Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How critical is 1k service?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:42 PM
motorjon68
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How critical is 1k service?

I bought a bike with 1k miles on it. I'm debating whether to take it in or do it myself. The bike is an '05 and outta warranty. I know some folks work for dealers so please give input.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Ultra_Bob
Tourer
Default RE: How critical is 1k service?

Was I suppose to take mine in for 1k service .. Nope .. Save you some money ... do the service yourself...

Old 10-03-2007, 07:48 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Do it yourself and get that old oil out of there. Might need other lubrication, like cables and stuff.

Gee, the previous owner didn't really ride it much, huh?

Old 10-03-2007, 07:48 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Buy a manual and do it yourself.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:49 PM
grinder
Novice

Change all the fluids, inspect the bike...good to go.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Part of the 1K service is to check tightness of nuts and bolts...(the bike gets a good overall inspection) So if you do the oil changes yourself be sure to also check the nuts bolts fastners wiring harness for rubbing brake disk.. well you get the general idea...

Old 10-03-2007, 07:56 PM
motorjon68
Intermediate

I love how quickly y'all respond. Part of my purchase was that the oil was changed. Speaking of checking loose things-I kept hearing a noise and realized the aircleaner was coming off. As far as the low miles-the gentleman that owned it developed some health issues. Very nice people. His nephew is on here. Great dude as well.

PS: I have the list of items to check at service intervals. I'll use them for reference.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:01 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: motorjon68

I bought a bike with 1k miles on it. I'm debating whether to take it in or do it myself. The bike is an '05 and outta warranty. I know some folks work for dealers so please give input.
Buy the manual and do it yourself, or bring it in and have the dealer do it. My opinion? It's the 1st servicing, and probably the most important one. Don't skip it.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work for a dealer; personally, I couldn't afford to own a motorcycle if I didn't service it myself. Self service isn't for everybody which is the reason there are dealers. If you feel competant with some basic tools, can read a service manual, and don't buying a couple torque wrenches, go ahead and do your own service. All of us are more than willing to help if you get stuck. Some of us have actually done engine upgrades as well - cams, jugs, etc. When you get brave and a little bored, that's a lot of fun too. Dealers are good for warranty items, but, for routine service, I have better places for my money.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:27 PM
bigdognc
Advanced

Get the service Manual, and do it yourself. Use better oil than the syn 3 crap, like Mobil 1 2050 for the Engine, Mobile 1 Gear Lube 75-90 (or 75-140 if hot weather) in the trans, Syn3 is ok fro the clutch and primary. For God's sakes, if you do it yourself, re-torque AT LEAST the axle nuts, mine were loose. Also, other than general stuff, my Clutch Cable needed routine adjustment. otherwise there is no reason to bring it back to the dealer.

Quick Reply: How critical is 1k service?