Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grease that neck I say!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 04:00 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Grease that neck I say!!!!!

OMG![][] I was doing the 5k service on my bike and got the grease gun out, loaded a new tube of Harley Davidson Special Grease, connected the zert to the gun and began the lube process to the neck of the bike. Bike is an '07, so I thought, hey, I'll just put a couple of pumps worth of grease and be done......

NOT!! The darn thing drank nearly half a tube of grease!!!!!!! It's as if there was none in there and think of how long the neck bearings woulda lasted...........unbelievable. You don't want to know the cost of the dealership changing neck bearings..........it ain't cheap!!!

I highly suggest taking the time and servicing the neck of your bike with grease. It's not difficult at all and the preventive maintenance would save someone a bundle of $$$$.

I could not believe a new bike had so little if any at all.[:'(]

Old 09-30-2007, 04:04 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Grease that neck I say!!!!!

Also put a 90 degree fitting during the service. Makes life much more better!

Old 09-30-2007, 04:08 PM
BikerGent
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a 07 Had NO greese fittting for the neck after the install it drank Boo KOO greese .
Way To GO HD !

Old 09-30-2007, 04:09 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't find anything in the service manual or online that indicates the entire neck should be filled with grease, where did you get this information. My thought was as long as the bearings are greased that is all you need. It is not like it is a wheel bearing.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:26 PM
cwilks
Banned

Its complete BS..........anyone who fills the entire neck with grease to TRY and grease 2 bearings is nuts. The motor company greases the bearings BEFORE their assembled THAT'S why the neck is emptyand why filling the neck is a sad excuse for greasing those bearings. You want to do it right...take the front end apart but I'll bet ya my bike against yours that if you don't grease them at all (like me ) you'll NEVER have a problem.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Drew
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The service manual sates to grease the steering neck until the grease "exudes from the top and bottom" of the neck.

I used two tubes of grease. Of course, one tube squirted all over my workbench and tool box when the bleed screw of my grease gun came out [:@]

Old 09-30-2007, 04:51 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cwilks

Its complete BS..........anyone who fills the entire neck with grease to TRY and grease 2 bearings is nuts. The motor company greases the bearings BEFORE their assembled THAT'S why the neck is emptyand why filling the neck is a sad excuse for greasing those bearings. You want to do it right...take the front end apart but I'll bet ya my bike against yours that if you don't grease them at all (like me ) you'll NEVER have a problem.
[sm=icon_rtfm.gif] Einstein.

Page 2-78 if you have a manual.

The local cops would be buying neck bearings like candy if we serviced their bikes as you suggest............guess we're "nuts".[sm=smarty.gif]

Old 09-30-2007, 04:58 PM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The question is why are they still using bearings that need to be greased? Sure seems like there should be a sealed bearing that wouldn't require grease for this application.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:07 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: AtkRWC

Also put a 90 degree fitting during the service. Makes life much more better!
Went to O'Reilly's/AutoZone/Advanced Autoto get one....uno....1....................had to buy a WHOLE butt load in one package.[]

I asked the guy at the counter, whoneeds thirty freakin 90 degree zerts at one time? I left them on the shelf and bought a flexible hose for my grease gun instead.[8D]

Still wish I had a 90 degree zert.[>:]

Old 09-30-2007, 05:15 PM
joenuclear
Advanced

They make a fitting for the end of your grease gun that slips over the stock fitting.

Quick Reply: Grease that neck I say!!!!!