Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP Clutch on a shovelhead.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:23 PM
motoxno53
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP Clutch on a shovelhead.

Ok all I really need some input.

I have a 1981 FLH and when I was removing the stock clutch hub one of the 3 pins pulled out.
I went ahead and ordered:
· HIGH PERFORMANCE CLUTCH HUBS FOR BIG TWINS
These clutch hub assemblies feature long "full width" roller bearings that provide smoother clutch engagement by eliminating "wobble" found in stock type hubs. Fits Big Twin models1936-early 1984. 5-stud version. Part # 070078 from http://www.legendmcs.com/Clutches/clutch-complete-kits-hubs2.html

I also went and ordered (from fog hallow) new steel, friction plates and the talon Diaphragm clutch conversion.
First of all do any of you have any input on any of these?
Are they any good, what are pros, cons?
If this is not going to be a good combination what would be better?
Do you like the long roller bearing kit or is the older cage set up better?

Thanks for all your input.
Chris

Old 09-25-2007, 11:54 AM
underboss
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PLEASE HELP Clutch on a shovelhead.

I have a 1984 FXRP which uses the same type of 10 spring clutch with 3 long fingers.
When I rebuilt it I tried the longer roller bearings in the clutch hub because it was supposed
to eliminate wobbles, etc ... Not good! I had a real hard time shifting into neutral.
The short, staggered roller bearings are better because it allows the clutch more play
to disengage. I lasted one ride with the longer bearings and went back to the shorter
ones.

By the way, you could have had the clutch fingers replaced on the clutch hub. It cost
me almost as much to have them replaced than I would have paid on ebay for a new
10 finger clutch hub. But at least I have the original and everything mates up nicely.
I had the fingers replaced because they were becoming grooved where the clutch plates
bite into them.

I also prefer a 3 long finger clutch over the 5 long finger clutch because its easier to get right
when you need to adjust the preasure plate.

I've not tried this diaphragm clutch spring but I do prefer the 10 spring clutch hub over
a diaphragm spring because its 'old school' and because it gives a linear feel to the
clutch preasure.

I'll bet you end up not liking the longer roller bearings but please follow up with your
comments because I'm curious what your experience will be. I would and did stick
with the 10 spring hub, shorter caged roller bearings and with HD friction plates as well after trying kevlar friction plates.