Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 UG in Survival Mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Punisher
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 UG in Survival Mode

Having the 1000 mile service done today, an I inquired to the service mgr about the engines rear cylinder cutting off if it gets too hot. It hasnt happend to me on my bike, but he said that he can enable this feature on the bike at no charge. As he described it, much like the owners manual, if the bike gets too hot, the rear cylinder cuts off, but still quenches itself with fuel to cool down. Idle will drop, and it will smoke a little. All of this will occur until the throttle is hit and rpms are requested. I am having him turn on this feature just as a safety precaution if nothing else. Can anyone see a down-side to having this feature enabled? Also, if I want this feature turned off, then there would be a charge.

Thanks, Woody

Old 10-02-2007, 11:00 AM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 08 UG in Survival Mode

As far as I know, this is a good feature and won't cause you any problems. I read that you can have this turned off at no charge if you find you don't like it.

Comes stock on the '08's, I believe.

Ray

Old 10-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

according to my dealer, you can have it turned off at no charge, but only once. after that, you pay.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:15 PM
joenuclear
Advanced

If you're dumping fuel into the cylinder without igniting it aren't you washing the oil off the cylinder wall? Just saying.....

Old 10-02-2007, 12:55 PM
tread 2007 ultra
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And wouldn't you get one h*LL of a back fire when the spark hit all that unburn't fuel?

Old 10-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I heard the rear cylinder is only shut down when the engine is at an idle, like when at a stop light in city traffic. When you hit the throttle to go the rear cylinder kicks back in. Have also heard that this shouldn't be needed on an '08.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Punisher
Cruiser

I dont know those answers. But I suppose that if the engine gets too hot, and the rear cylinder cuts out, thats a big clue to pull over and let her cool down. JMHO.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:05 PM
jpmflying
Cruiser

My 08 UC is also in for the 1000 mile and I inquired about this. The service rep said that they have done it on 2 bikes and one came back to have it reprogrammed without it. He told me the bike had to be in neutral and idling. That in itself seemed like a pain in the A-- every time you stopped. I opted not to do it at this time

Old 10-02-2007, 02:27 PM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There has been a ECM flash that disable the rear cylinder, both spark and FI duty cycle, when a specified temperature is reached.

We belive it is refered to as the Parade Download.

Only effect the rear cylinder when it is idling, not riding.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think about the old days when you would be cruising down the highway in dad's old car, turn of the ignition for a few seconds just to fill the cyl's with fuel then turn the key back on..... KA-POW. I actuall blew the muffler off my dad's old car.

If the cyl is off long enough... getting fuel then all of a sudden get fire again I believe you could blow a valve. Besides how would a Harley sound with only one cyl firing... put put put put..

I cleaned my Sportster once and must have bumped the plug wire.. Next day was on my way to the dealer and half way there I lost power and engine was sounding crappy. Stopped, couldn't see anything wrong.. Got back on and went to the dealer.. about 10 miles in all. Dealership pinpointed a loose plug wire but it was too late. Cyl was cooked inside out. Buy did I feel stupid..

In a nut shell, I'll take the heat.. leave computer alone!

Quick Reply: 08 UG in Survival Mode