it after 18 years or so. Don't recall the brand and didn't need them on the trip home.

We bought my wife a set at Wal*Mart last year. Separate bib type pants and a jacket. We attached a piece of leather to the right pant leg where her drag pipe is, killer of the last three rain suits. They got tried out this year on the ride up and worked fine.

I also recommend trying them on before purchasing. Put them on, sit, simulate sitting on your bike, see what rides up, what's tight, etc.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:40 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior

Frogg Toggs have served me well for over 10 years. Once rode from New Jersey to West Virgina in heavy downpour and stayed dry.

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 10-11-2007, 03:53 PM
brewdog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Harley two piece. To us they were worth the extra $.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:02 PM
RedlegRK
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: MosesJJN

If you are cheap like me, you can get mil surplus ECWS Gore-Tex field dress camos or similiar for low bucks. Pretty darn good if you don't give a hoot about color/style. Used 'em for years never had a problem, never got pipe burns.

Bud.

Mil surplus: www.SportsmansGuide.com
+1 Now that all the serivcesare switching to the new Digital Camo, the prices on the woodland pattern Gore-Tex have come waaaayyy down. I use my old issue stuff without any trouble.

If you buy the surplus stuff and it's a bit faded, you may want to hit it with the Gore-Tex refresher in a spray can. Won't do anything for the color, but restores the water repellant characteristics of the fabric.

Another place to check is www.cheaperthandirt.com

Old 10-11-2007, 06:15 PM
CFDgrunt
Cruiser

I bought a Harley rain siut $ 200.00 . But it was raining and i was 5 hrs from home and had to be home that night, best friggin investment i ever made. great gear, i can't say enough about it.

Quick Reply: rainsuit