Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JBL, Harley, J&M SPEAKER Comparision ,,,

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 12:05 AM
tcp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JBL, Harley, J&M SPEAKER Comparision ,,,

hehehehe... from where I sit John it looks like you started the "bar fight" ;-)

With all due respect to a well respected sponsor I just have a hard time putting stock in your reports because you have so much to gain from pumping up your own product. Ya know what I mean? Would you come on here and bash your product if you found the results to be different? Probably not I reckon. Any way, I run your antenas and they work great. But I'm not rushing out to buy your speakers based on your reports any time soon. I'd like to find an ubiased test of the most popular products before I make a choice. Until then the stock speakers work well enuff for me

Cheers,

tc

ORIGINAL: JMJOHN

Glideman ,,,,,,

not to jump in the middle of the bar-fight here ,,, but I mentioned why Hog-tunes was NOT included in this test earlier in this very thread ,,,,,

sorry for the confusion ,,,,, JMJOHN ,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,

Old 10-02-2007, 08:07 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

tcp ,,,,,,

I certainly respect your opinion and your idea that JMJOHN doing the speaker comparison test is a lot like the fox guarding the hen house ,,,,,

However, if the J&M speakers were not the best available from all of the comparison tests I have ever done, I would not post the results here ,,, simple as that ,,,,, why would I ?

in addition, I would change the design as necessary to make sure that the J&M speaker upgrades ARE the best available, as I have control over exactly what the manufacturer makes for J&M ,,,,,

that is what separates the J&M-Harley speaker upgrades from all the rest, the speakers are made specifically for each application and this allows me to maximize the sound and performance of each speaker to exactly what they are going to be used for ,,,,

moving the tweeter to the custom made grills is just one example of this design flexibility I enjoy, when the speaker is made for a specific application ,,,,

few other companies have that option, as the others generally use off the shelf automotive speaker designs, adapted to the Motorcycle ,,,, JMJOHN ,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,

Old 10-02-2007, 08:43 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No worries John. I just wished you would have contacted Pez to see if he would have been interested in joining the party and bench testing their product against yours at the same time.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Isshinryu
Tourer

ORIGINAL: j2dawson

ORIGINAL: Isshinryu

I installed the JBL speakers in my 06 FLHX yesterday. With all the talk about the speakers I guess myexpectation was to high. The speakers do sound better than stock and clearer when at full volume. It was worth the 50 bucks I paid for the speakers.I think you can not expect much out of a 5.25 inch speaker. I wonder if the J&M'ssoundare worth $100.00.I would really like to hear them.Ithink speakers are only as good as they sound to you. To me the JBL's are just ok, nothing to get excited over.
My opinion of my JBLs match yours. Do you notice a lack of midrange response compared to the stock speakers?

I think the JBL's were better than stock all the way around.I agree with you they do not have a real strong midrange. There is a little switch on the tweeter of the JBL's that when I moved it to the other position the speakers sounded better. I could give the speaker full volume withoutdistortion. I would still like to hear the J&M's it may be worth it to change if they are as much better and JMJOHN says they are. PlusI would like to support a small business man. It was not much effort to change them. I did not know that much about Harley speakers when I first saw the post on the JBL's.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Isshinryu
Tourer

The other thing I ment to say was that I broke the headlight bulb connector when I took off the clam shell. I replaced it with the Harley upgrade and that was worth doing the light is much brighter now.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Firetender
Road Warrior

Fit in a set of Paradigm cones and I'd consider adding music to the FLH. Otherwise it's too painful to listen to "car" stereos. That's the price you pay for high-end audio, it's tough to try to go back again. From what I've seen off-the-shelf, Polk would be my first choice though.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:37 AM
MyBluOx
Tourer

I'll play the mediator. If John and Pez will send me a set of thier speakers for the bike listed in my sig. I'll do an independant test and give everyone on this forums my unbiased opinions on each brand of speakers.

How's that?

Jeff

Old 10-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Rob2002
Tourer

Well I hate to miss out on all the fun here.......................
It may just be me but when Ilisten tomusic on the home set up, play live or listen on the bike, the first thing I do is boost the lows and highs. I don't want to hear just mids. Does anyone leave the EQ flat? Without the low punch or the highs, the mids lack clarity. Hell I can hear the mids on the stock speakers.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:25 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain

I listened to the JBLs last week at a car stereo shop. I didn't think the improvement in the sound quality wasworth the effort. They had a very narrow frequency range and distorted like crazy with any significant volume applied (could have also been the head unit...) If fact, all the 5.25" speakers I heard were simply not very good - pitchless bass, not much in the low-midrange area and bright highs. The only one that was decent was a set of Infinity Kappas (which I thought sounded more neutral than even the much more expensive Focals), but even they were pretty ho-hum. At least they had some realistic mids. So, in the unending pursuit of better sound, I may give them a try... [8D]

The cool thing about music is that you can adjust it to suit your taste. Unlike the poster above, all of my serious listening is done with the system set flat. My main sound system doesn't even have any type of tone controls as I try to get as close to a "straight wire with gain" as possible. As long as your system makes you smile, it's doing its job!

Old 10-02-2007, 12:53 PM
SG Mike
Road Master

Maybe it's just me but what are we really trying to achieve here? I spent many years and more money then I care to admit trying tomake my car stereo system sound perfect. When I finally came to my senses I realized thata car is a tough environment to emulate a sound room or my Dad's home stereo system. For starters a car is not air tight nor is it sound proofed enough to do what I was trying to do. Now here we are talking about a Motorcycle that is a 1000 times worst then a car and we are going back and forth about things like mid-range, highs and lows??? Let's get real and understand the limitations of what we are trying to achieve. You are not going to get studio sound on a Motorcyle!

My hat is off to JMJOHN because he's just trying to educate the customer base and also do the impossible which is be everything to everybody.

Rant over!

Mike

Quick Reply: JBL, Harley, J&M SPEAKER Comparision ,,,