Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

storage for winter

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:55 PM
kong00us
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default storage for winter

only going to ride another month or so.Winter will be here...what do I need for storage this winter.have a RKC 2007.....battery tender,staibil for the gas,bike cover...will be in the garage...any suggestion?

thanks

Old 09-27-2007, 03:08 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: storage for winter

I found a couple of web sites for you to look at, http://www.clarity.net/adam/winter-storage.html, and http://www.rmh-d.com/service/winterize.php. This should provide you with enough information. Obviously you don't have to follow these recommendations to the letter, just pick and choose what works for you.

For me the main thing is to change the fluids, top off the tank and add a stabilizer, put a battery tender on, and cover the bike. Where I live we do not have critters that would nest in the bike, but I know some plan for this and do things to their pipes (copper wool) and such. Hope this helps.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:24 AM
DanB
Tourer

Winter????cover the bike?????Wow...we are just getting into the best riding weather. It's been hotter n heck and cooler temps are welcomed. What a shame to have to prepare to bed the bike down for several months.

Move south and ride 12 months of the year.

DanB

Old 09-27-2007, 05:44 AM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's what I do:

Fill up the tank with fresh fuel, add stabilizer. Ride it back home so the stabilizer made it through the fuel system.

Drain and replace all fluids. I use a decent dino oil for winter storage, and drain it off in the spring, replacing with my standard Mobil1 15-50.

Thoroughly wash and wax.

Pull plugs and fog the cylinders - reinstall plugs.

Hook up battery tender and cover.

Cry.[&o]

Old 09-27-2007, 05:49 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

What is fogging the cylinders, and how is it done?

Old 09-27-2007, 06:10 AM
mphayes
Intermediate

To fog the cylinders just go to parts store and get a spray can of lightoil for this purpose. I'm not sure but I think the same company that makes "Stable" makes the product I use. After pulling the plugs you spray a small amount into each cylinder. Helps to keep cylinder walls from accumulating crap. My understanding is also helps to keep ridges from froming around the area where pistons sit's while stored. I also turnengine over, by hand,till piston is at top or botton of its stroke.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The link below gives a good explanation.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/fog.aspx

Old 09-27-2007, 10:06 AM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Storage???? What's that???

Old 09-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Change the oils
Wash&Wax
Put bike on a stand
Cover
Plug in battery tender
Leave it sit until spring, then ride

The one thing you want to avoid is starting the bike up in the garage over winter. The old myth that this charges the battery is just that, a myth. This will actually drain the battery and the engine will not get hot enough to burn off the condensation that will form inside the engine/tank/exhaust so that water will sit in those places and start eating things it shouldn't

Old 09-27-2007, 10:10 AM
madurodave
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kong00us

only going to ride another month or so.Winter will be here...what do I need for storage this winter.have a RKC 2007.....battery tender,staibil for the gas,bike cover...will be in the garage...any suggestion?

thanks
I stored mine at the dealer last year. $375 for the winter. Pricey, but the bike stays warm. I will do the same this year and have the 10k maintenance done. I also need a new rear tire when I put it in storage.

Storage starthere in NH can vary from late Oct. - December. Last winter was warm!

Quick Reply: storage for winter