Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 UG in Survival Mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Softy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 08 UG in Survival Mode

I just read about it in detail in the enthusiast hog magazine. I'll have to see what month it was.

Spring, 2007 .

Old 10-02-2007, 07:42 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll probably find that the fuel is also cut off along with the spark and it's only pumping air through the cylinder while in "the mode."

The engineers probably also used their dads' cars in their youth.

Think for one moment how many unburned hydrocarbons would be pumped out in only a few seconds of running with just no spark. The EPA would never allow it; not for an instant.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:55 PM
GVTHNKS
Advanced

Could be wrong, but my understanding is that it shuts the rear cylinder off intermittently. Not every cycle, but every other one, or every third. I would think that the cylinder is shut off by not triggering the injector instead of killing the spark. If it didn't, there would be raw fuel. Not sure if one cycles worth of fuel is enough to cause anybackfiring issues.

Just my .02

Old 10-02-2007, 08:26 PM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was under the impression that '08's had this stock. Am I mistaken? Wouldn't be the first time!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: glens

You'll probably find that the fuel is also cut off along with the spark and it's only pumping air through the cylinder while in "the mode."
That's how I was told it works. Never had it done on my 07, and rode it all summer w/o any heat issues. 'Course I've been known to go 20 or 50 miles out of my wayto avoid traffic jams...

Old 10-02-2007, 10:08 PM
rlb5857
Cruiser

I've heard the engine shakes like hell on one cylinder. In my opinion, just how much cooling will happen in a stop for a traffic light, maybe two/three minutes, NOT MUCH!!!! I feel it is a terrible bandaid for a over lean combustion ratio!!! Richen it up!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:13 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: joenuclear

If you're dumping fuel into the cylinder without igniting it aren't you washing the oil off the cylinder wall? Just saying.....
Thank You....

Old 10-02-2007, 10:19 PM
UltraSWG
Intermediate

What yall are talking about is called the "Parade Download" It does not come stock on 08's, I had to request it for mine. It's a one time free download and one time free removal.

All it does is turn the rear cylinder off when the bike is at idle. You don't need to be in nuetral, just pull in the clutch and in a couple seconds, the rear cylinder stops getting fuel. There's no backfire issues or anything negative, it actually makes the bike sound alot better when it's at idle. What I do experience is more shake, but I think shakers are cool, so I dig it.

It reduces heat generation at idle - that's the whole point of it.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:25 AM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That's what we saideight (8) messages earlier.

Both the Spark and FI on the rear cylinder are disabled, at idle

Old 10-03-2007, 07:36 AM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

July 14, 2006
Purpose
For those riders who frequently find themselves in riding conditions where the vehicle is subjected to prolonged idle conditions, an optional dealer enabled engine calibration is available. This calibration offers limited rear cylinder cooling with the vehicle stopped while the engine is left at idle. If the customer decides to delete the rear cylinder cooling, he may contact the dealer to have this done.
Motorcycles Affected
All 2007 Touring and Police Models (FLHT, FLHTC, FLHTCU, FLTR, FLHR, FLHRC, FLHRS, FLHX, FLHTCUSE2, FLHRSE3, FLHTP, FLHP, and FLHPE).

Quick Reply: 08 UG in Survival Mode