Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting fairing

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007 | 04:24 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Painting fairing

FWIW: Here is a link to PPG paint codes for HD colors. I don't know if the info is correct or not, but may be worth investigating.

http://www.harleychatgroup.com/index...le&sid=101

FWIW2: In looking at the retail pricing for PPG paints that "match" HD colors, I don't think there is a significant difference in PPG prices compared to HD's.

FWIW3: Paint matching is very difficult due to different environmental conditions, spray equipment, painter technique, age of the original to be matched, batch-to-batch paint variances, etc. even using "identical" paint.

RK06: The PPG code, from the above link,for Rich Sunglo Blue is 906546; was that what your painter ordered for you?

Old 10-26-2007 | 05:51 PM
hawg50
Tourer

is it a 2 tone blue?

Old 10-26-2007 | 06:03 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

ORIGINAL: Ram

Well if you know of an exotic car painter (Porsch, Lex or the like) that has a Color Camera to a paint matching machine (a computer operated gizzmo that finds the color formula) they will get you a very near 99.9998% color match and paint it for you Professionally...

That is what I did the second time around with my fairing when the first painter that I had do mine used all my EXPENSIVE, H-D paint and screwed up the paint job so bad it all had to be sanded down and done right by an exotic car painter (the second time).

I've gone though litterally He11 with painters, paint trying to do it cheap, or through a friend of a friend who does paint cars and all that mess. Let me give you some hard learned advice, if your having to ask the paint mix rato for hardner, you need a PROFESSIONAL painter. No offence, none is ment.

Save your money an get it done right by a professional with a color camera paint matching system or a bike painter with the H-D paint in hand.

What he said!

Old 10-26-2007 | 07:33 PM
psalm91
Advanced

PPG does have a paint code for that color. Whomever you have paint it, the number of midcoats will effect how it comes out. PPGs match on the paint is pretty close to factory harley. I'm not at work but I think that it is a base of Chopper Blue with a tricoat over the top of it. And I agree with the "take it to a professional" saving $50 isn't worth the grief. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 10-26-2007 | 07:50 PM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member

My painter used house of color paint's. I looked for a painter with a good rep for matching paints and I will tell you he did a flawless job.

Old 10-27-2007 | 07:27 AM
jharanin
Road Master

Find a good painter, bottom line. I have been in the paint business for 25 years and all brands are good and will match depending on the ability of the painter to understand color. There are so mant variables to matching paint, someone in an earlier post made mention of a few, air pressure, reducer temps, activator temps, spray enviorment,air temps, gun set-up just to name a few. If the painter is worth his weight and cares he can match or blend (a little harder because of the small area you are working with) the color. If you had paint mixed by a body shop, did they mix it correctly? no over pours of toners? did the painter do a spray out?

I agree with whoever said "if you're asking mixing ratios, get a pro to do it" as they said "no disrespect" but paint ain't cheap and it may cost you twice as much as it should if you don't know what you are doing.

Old 10-28-2007 | 06:35 AM
RoadKing06
|
Advanced

The code I found everywhere was 906546 and I got PPG paint but it did not match. The name of the paint was chopper sunglo blue. Harley shows it as 2 different colors with 2 different names, I think that is where I got burned. The fairing actually matches the bottom part of the tank, the only part that is chopper blue. The rest of the bike is rich sunglo blue. My original question was so that I can ask the painter about the process he is using and try to ensure tis is tha last time I need to paint it. The HD paint is on order so we'll see soon.

Old 10-28-2007 | 06:56 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

The paint codes which I've discovered in my painting feasco may or may not apply to your vin paint codes for your bike. However:

Chopper Blue Sun Glo..................906546
Chopper blue...............................908588

Primer 98603A qt $39.00
Clear 98609EK qt $52.05

As for what process he uses? I'm sure that he will sand the previous paint job down. This skuffs for the next paint coat which if the dealer is providing you the color by your vin number then that should be the right one! If your actually ordering two colors from the dealer. And you don't know which one is which. I'd ask the painter to do a test spray on some thing other then the fairing. That way when it dries you can pick with confidance which color your really wanting on which position of the fairing!

Any other procedure the painter has is just painting the fairing, its a color coat and it will then need a clear over that. You don't need primer with it allready painted. That is unless your really wanting to do a complete strip down to base glass again! That in my opinion would be way over kill.

Old 10-28-2007 | 08:18 AM
Baggy
Tourer

I found this interesting...............
http://www.pfonline.com/articles/080311.html

Old 10-28-2007 | 10:22 AM
RonH
Road Captain

When I had one of my saddle bags re-painted (also Sun-glo Blue) the guy used PPG, and I left him one of my side covers so he could match it real well as he applied the layers. The base coat was almost purple.