Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:17 PM
bllx
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cruise Control Installation

buy small c clips cos you will loose the one that comes with the kit

Old 11-05-2007, 09:22 PM
oldhd
Stage II

Help!
I havea '07 ElectraGlide Standard (no security alarm) and I just installed cruise control(HD #77196-07) and now I don't have front and rear brake lights, left and right turn signals, and no cigarette lighter but I do have running lights, headlight, spot lamps, rear taillight, fender tip lights and the bike starts and runs fine.What should I look at first? The install went fine, not too tough. Any help will be appreciated.
And your right bllx, I already lost my C clip trying to install it.
Thanks guys ................

Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,703 Likes on 2,126 Posts

Now I'm curious. My cruise on my '94 stopped working this spring and parts are obsolete. In the manual there are many "deactivation" triggers to disengage the cruise lock. Front brake, rear brake, clutch, throttle roll back switch, speedometer reed switch and a couple of others that I can't remember. I had to check continuity in the harness and various swiches, etc. Long story short, I did something that fixed it.

I assume that the "add on" kit just plugs into the stock harness - was there a break down on the wiring schematic for the control module ? I might have to do a retro fit in the future.

Thanks.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:38 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

My only prodlems and close calls:

Got inpatient and frustrated with ignition switch,watch that!

Lookclosely at connectors instead of cramming the wires in them(they pry open for ez placement of wires) couldhave been bad. also have to compare different pages in manuel for terminal #'s[:@]

Had no problem with loosing clip butdid not snap on all the way. almost sh%t when cc did not work at first,took almost an hour scratching my head til I saw cable just dangleing.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:06 PM
roadtrash56
Novice

I installed a '93 model Cruise with the 94 harness in a 99 FLHPI. Simplified some of the circuitry by not installing the throttle roll off and such. It now has the brakelight light cutout and the on/off. I saved the schematics for it. If you would like, I can copy and send them to you along with the conversion pictures. It works great. I just had to fab a little piece for the end since It had the bolty-on end and the FI has the small clip over piece for it. As for running the wires under the tank... it's amazing what an old CB antenna piece with some duct tape will do when the tank is lifted from the back and still attached in the front.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:10 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,703 Likes on 2,126 Posts

That would be greatly appreciated my friend. With parts being put on the obsolete list yearly, I'm hosed for OEM cruise parts. Being able to do a retro with a newer part would be awesome.

Thanks.

ORIGINAL: roadtrash56

I installed a '93 model Cruise with the 94 harness in a 99 FLHPI. Simplified some of the circuitry by not installing the throttle roll off and such. It now has the brakelight light cutout and the on/off. I saved the schematics for it. If you would like, I can copy and send them to you along with the conversion pictures. It works great. I just had to fab a little piece for the end since It had the bolty-on end and the FI has the small clip over piece for it. As for running the wires under the tank... it's amazing what an old CB antenna piece with some duct tape will do when the tank is lifted from the back and still attached in the front.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:20 AM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Most likely you popped a fuse. Most of the time when those lights are out your speedo will not work either. If this is the case....check the fuse panel under the left side cover in front of the saddlebag
ORIGINAL: oldhd

Help!
I havea '07 ElectraGlide Standard (no security alarm) and I just installed cruise control(HD #77196-07) and now I don't have front and rear brake lights, left and right turn signals, and no cigarette lighter but I do have running lights, headlight, spot lamps, rear taillight, fender tip lights and the bike starts and runs fine.What should I look at first? The install went fine, not too tough. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:20 AM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Most likely you popped a fuse. Most of the time when those lights are out your speedo will not work either. If this is the case....check the fuse panel under the left side cover in front of the saddlebag
ORIGINAL: oldhd

Help!

Old 11-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Rizzo: You might also try Cruisemount.com; Dave, the owner is a really helpful guy and knows the HD cruise system very, very well.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:34 AM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

Be careful with that front brake switch. I broke the tip off of mine and had to soder in a new one. I was also missing the metal clip that fits in behind that switch. My old set of switches made a good organ donor for this stuff.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Installation