Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advanced H/K Radio on Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007 | 09:37 AM
JimmyV
|
Stage II
Default Advanced H/K Radio on Ultra

I just got a Ultra that came with the Advanced OEM Radio from Harmon Kardon. I want the intigrated GPS and XM radio however; to spend 1000 on the GPS and 500 on the XM which XM should give you since you are going to pay for a service is stupid. Is there an aftermarket that directly intigrates with the system? This is the kind of stuff that makes you hate Harley!

Old 09-29-2007 | 09:49 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Advanced H/K Radio on Ultra

First off, congrats on the new bike....

Now - if you knew all that as a negative, then why buy it? Think about it....

Contrast that to a Goldwing. You can buy one with a Nav system - but it's about 2-4 generations behind, and it can NOT be upgraded with software, nor used "on the fly". I liked the idea of the integration, but also know that GPS's will continue to improve and evolve, so I solved it with a $200 Garmin 2610 (refurbished).

XM? You complain about HD - yet you're willing to pay MONTHLY to listen to stuff you can get free??? Ah don't git it...then again, you can buy almost ANY XM, an' either feed it via the aux input, or get one that broadcasts a weak signal an' tune it in w/yer radio. Less than $100 almost anywhere.

Old 09-29-2007 | 10:10 AM
JimmyV
|
Stage II

Thanks on the Congrats! I do love the bike it just seems like a lot of money for these options. I know I can use any device however I will most likely step up to the plate and pay cause I like the intigration. Actually, my first choice is Sirius due to the programming that I can't get anywhere.

As you mention, a GPS can be had for a couple, few hundred dollars. I wouldn't mind an upcharge due to Harley intigration but, as mentioned it is a little over the top.

I'm just wondering if any third party organizations have options for us.

Old 09-29-2007 | 10:38 AM
Pete7539
Cruiser

Check out myradiostore.com , they have xm receivers and I think sirius as well. XM's Pioneer Inno is a great portable player with 50 hours of storage time. Sirius has something called a Stilleto that holds 100 hours. If you like O&A, Ron&Fez, or Stern; the storage works great so you can just skip all the advertisements. H-D has no storage, so for $500 I think its alot of $ when an Inno is less than $200 and you can bring it into your home as well. my.02

Old 09-29-2007 | 10:42 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member

Contact Sirus. I have a sirus but not using it any more due to the ultra will play mp3's on a disc. 1 disc will hold from 110 to 130 songs which gives you at least 7 hours of music. You are only lostening to the disc-most persons-while riding so that increase's the 7 hour play time. I to am using a garmin 2610 gps. The cool part of the garmin units you can use it on all bikes, cars, and trucks and only takes about 3 min. to disconnect and reconnect. You get updated maps and a mapcource for planning trips or transfering tags to make a route while riding. The mapsource goes on the pc and has motels/hotels, fuel stations, food and etc.
You can check out http://www.sierra-mc.com/ They may be able to help you in your desire for a gps and sirus

Old 09-29-2007 | 10:43 AM
DanB
Tourer

JimmyV...

I have the GPS on my SE Ultra. You cant read it, so hard to program and to be honest with you, for a 350 or so I would prefer one that I can move from vehicle to vehicle. Seems more sensable. And I have XM radio. While it is great..again, as Texasredneck stated you can buy an over the counter XM or Sirius. Also, this screen is so hard to read in daylight that no matter what you want to do..am, fm, xm, weather..you gotta be in the shade to really see the screen well.

Enjoy your ride.

DanB

Old 09-29-2007 | 10:57 AM
TickTock
Club Member

I would suggest that you look into the Garmin Zumo 550. It is not integrated with your radio but it comes with a car and a motorcycle mount. It also operates on it's own battery power. I have a friend who has the integrated GPS in the radio and he hates it. The screen is small and is not really useful. The Zumo has the ability to have XM radio as well. You can interface the unit into your existing radio with either the aux port on your radio or use the Bluetooth accessory add in on the HK.

Old 09-29-2007 | 05:49 PM
MACK
Road Warrior

BEST UNIT IS THE GARMIN ZUMO 550 FOR ABOUT $700.00. HAS XM,BLUE TOOTH,MP3 ANDTHE BEST GPS AROUND. CAN ALSO BE DETACHED AND MOUNTED IN YOUR CAR.

Old 09-29-2007 | 06:15 PM
TimAT
Advanced

My SEUC came with both XM and the GPS. I really like the XM- but that's just me. The GPS IMHO, sucks. Can't add enough to it to make it really useful, and can't easily add a route. It'll figure point "A" to point "B" just fine, but it won't add a stop or a different route as far as I've figured out anyway.

Old 09-29-2007 | 06:26 PM
joenuclear
Advanced

If you look at the 08 catalog you'll see a handle bar mounted Harley branded XM radio. In the notes it says it won't fit the 08 models. I asked my Service Manager "Why not"?.

No one in Harley tech support could say why it wouldn't fit so we they installed it. It works fine although I repositioned the antenna to the top of the dash.

As I'm sure you've heard almost any GPS is better than the Harley unit.