Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paging Road Glide & Street Glide owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005 | 05:16 PM
JWalker
|
Intermediate
Default Paging Road Glide & Street Glide owners

So, visited the local HD stealer over the weekend, and spent quite a bit of time staring at both the Road Glide and Street Glide. Since the weather here is not cooperating much by any stretch of imagination, a test ride is not an option for now. Have a few questions.

How much extra weight is there on the forks because of the the fairing? I did ride an Electra Glide back in 2003, and recall low speed handling being a bit tricky... Is it an issue for anyone?

On the RD, did they switch to a silver finish for the engine on all of them, or can you order a black powdercoated one (strictly a personal preference)?

Does the shorter windshield actually do any good on the highway on the Street Glide? I'm 6 2, and it just seems really short... (looks cool, though)...

From what I understand, the Street Glide has the same lowered touring suspension as the Road King Custom... Any issues with bottoming out on bumps?

Thanks!!

Old 12-05-2005 | 05:57 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Default RE: Paging Road Glide & Street Glide owners

got an 06 street glide, since aug 02. bike handles and runs fantastic. lowered rear looks cool and rides fine solo or double. road glide comes only with silver engine and does not have the custom parts that the street glide does. personally like the look of the bat wing much better.

Old 12-05-2005 | 06:00 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

short shield is strictly for looks. I am 6'3" and use an 11 inch for longer rides. super easy to change.

Old 12-05-2005 | 06:20 PM
Otisroundtree
Tourer

Get the road glide...to many folks getting the Street...I want to keep it to a minimum. Just joking...I have the SG...I am 6'5 255lbs and I love it. The wind does not bother me at all, that is the point in riddin' a bike. Anyway to me my SG handles like a real bicycle in slow turns. I love to show off in parking lots...the bike actually makes me look like a great rider. I would rate myself an Ok rider eben after the MSF. THE MSF class is a must for all riders. not only gives you the skill but the confidence that you can handle a situation if and when it arises.

Old 12-05-2005 | 06:34 PM
Isshinryu
Tourer

I have a Street. Got it about 1 month ago, had a 2000 Road King before that. I love the Street Glide, the look, the handling, and the ride. The short faring gives it a wind in the face feel that I like. I also got a taller window for longer trips.

If you want to ride long distances go for the Road Glide. If you ride day trips and weekends like me the street is perfect.

John in GA

Old 12-05-2005 | 07:07 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member

I have an '06 Street Glide and the low speed handling is fine; the extra weight is not an issue. Like you said, the shorter windshield looks cool but is pretty impractical for serious riding. Harley's 9" works well for me at 5'11". The lowered suspension does bottom out when I'm two-up but I'd like to think that if I keep playing with the air in the shocks I'll get it figgered out sooner or later...started with 0 p.s.i. (delivered to me that way ), and I've tried 8 p.s.i. and 10 p.s.i. Gonna try bumping it up next spring.

Old 12-05-2005 | 07:24 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior

I love my SG. This is my first cruiser/heavy bike coming from a sportbike and the thing handles great I think for being a heavy bike. The suspension does bottom when hitting good size bumps in the road, but I have also not messed with the airshocks yet and am changing them over to 440's in the winter. I have no problem with the windshield being 5'8" except for my passenger because she sits a little higher. I'm going to the 6" Black Chrome Shield and things should be great after that.

I personally don't like the spaceship look of the RG or how it's set up, but that's all a preference.

GET THE SG you won't regret it

Old 12-05-2005 | 07:46 PM
2006streetglide
Road Captain

I have the Street Glide and I wouldn't have it any other way. I am not a fan of looks of the RG but to each his own I guess....

Sorry RG owners but that is just my $0.02.

Old 12-05-2005 | 08:20 PM
Scotto
Banned

I like the looks of the Street Glide. I own a Road Glide and love it. I would buy another RG without hesitation. I didnt like the look at first but once it grew on me it became my favorite. I also like parking next to 10 batwings and 20 Road Kings and being the only RG there. Kind of a cult thing.! Youll be happy no matter which you choose. They are all silver powdercoated. I have never bottomed out my RG solo or two up. They are lighter feeling bars but not enough to impact the decision IMO.

Old 12-05-2005 | 08:26 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Let's see..........Oh Yea, Roadglide!

Actually I think the Streetglide is a beautiful bike. I like the fixed fairing better for handling and I also love the way it looks. If you want the black motor, then you better go with the Streetglide.

[sm=biker2.gif]

Quick Reply: Paging Road Glide & Street Glide owners