Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:42 PM
blight
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery Problems

Had a bone head moment yesterday. Got home from work and forgot to turn the lights off on the Road King. Came out this morning and of course it was dead as a door nail. I figured no big deal, just throw it on the charger. Wrong! The charger keeps indicating a faulty battery. Now I have never accidently drained the battery on my bike before but have done it a couple of times on a car. I never had a problem charging up the battery afferwards. Is this common for a battery to go dead after being drained over night? The bike is a new 07 that I bought in June.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:59 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Battery Problems

Leave the charger on the battery for a few hour and check later.The indicator is probably reacting to the discharge state of the battery.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:08 PM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did a similar thing at Starbucks and had to bet a jump. Took 30 minutes on the cables before the engine would fire. Then it was OK.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:15 PM
blight
Advanced

"Leave the charger on the battery for a few hour and check later.The indicator is probably reacting to the discharge state of the battery"

I'm not sure if my charger keeps charging while the fault indicator is lit. The manual says you have to remove one of the leads to reset it to a charging state.

"Did a similar thing at Starbucks and had to bet a jump. Took 30 minutes on the cables before the engine would fire. Then it was OK"

As far as jumping the bike, I was kind of hesitant to try it. I don't know why. Is it as safe to do on a bike as a car?

Thanks for all your help guys.
Brent

Old 10-03-2007, 10:44 PM
rkcrwlr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen. Even took the battery to the dealer. They checked it.... said it was bad, would change it under warranty, but needed to bring the bike in. Bought new a new battery, brought the bike back for the "official" change. The old battery, after sitting overnight, decided to charge. They took the new one back, refunded my $$$, sent me on my way. These gels do strange things. I could not get my charger to make it happen.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:39 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ide put the batt on a trickle charger for 2 days... then check it..i bet it starts..
The battery shoulk come back unless the battery has a dead short ..or dead cell

Old 10-04-2007, 07:44 PM
blight
Advanced

Okay. I picked up another charger that has diagnostic features and it is indicating a shorted cell. I called my dealer and they said there was no way would they cover the battery under waranty.

I don't really want to drop $109 down on a harley battery after this. A friend was telling me I could pick up an aftermarket replacement at Batteries Plus for allot less. Anybody ever used them? If not does anybody know of good alternative to Harley branded batteries that I can pick up from readily available sources? I'm supposed to be riding this weekend.

Almost forgot. Is there any threat if the replacement battery is lead acid? I think the stock battery is gel cell and I'm not sure if the replacement will be lead acid.

Brent

Old 10-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Rollon
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The gel is funny stuff. 1st, check the voltage across the battery.i'd suggest disconnecting the battery to start. then check the voltage across the battery. Now charge it at a steady rate. 2-6 amps and check it in 4-6 hrs. My understanding is that gels take longer to recharge and require a steady input. Keep checking it until it comes back to about 12.6 V. If it doesn't come to this after a day, it's gone.

Good luck,

Old 10-04-2007, 09:55 PM
azhole
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a new battery from a small shop with the same unit HD sells, for less.
You can jump start these from a car if you have to.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:52 AM
stu07hd
Tourer

Before I would drop the cash on a new battery I would pick up a cheap charger with no protection on it to prevent it from charging. I bet if you can get it to charge your battery will be fine. I have ran new or near new batteries totally dead many times and have had them come back after a jump start or charge. It will shorten the total battery life, but it should come back up just fine.

Quick Reply: Battery Problems