Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between J&M speakers (ohms)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Difference between J&M speakers (ohms)

ORIGINAL: MyRide7

[sm=deadhorse.gif][sm=headbang.gif]
No it's not.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:15 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy 4 Ohm speakers.
With a 4 ohm setup you can use any 4 ohm speaker on the planet. Don`t buy the JM`s...To high priced.
Buy something at the local stereo shop. JBL`s MB Quart, ETC.
I have an Alpine PDX amp 4x100 with some Morel Integra Ovation XO`s. up front with the stock set in the back.
The sound is incredible. Look into the Alpine R series speakers as well. They look like a good speaker at a reasonable price and will sound better for the buck.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:26 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need outdoor-rated, waterproof speakers. Just any old 4 ohm speaker won't last in a motorcycle application.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:31 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: LowriderFXRS

You need outdoor-rated, waterproof speakers. Just any old 4 ohm speaker won't last in a motorcycle application.
Any poly cone with butyl surround will work. You dont need waterproof speakers.
Today's speakers are no longer made with paper cones. They are plastic/poly with rubber. The old days are over. Thank God for computers and synthetics.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:11 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

tyrant ,,,,,,

yes ,,,, you could also choose another radio that specifically states in it's specifications that it is designed for 2 ohm speakers ,,,,,

Old 10-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Husker
1st Gear

Check out Hogtunes speakers. I have a Sony radio which calls for 4ohm speakers and I use the Hogtunes speakers. They are rated at 5.75ohms. On another speaker topic JMJOHN said that he had checked the Hogtunes and they were closer to 4ohms. Also Biketronics sells the Sony radio in there packages and they use the Hogtunes. I'm not suggesting they're the best but work good for me. J&M does not have a 4ohm speaker.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:15 PM
tyrant33
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Will the sound quality suffer if I go with the radio designed for 4 ohms and the speakers at 8 ohms?

Old 10-03-2007, 08:27 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

there might be a slight reduction in volume with the 8 ohm speaker compared to a 4 ohm speaker ,,,,,,

and Husker is right, J&M does not offer a 4-ohm speaker in that size ,,,,,, only 8-ohms ,,,,,

Old 10-04-2007, 04:37 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the most simple, general cases, halving the load will double the electrical power available from the same voltage driving the load, and doubling the load will halve the power.

It's generally a safe bet to double the load but halving it might get into heat dissipation problems for the driving circuitry components.

I forget which is which since it's been many years since I looked at it, but a wikipedia search would provide the correct correlation. I'm thinking double electrical power is equivalent to a 3 decibel gain and double sound power (volume) is a 6 decibel gain. Maybe the other way 'round. The decibel scale is a base 10 logarithmic scale and one of the two (sound pressure and electrical pressure) have a multiplier of 2 involved in the equations.

Okay, "what the hell is he talking about?" If you have two sets of speakers, one on the front side of the fader and one on the rear, and one has an impedance of 4 ohms while the other has one of 8, the fader will have to be adjusted toward the 8 ohm loaded end to achieve a balance of sound midway between them.

Just some random considerations that anyone would figure out on their own inside of a few minutes just by experiencing the result of the combination. I'm just thinking if someone is aware of this going in they won't be maybe unpleasantly surprised by the results.

Oh, and I'm thinking one sound perceived as being twice as loud as another is 10 decibels greater.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:47 PM
tyrant33
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok so I went with the hogtunes since they were closer to 4 ohms. Do the hogtunes bolt up to the faring or will I need speaker adapters?

Quick Reply: Difference between J&M speakers (ohms)