Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Question From the Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:46 PM
PSO169
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Question From the Dealer?

I was on duty when someone from the Harley service department called regarding the MP3. I have mine in for the 5,000 mile service. I requested to have my radio replaced due to the issues with my HK stereo. I was able to use the MP3 discs when I riding in the past. The last few times I have tried to listen to MP3 disc in my bike they have locked up or even gotten stuck for awhile. I burn the Cd's with no problem. I tried the disc in my computer as well as my bike. The service department called to ask what was the MP3. I explained to the dealership that I have had no issues with the burned Cd's but the MP3 discs have only worked a few times. I burned MP3 discs for my road trip and they did not work at all. I have had to shut my bike off a few times to even get the disc out to listen to the radio.

I have requested that they replace my stereo since I have had several problems with the MP3's.

Any suggestions

Jeff

Old 10-01-2007, 07:32 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Radio Question From the Dealer?

sort of confused but will suggest a cd/dvd cleaner disc and try a different brand of disc's perferabley of the highest quality. noticed on mine that something scratches the back side of the cd and makes a lot of dust in unit so also hit it with an air hose. If they do end up replacing it? ive heard on this forum that all they will do is put in a refurb unit so might as well upgrade?

Old 10-01-2007, 07:55 PM
PSO169
Road Master

I first tried cleaning the CD/MP3 player unit before I tried another MP3 disc in my bike. I was able to play MP3 discs with no problems in the past, it was great burning 140-160 songs on a disc and riding. I burn CD's to listen to all the time with no problem. I started on my road trip and the radio would not play. I have had a few times that all I could get was the weather channel till I shut off the bike and started again.

Jeff

Old 10-01-2007, 07:55 PM
prc1333
Tourer

A CD cleaner is a good idea. The cleaner is a CD with tiny brushes on it, that will take dirt off the CD lens. It is recommended that the player be cleaned every so often, and being exposed to dust as these players are, the cleaner is a good idea every couple months or so. Do you have any problems with store bought CDs? If not, it probably isn't the player but the MP3 format. For some reason MP3 formatted songs are more demanding on equipment because of the compressed file. Cleaners are around 10 bucks or less, I believe, and last a few years. A good investment for all of your players. Now if regular CDs don't work well either, than it should be replaced, for sure. One speck of dust will make the player a mess. Hope this is useful?
[/align]

Old 10-01-2007, 07:57 PM
PSO169
Road Master

prc1333

I tried the cleaner a few times. Never any issues with burned CD's or store bought CD's

Jeff

Old 10-01-2007, 08:01 PM
brinks13081
Cruiser

I know this a little off topic but how do you get 150 mp3's on a single disc?

Old 10-01-2007, 08:03 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Seriously doubt that they're going to replace the stereo. Every dealer I've talked to about my stereo problems tell me that they have to send it in for refurb if there is a problem with the radio. Mines going in for the third time for the same problem with the radio, if its bad I'm just going to replace it with an aftermarket radio.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Bldr1000
Cruiser

What happens is that if they stealer sends your radio back to Harmon Kardon and they test it and it aint defective.......The dealer has to pay for your $1,000.00 radio, so they ain"t gonna be real quick about sending it in. My wife's Helmet mic makes my CB real niosy and we have swapped out everything you can swap at the dealership except the radio. They don't want to swap the readio because they are afraid they will have to pay for it.....Bldr

Old 10-02-2007, 02:37 PM
PSO169
Road Master

All they keep telling me is they dont even reccomned Burned CD's. How else do you make a MP3 disc. I called another dealership with about the same results. If you look at their own information on the HK radio

"The base radio features six AM and ten FM radio presets, integrated weather band, and a single disc CD player that is compatible with CD/CDR/CDRW and MP3 format discs. "

New high-power speakers deliver exceptional sound, and improved durability keeps the music coming mile after mile, rain or shine. You can play MP3s you've burned on a CD or plug Harley-Davidson's Road Techâ„¢ MP3 player, as well as other music devices, into the auxiliary jack on the Advanced Audio System so you can move to your own beat as you beat the treads.

These are directly from their website regarding the HK stereo and CD/MP3 features.

Jeff

Old 10-02-2007, 02:52 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you performed the upgrade to the radio? You can download it off the Harley Website by choosing a touring model that has a radio and going to "features" and then choosing "guages" and clicking "more" on the radio.

Quick Reply: Radio Question From the Dealer?