Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brighter Head lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: brighter Head lights

Yep. SilverStar bulb.
Makes for a nice light. My problem was, I can't get them to last for more than about 12-15,000 miles. I've gone through two, package said "For motorcycle use'. Two was enough, I put the stock bulb back in.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:50 AM
cowboyglide
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: glide

I replaced the 55/60 in the headlight with an 80/100 osram bulb. It's like driving in the daytime and no melt downs either. It projects the full beam from one side of the road to the other unlike the stock bulb that basically gives you a spot ahead of the bike and some light to the sides but not much. Just what I needed.
I tried to fine the 80/100 on their web site but was not sucessful. What is the name or number of the bulb you bought. Cost? Where to buy?
Thanks

Old 10-02-2007, 12:34 PM
gambler
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FastHarley

ORIGINAL: casique

Fastharley,

Are you running the HIDs yoou recommended? How are they and the installation? Thanks.
First of all, I am the person who sells them. Want to be clear on that. I do only use them, that is why I wound up importing them because I could not buy them anywhere. As beingmy own customer, would I put them on my next bike? Absolutely. I ride with other people. When I ride, I notice that the other lights disappear, their yellow headlamp is canceled out and it would make no difference if they turn off their headlamp. I notice that they will always stay a few feet behind me as they use my light as the frequency picks up much more detail. I only tell what I see as a BS-er will get found out. Take a ride in a Benz, the headlamp produces the same amount of light as one of these units. There is a different technology than filament bulbs, as far as different wattages go. They are small and reliable unless you hit a VW Micro-mini bus.
As I said, see me for all warranty work or technical advice during installation. You can call me just about anytime unless I am sleeping, in the machine shop or riding (noise reasons only). I live in ft. Lauderdale, FL EST The buck stops at me.

Can the KISAN modulator be used with your HID system?

Old 10-02-2007, 12:48 PM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Kisan Modulator is not compatible with HID, from our understanding of how HID works.

Daniel Stern has the Osranm Bulb at a competative price

Good Luck

Old 10-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Isshinryu
Tourer

Harley makes a upgraded light bulb that fits any bike with a replaceable bulb. I put it in my 06FLHX and it is a big improvement. It was $20.00 and the light is much brighter and better than stock.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Motown_HOG
Road Master

I would go with PIAA bulbs instead of the HID setup. People I have known with the HID setup were not that impressed with it for the cost. Try the PIAA bulbs first and if that doesn't get you acceptable results then invest in the HID setup.

I have the PIAA bulbs and am very happy with them. They are $50/bulb but worth every penny.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:43 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

ORIGINAL: gambler

ORIGINAL: FastHarley

ORIGINAL: casique

Fastharley,

Are you running the HIDs yoou recommended? How are they and the installation? Thanks.
First of all, I am the person who sells them. Want to be clear on that. I do only use them, that is why I wound up importing them because I could not buy them anywhere. As beingmy own customer, would I put them on my next bike? Absolutely. I ride with other people. When I ride, I notice that the other lights disappear, their yellow headlamp is canceled out and it would make no difference if they turn off their headlamp. I notice that they will always stay a few feet behind me as they use my light as the frequency picks up much more detail. I only tell what I see as a BS-er will get found out. Take a ride in a Benz, the headlamp produces the same amount of light as one of these units. There is a different technology than filament bulbs, as far as different wattages go. They are small and reliable unless you hit a VW Micro-mini bus.
As I said, see me for all warranty work or technical advice during installation. You can call me just about anytime unless I am sleeping, in the machine shop or riding (noise reasons only). I live in ft. Lauderdale, FL EST The buck stops at me.

Can the KISAN modulator be used with your HID system?

as the person said "NCCopBikeRider" is correct NO! The bulb does not work like a filament bulb. HID is a gas filled glass bulb that is ignited with a large jolt of high voltage spark. The arc is struck and the bulb illuminates. This is very similar to the florescent light in your kitchen. That is how you get 3X the light while using ½ the power (around 35 watts). The down side of these lights is they will last almost forever if you never turned them off. Turning them off is what ages them. That is how a KISAN modulator works by turning them off & on.
I use my spotlights during the day and use a modulator for much better visibility. At night the HID is very bright that if you were to turn on your spotlights, you would never notice them as the HID drowns them out as does other riders riding next to you. Other riders lights just disappear while riding next to you. They would just use your light for seeing as theirs is useless.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:57 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

ORIGINAL: Motown_HOG

I would go with PIAA bulbs instead of the HID setup. People I have known with the HID setup were not that impressed with it for the cost. Try the PIAA bulbs first and if that doesn't get you acceptable results then invest in the HID setup.

I have the PIAA bulbs and am very happy with them. They are $50/bulb but worth every penny.
That is a matter of personal opinion. I am not trying to hawk anything but I will tell the truth. Just check out the lumens it puts out. One trip at night around Sturgis, next to someone who has a HID will change your mind. I say, be informed and try it for yourself before buying anything. Drive next to a Benz with cardboard over one headlamp. If the color selected is a reasonable white and not purple (where they look cool but are not worth a sh*t), notice the difference. Check it out. Do not spend any cash on anything until you research your investment and make your own personal judgment. I know I did and that is how I decided to carry this performance enhancement to go alone with my other non-related hi-performance original suspension products. If I can’t see, I can not go fast. I did it for the safety factor.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:23 PM
gambler
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[/quote] as the person said "NCCopBikeRider" is correct NO! The bulb does not work like a filament bulb. HID is a gas filled glass bulb that is ignited with a large jolt of high voltage spark. The arc is struck and the bulb illuminates. This is very similar to the florescent light in your kitchen. That is how you get 3X the light while using ½ the power (around 35 watts). The down side of these lights is they will last almost forever if you never turned them off. Turning them off is what ages them. That is how a KISAN modulator works by turning them off & on.
I use my spotlights during the day and use a modulator for much better visibility. At night the HID is very bright that if you were to turn on your spotlights, you would never notice them as the HID drowns them out as does other riders riding next to you. Other riders lights just disappear while riding next to you. They would just use your light for seeing as theirs is useless.
[/quote]

FastHarley,
Thanks for the explanation. Very informative.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:21 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: cowboyglide

ORIGINAL: glide

I replaced the 55/60 in the headlight with an 80/100 osram bulb. It's like driving in the daytime and no melt downs either. It projects the full beam from one side of the road to the other unlike the stock bulb that basically gives you a spot ahead of the bike and some light to the sides but not much. Just what I needed.
I tried to fine the 80/100 on their web site but was not sucessful. What is the name or number of the bulb you bought. Cost? Where to buy?
Thanks
They are available in some auto parts stores but not as many as other type bulbs. You can get them here, third one down.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/hardware/Bulbs/H4#3

Quick Reply: brighter Head lights