Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speakers in bags.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 03:49 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Speakers in bags.

Alright guys, I am having radio envy, and want some advice/tips. I have a rk custom, with 18" apes. I have not tried a detachable fairing, so I don't even know how well it will work with the apes. They are not cheap, so I would hate to make a pricey mistake. And there is no way I will be getting rid of my bars, ain't going to happen.

So, I have seen where people have added speakers and a amplifier to their bags, and play tunes through their mp3's. I think this would be a great solution for me. The question I have is this, I have the hard leather bags that come standard on the rk custom. I have grown fond of the bags, and feel no need to replace them. So, can I add speakers and a amp in my bags, run it off my mp3. Has anyone seen it on the leather bags? They are only a plastic inner shell, would there be any heat issues to the bags? Should I add some sort of brace for the speakers? I know the engine gets a lot hotter than an amp would, but I am curious. I know I will loose some bag storage, and that is ok.

If it would work, does anyone have an idea as to what amp and speakers I should buy? Obviously the amp need to be small, and the speakers should be waterproof, but I have no idea what to buy. How doesa mp3 plug into an amp?

I am sure someone has seen them, even if it is just on the hard bags. I am looking for any suggestions. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:50 AM
Rev00
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Speakers in bags.

I once saw some speaker pods that would work great on the top of the hard lids. I debated for awhile and decided not to do it but if I had, the lids are pretty easy to replace later on. The way the were designed, they would be facing forward like little hood scoops than taper off to the back.

The Pods I saw were for the 5-1/4" speakers but it would be awesome if you could find some for the 6x9 speakers then throw a Rockford Fosgate amp in the bags. Not sure the 6x9 speaker pods would face forward tho, maybe straight up then be rain catchers.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:01 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

I did a little looking on ebay. What I came up with is this. They make several small amps that can be mounted in the bags. Apparently I can use a RCA mp3 plug to have it work off my ear phone jack on the mp3 and wire it to the amp that way. Hook the amp to the battery, then get some speakers. I was thinking that since I have leather bags, and not real sure how this would work, I could mount the speakers on the bags facing the bike. The bags are not leather covered there, and if I decided to remove the speakers, I could use some diamond plate (or something) to cover the hole, and no one would be the wiser. I figure that water proof speakers are the way to go, and I could seal the opening with some kind of flexible sealant. Seems like it would work. From what I found, I could get the whole set up for under $100. It may not be the highest quality parts, but if it does work, I could always replace the lesser parts with the good stuff. What do you guys think?

Old 10-02-2007, 06:02 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

About the only input I can provide ya with is the amp. The Hogtunes amp is fairly small and has decent power. There's gotta be a way to do what you want.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:14 AM
Rev00
Tourer

Fosgate in the right bag and a 12volt car battery in the left bag. Only way to go

Edit: Sorry, has to be a sealed gel cell so the ice and beer doesn't short out the battery.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:19 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

Ha ha, funny guy, LOL.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:46 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

The one question I get all of the time is "can you hear the stereo when you are riding? I always want to answer "no just looks good and I didn't have anyhting else to do with the $20,000+ I paid for the bike" LOL. I don't have any doubt you can mount speakers on the top of the bags with an amp inside but at highway speed what quality of sound areyou going to get. My only experience is with my Ultra with rear speakers and I can hear them but without the front speakers I don't know if I would be happy with the sound. Just my .02.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:31 AM
IceHeritage
Road Master

My Buddy has a Set of 6x9 facing inward towards the Wheels and 5 1/4 in the Front face with a 400 watt Amp Pushing the His IPOD and Riding next to him with both of are Thunderheaders going at 80 i can still hear his Music

Old 10-02-2007, 08:05 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

you are going to have to have 200 watts minimum to hear clearly at highway speeds.

Mount the 6x9 speakers inside the bags facing the wheels---from my expirience and observation this works the best.

I have never seen this utilized on soft bags --- many of my riding partners have four 6x9s and alpine digital slim line amp in the bags.

The sound is outstanding --- most not all are louder than my SG with four 6x9s, two 5 1/4s and two 6 1/2s (I have a tour pak) I have a 4 channel MTX 250 watt amp. I need the alpine amp.

What ever you do --- do not waste your money on the handle bar system IMHO it sounds and looks like chit.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:13 AM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: PapaTravis

Alright guys, I am having radio envy, and want some advice/tips. I have a rk custom, with 18" apes. I have not tried a detachable fairing, so I don't even know how well it will work with the apes. They are not cheap, so I would hate to make a pricey mistake. And there is no way I will be getting rid of my bars, ain't going to happen.

So, I have seen where people have added speakers and a amplifier to their bags, and play tunes through their mp3's. I think this would be a great solution for me. The question I have is this, I have the hard leather bags that come standard on the rk custom. I have grown fond of the bags, and feel no need to replace them. So, can I add speakers and a amp in my bags, run it off my mp3. Has anyone seen it on the leather bags? They are only a plastic inner shell, would there be any heat issues to the bags? Should I add some sort of brace for the speakers? I know the engine gets a lot hotter than an amp would, but I am curious. I know I will loose some bag storage, and that is ok.

If it would work, does anyone have an idea as to what amp and speakers I should buy? Obviously the amp need to be small, and the speakers should be waterproof, but I have no idea what to buy. How doesa mp3 plug into an amp?

I am sure someone has seen them, even if it is just on the hard bags. I am looking for any suggestions. Thanks.
6x9 speakers with a car audio amp would be the best for quality and volume. I have read that inward facing is the better sound(and looking as you don't see it) and also adds a little outah sight outah mind security. I used to have rumble road speakers on my bars with s mtx car audio amp in the bag. no heat issues even with stuff packed next to amp. I now have a fairing. If you wanted to go the car audio amp direction I can give you a sweet deal on that mtx amp stting in my garage with ground loop isolator, and I would also include the 8gauge(i believe it was) power and ground quick disconnect that I made up. It would be sweet knowing that stuff would be getting some good use again.

Adam

Quick Reply: Speakers in bags.