Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JBL, Harley, J&M SPEAKER Comparision ,,,

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Bigredone
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: JBL, Harley, J&M SPEAKER Comparision ,,,

It don't make a rat's a$$ difference who test what and what they think about their product or someone elses product. If you are satisified with your sound keep it. Most of the stuff they are howling about can't even be heard by us old folks hamering down the road.. If you want great sound, go to a sound room. If you are riding, be grateful that you can even hear a radio. You sure as hell can't hear much of tweeters, and misrange sheit when you are crusing on a Harley.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:58 PM
spartns
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I guess I'll put my thoughts in to the fray. I put the J&Ms in and really love the improvement over the stock speakers. I installed the short antennas as well. I haven't heard the Hogtunes or the JBL's. However, I went with the J&M's because of John. Never talked with the guy, but, he seems to really care about his product. Either that, or he's just about marketing. I don't think that's the case. I'm sure the others are fine products, but, I don't see Pez on here a lot and JBL has never been on here. Probably never will be. John seems to be willing to take the challange and for whatever reason, make it right with the customer. After all, isn't that what it's all about?

Old 09-29-2007, 01:41 AM
atexn4christ
Road Master

I am really happy with the JM's I put in. I like the separate tweeter. Someone mentioned wrapping swimsuit material over the cover if you don't like seeing the separate tweet.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:05 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Forum members ,,,,

just curious, for those who dislike the J&M speaker grills with the mounted tweeters ,,,,, what is it that you dislike about them ? ,,,,,,

the chrome color of the tweeter ? ,, the type of perforated holes in the grill ? ,,, the idea that you can see the titanium colored main speaker dome thru the grill ? ,,,,

Old 09-30-2007, 07:16 PM
BLUFLHX
Advanced

John.. thanks for the comparison............The speakers with tweeter on top look great

Old 09-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: JMJOHN

Forum members ,,,,

just curious, for those who dislike the J&M speaker grills with the mounted tweeters ,,,,, what is it that you dislike about them ? ,,,,,,

the chrome color of the tweeter ? ,, the type of perforated holes in the grill ? ,,, the idea that you can see the titanium colored main speaker dome thru the grill ? ,,,,
Having never seen the speakers in person, I can only speak from looking at the pictures on the J&M site. I think the exposed, mounted, chrome tweeters look like a cheap consumer gimmick. Like I said, this is only an impression from the picture. I have no idea if they perform better than tweeters mounted behind the grill or not. I see no way to improve the stock grill's appearance. I see your method as a way to identify the speakers as your product when on a bike. I don't care about anyone knowing whose brand of speakers I have. I only care about how they sound.

I'm not entirely happy with my recent JBL speakers I installed because of the lack of mid-range. This could because of my faulty hearing, but I don't think so. I will be trying other brands of speaker soon, but they have to look good as well as perform.

This is only my opinion and is worth what you paid for it, but thanks for asking.

Jim

Old 09-30-2007, 10:09 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Jim ,,,,,,,

I understand now ,,,,, and I can assure you that the J&M grill mounted tweeters are excellent and do not look like cheap additions to the grills ,,,,,

they are installed on the grill in the first place so that they will not block any of the air movement from the main speaker like all of the standard coax speaker designs do ,,,,,,, and it is this enhanced sound performance that separates the J&M speakers from all the rest ,,, not just the tweeter on the grill ,,,,,,

also ,,, the Harley factory Road Glide grills start to look a little "ratty" after a couple of years whereas the J&M grills retain their NEW look for many years into the future ,,,,, JMJOHN ,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,

Old 09-30-2007, 10:43 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

the second test was with theJBL-GTO527 speakers ,,, nominal, pretty constant db level was approx99-100 and peak db attained during the song was 104 ,,, there was no distortionwith the JBL's at this level but there was a definite lack of midrange, as we could hear mostly only lows and highs compared to the stock Harley speakers ,,,,,

thethird test was with the J&M #HRUS-06GT speakers with the replacement grills with mounted tweeters,,, nominal, pretty constant db level was approx 105 during the song track and peak db attained during the song was 110 ,,, no distortion that we could hear and the speakers produced the full range of music with a strong and bright midrange we feel is necessary for on the highway clarity ,,,,,
John,

Cudo's to you for running the test, but shame on you for not inviting Pez to the table and testing other speakers you often come across here in the forums. I guess the JBL sales must have dampened your forumpitch and prompted this little test or you probably would have included your main competition in the test. I know I would have. So since you havethis R&D shop, whyhave you never done this until now? While I am sure you are lit up over your productsdelivering the so called strong and bright mid range, it's really too bad that your products don't deliver enough low end for me. Music is subjective and acoustics are just as indifferrent to many.

I like some bass repsonse in my tunes, and theJBL's handle that very well. As for mid range, I don't think they lack at all. Funny how JBL doesn't need a gimmick to deliver bass from there speakers as their tweeters are right in the middle where you claim they block air movement. Perhaps you should make a cast aluminum basket for your speakers so yours can delivermore bass. I think these guys know plenty about speaker design. After all, they compete with with any high end speaker up to the 30K range. Their products are awesome, and that's a big reason that JBL speakers power more theatres and sound studios around the globe than any other. Cause they flat out rock!

Now, it's time to get back to more important things, like watching Hog Wild again.

Peace

Old 09-30-2007, 10:48 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Ive found it hard to not be happy with just stock speakers.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:31 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Jim ,,,,,,,

I understand now ,,,,, and I can assure you that the J&M grill mounted tweeters are excellent and do not look like cheap additions to the grills ,,,,,

they are installed on the grill in the first place so that they will not block any of the air movement from the main speaker like all of the standard coax speaker designs do ,,,,,,, and it is this enhanced sound performance that separates the J&M speakers from all the rest ,,, not just the tweeter on the grill ,,,,,,

also ,,, the Harley factory Road Glide grills start to look a little "ratty" after a couple of years whereas the J&M grills retain their NEW look for many years into the future ,,,,, JMJOHN ,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,
Thanks for the info John. I'm hoping to see some in person some day.

I don't have a Road GLide, so I don't know anything about their grills, but it looks like my EGC grills shouldn't have any longevity problems.

Jim

Quick Reply: JBL, Harley, J&M SPEAKER Comparision ,,,