Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do fairing lowers keep motor cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:15 PM
kennyross
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do fairing lowers keep motor cooler

I just installed lowers on my 03 RKC. Seems the air is forced to the motor.
Also can feel the warm air more,besides blocking the wind, does it keep you warmer in cold weather?

Old 10-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Do fairing lowers keep motor cooler

Lowers will restrict some air flow to the engine. I take em off when the temps get into the 70's on a regular basis. Newer models have adjustable "vents" to open and close depending on the weather.

You may stay a bit warmer with them on, and will stay a bit dryer in the rain.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:30 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dalton

Lowers will restrict some air flow to the engine. I take em off when the temps get into the 70's on a regular basis. Newer models have adjustable "vents" to open and close depending on the weather.

You may stay a bit warmer with them on, and will stay a bit dryer in the rain.
You know what you are talking about. I put them on my brand new 1985 Softail Super Custom for the monsoon weather we have in s. Florida. I remember one day, coming up from the Keys, The rain was so bad the high crowned roads were under water. I was dry behind my tall windshield, Shovel batwing, Ultra lowers and no traffic. The rub came when we came into Florida City where there was traffic lights and people. I was dry until I could not find a gas station to hide under until the light changed. In Daytona, for bike week, it gets cold for us. "Bike cloths" (fairings and such) that are removable are good for me. 30 degrees sucks for me. We all have our trials. We do get a chance to ride all year around, however.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Rollon
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Lowers are warmer in winter. As to the "theory", the lowers when moving would push air by at a higher rate than no lowers. But, when you go slow, you probably lose air flow, thus it's hotter.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:21 PM
stu07hd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my lowers off my 07 Ultra when temps were starting to get close to 90. I have the ones with the adjustable vents. Even with the vents open I was starting to get a bit to warm and the bike was running a bit warm also. I noticed abouta 15-20 degree drop in oil temps with them off and I was more comfortable. I have since put them back on now that temps aren't as high outside.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:59 PM
questor
Road Master

You can dramatically increase airflow to the bike's engine and rider and keep cooler in the process of removing the lower fairings. Early summer I pulled them off of my 07 UC and during the summer, the bike certainly was cooler. With the cooler weather returning, I just re-installed them.

HD just released a detachable fairing lower hardware kit (PN: 58146-07) for quick removal of the lower fairings. Haven't purchased them yet, waiting to hear a report of them on this forum.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:58 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: kennyross

I just installed lowers on my 03 RKC.
So far the replies have been from folks with the hard lowers stock on the EGs. I'm assuming, however, that you're not talking about them, rather one of the "soft" styles which wrap the engine crash bars.

Which are you referring to?

Old 10-05-2007, 06:41 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member

I have used a pair of the ones that you install around your crash bar and they do cut down on some of the wind and rain in the winter but I would not run them or any other type of lowers in the summer. They hold in way too much heat.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:24 AM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

After having a bike with lowers I wouldn't have it any other way now. You stay warmer, drier, less wind push on the legs, and I think I'm going to put some speakers in them for a little more sound.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:37 AM
jlr1125
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep mine always on so I don't know of any difference.

Quick Reply: Do fairing lowers keep motor cooler