Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JBL, Harley, J&M SPEAKER Comparision ,,,

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:59 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts
Default JBL, Harley, J&M SPEAKER Comparision ,,,

Speaker Comparison test on 2008 RoadGlide ,,,,[/b]

Compared stock Harley speakers, JBL-GTO527's and J&M #HRUS-06GT's ,,,, mounted each set on the bike, putting the fairing completely back together for each listening session,,,,,

we used the same song on the CD for each test (Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress by the Hollies),,,, bass and treble settings for each test at two little blocks to the right of center ,,,, volume set at maximum possible level sitting still in our enclosed R&D shop ,,,,,

this time we also employed the use of a simple Radio Shack db meter set for each test on top of the head manikin you can see in the photos ,,,,, so that we could help verify what our ears were telling us ,,,,,

we have no way to know if the Radio Shack DB is accurate or calibrated, as we only used it for comparison purposes to measure maximum volume difference between the speakers ,,,,, and was placed approximately 3’ from the speakers ,,,

the first test was with the stock Harley speakers ,,, nominal, pretty constant db level was approx 101 and peak db attained during the song was 106 ,,, and we could definitely hear some distortion from the speakers at this level ,,,,

the second test was with theJBL-GTO527 speakers ,,, nominal, pretty constant db level was approx99-100 and peak db attained during the song was 104 ,,, there was no distortionwith the JBL's at this level but there was a definite lack of midrange, as we could hear mostly only lows and highs compared to the stock Harley speakers ,,,,,

thethird test was with the J&M #HRUS-06GT speakers with the replacement grills with mounted tweeters,,, nominal, pretty constant db level was approx 105 during the song track and peak db attained during the song was 110 ,,, no distortion that we could hear and the speakers produced the full range of music with a strong and bright midrange we feel is necessary for on the highway clarity ,,,,,

in summary, the db meter, whether or not it was accurate confirmed what our ears were telling us ,,,, the J&M speakers are louder than either the stock Harley or the JBL’s at the same volume setting on the system and produced the least distortion and best (at least to our ears anyway) overall sound ,,,,,

anyone that is still skeptical may make an appointment to visit our shop anytime and we will duplicate this test for them ,,,,,,,

JMJOHN ,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,

[IMG]local://upfiles/30771/CED0A9BC016A4FEC81BBF2B7AF18B45B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/30771/AF8B61521BB04C079A1634077F68BF16.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/30771/0CAA04C2FCE74F13A07603CF460093C5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/30771/2D59D4248DD740A08B929371AE052F0C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/30771/658FD860A34C42D4A33D25AE758606EF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-28-2007, 01:01 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: JBL, Harley, J&M SPEAKER Comparision ,,,

Hey, John - are ya sure that's a manikin?!?? Shore looks a lot lahk ol' Jack Sides.....

Old 09-28-2007, 01:14 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

hahah ,,,,, LOL ,,,, hahaha ,,,,,,, LOL ,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am rolling now ,,,,,,, OK ,,, back up ,,,,,,

Jack sides ,,,,, now there was a special character, others will not understand ,, you had to meet him ,,,,,,

as for the Manikin ,,,, you are right,, there is a resemblence ?!?!?!!!!! ,,,,

Old 09-28-2007, 01:25 AM
SubZer0
Road Master

I would like to see a comparison between J&M and Hog Tune's speakers. I'd like to get some new speakers for my 05 RG but I just don't know which way to go.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:33 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: JMJOHN
Jack sides ,,,,, now there was a special character, others will not understand ,, you had to meet him ,,,,,,

Hey, the ol' coot is still around - in fact, he even sneaks through this forum on occassion - in which case, yer in fer a heap of 'splainin'....

Old 09-28-2007, 05:57 AM
Blackisfast
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This reminds me of the Amsoil white papers.

John...why not contract an independent acoustic lab to run tests and remove all doubt? Seems to me that's what is needed. Certainly if I were claiming better quality sound *and* had a financial stake in it, that's what I would do.

Of course, even the audiophile magazines who *do* conduct such testing still run disclaimers that what tests can demonstrate still doesn't apply to consumer satisfaction...that any sound is a subjective measure. For example, I know that cd's are perfect digital recordings...but I still prefer the *sound* of old vinyl.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:42 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

ORIGINAL: SubZer0

I would like to see a comparison between J&M and Hog Tune's speakers. I'd like to get some new speakers for my 05 RG but I just don't know which way to go.
I would also. From the stand point of this forum, it seems that J&M, Hawgwired,and HogTunes are the one's that most seem to be interested in so a test between them would be beneficial.

Bill

Old 09-28-2007, 07:59 AM
itsmyforte
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a more accurate test of sensitivity you need to use pink noise with an A weighting or some standard frequency roll off at the top and bottom frequency ranges. Also because of the difference in impedance between the drivers your measurement is flawed. You should have used a calibrated disc of sorts that you can measure with a resistor of the same DCR as the speaker before each measurement was taken. Each speaker should have the exact same voltage at the speaer driver before a sensitivity measurement can be taken. Music is too dynamic of a source to use in this kind of testing. I'm NOTbashing your product or you, justputting some info out there that I use on a daily basis aspart of my job.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I, too, notice the lack of mid range from the JBL speakers as compared to the stock ones. I 'm thinking about the J&Ms but I don't like the seperate tweeter, I want stock grills.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:08 AM
Oilcan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: JMJOHN

hahah ,,,,, LOL ,,,, hahaha ,,,,,,, LOL ,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am rolling now ,,,,,,, OK ,,, back up ,,,,,,

Well, shoot. Ya'll talk like I've passed over. John, John, John ...... I can understand that under edgemacated Redneck, but I thought you appreciated "class". Speaking of "class" ... I gots myself a new scoot ........ BLACK, of course!

Quick Reply: JBL, Harley, J&M SPEAKER Comparision ,,,