Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise, Brake Light... problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007 | 04:06 PM
Rocket Jockey
|
Tourer
Default Cruise, Brake Light... problem...

OK, I changed handle bars on my RG and on my first ride a cager tellsme that my brake light wasn't working (it was actually always on). Then I noticed that my cruise would not stay engaged. I assumed I had cut a wire or two but they are fine. It is the little pressure button in the lever housing that is actived by the brake lever. When the lever is engaged, front brake applied, it releases the button and the brake lights come on. Obviously, that also disengages the cruise. I have had it apart, back together, pushed, twisted turned, etc. The lever doesn't fully depress the little button. I don't see any way to adjust it either. Any ideas??

Thanks,
RJ (Ruined my Junk)

Old 10-04-2007 | 04:34 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Cruise, Brake Light... problem...

Yeah, loosen the two screws that hold the master cylinder to the handlebar & move the whole thing back into the switch housing. Harley hasen't changed that switch in 20 years............

Old 10-04-2007 | 04:43 PM
scrubby64
Intermediate

Had the same problem myself on my 2000 Roadglide, after much buggering around I pulled the brake lever out and put a large blob of JB weld on the "spud" which depresses the switch. No more problems.

Mark,
Belfast,
Norn Ireland.

Old 10-04-2007 | 04:45 PM
glide
Road Warrior

If you didn't shim the lever when you reinstalled the housing, there's a good chance you broke the plunger that activates the switch.

Old 10-04-2007 | 04:48 PM
Rocket Jockey
|
Tourer

I can't believe someone actually beatmy phriend UltraKla$$ic to the JB Weld solution!!!!

Jinks, tried that, pushed, pulled, no good.

RJ

Old 10-04-2007 | 04:53 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Rocket Jockey

I can't believe someone actually beatmy phriend UltraKla$$ic to the JB Weld solution!!!!

Jinks, tried that, pushed, pulled, no good.

RJ
Did you take it apart & look at it? If adjusting the master cylinder/brake lever didn't fix it I suspect the switch in the housing is either loose or broken.

Old 10-04-2007 | 09:59 PM
buttman
Road Master

It's probably broken, the service manuel stresses shiming the switch for the front brake.

Old 10-04-2007 | 10:10 PM
Z_Stingray
Tourer

Insert a 1/16 inch shim on the back side of the switch. You can fold some black tape over about 6-8 times. Cut it to size and slide it behind the switch. This will push the switch towards the lever.

Old 10-05-2007 | 07:53 AM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior

I knew JB weld would solve the problem

Old 10-05-2007 | 10:20 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

[Edit: May have gotten the switch operation "basackwards" as Glide said; will take a look later.]

It's possible the switch isn't broken; just shifted in the housing so the plunger which activates the switch is not fully opening. There is a brass clip inside the switch housing next to the plastic switch body that may have fallen out allowing the switch to shift inside the housing.

Hope you get it right.

Quick Reply: Cruise, Brake Light... problem...