Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hogpro Wheel Deals

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:09 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Hogpro Wheel Deals

ORIGINAL: Towpro

I went w/the 21" up front, 18" on the back & have no complaints. Look on their web site in the gallery & check the pic of my orange SG.....that's a 21-8 spoke. I'm not on my computer. The pic is probably buried on their page, been 4-5 months, & they add new customers often. Great people to order from, no probs here.
I thought I recognized that bike!! Yeah ...it's there and not buried. One of the best looking bikes in the extnesive gallery!

Old 09-23-2007, 07:15 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

off topic --- your RG is off the chain just sick --- it will be my next HD
ORIGINAL: Kasper

I lowered the front end one inch for the 21" wheel as I had already lowered the rear with the 3/4" lower Harley shocks. No fender mods needed at all and all I had to do was undo the fender bolts and lift up at the bottom and while holding it up tighten the bolts back up. I taped a 3/16" thick washer to the middle of the wheel and while the wheel was off the ground spun the tire to make sure it did not rub. This spec was given to me from my wheel manufacturer as a minimum. I have run the bike way up past highway speed and then had the wheel back off to check and I have had noproblems with the tire rubbing. I went straight from the 16" to the 21" and noticed no difference with handling.

I hope this answers a couple of your questions.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Kern
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: GliderXXX
I thought I recognized that bike!! Yeah ...it's there and not buried. One of the best looking bikes in the extnesive gallery!
Check out Towpro's gallery for some other great views of his ride: Click Here

As far as my ride, no I didn't lower the front. I didn't notice that much of a difference.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Kasper
Tourer

ORIGINAL: GliderXXX

Bobberino,Kasper, Kern,

3 Excellent arguments for 21" wheels after looking at your bike!!!.I keep working on my bike and have done a lot.It looks good, but you always stand back and say "what is it that is going to take it over the top" and your pics are the answer. Thanks for posting and your feedback.
It doesn't sound like anyone has any issues with inferior handling, ride, or high speed wobble; in other words radically changed the excellent handling charactertics of the touring bikes. Would anyone say it has improved?
Kasper...wouldn't I want to lower the front end 1" with a 21" even if I hadn't done any further lowering to the rear end of the SG since the rear is lowered 1" from the factory, just to keep it even?
Bobberino/Kern...did you guys lower your front ends? Also, obviously the front end sit's higher so the fairing and bars are raised to a differnt level than stock resulting in lower windshields providing greater coverage and the bars being a bit higher...am I correct about that?

XXX, Travis,,,,good point. I didn't even take notice about the polished wheel vs chrome, but should have realized due to the significant price reduction. I'll have to scrap that idea and take Kerns advice to put a few more pennies back...at least then I'll make sure and get exactly the style I want.,

Boogeyman...was the 18" just a personal preference for looks or did you have a handling concern?

Also...I currently have the blacked center floating rotors on my black SG which add some level of style to the bike, PLUS eliminated the dreaded front brake squeal most of us had. Is a matching floating rotor an option with these wheels? I can't imagine trading looks to go back to that PITA squeal I was so happy to get rid of.

Thanks for the response...you bikes are gorgeous!
GliderXXX,

I don't think you HAVE to lower the front end. I in fact Iput the wheels on and rode for a day with the front end at stock height as I didn't have time to get the lowering kit installed before a weekend arrived. I noticed no difference in ride, I just had to get used to the raised front for a few minutes. You are correct though that your bike is factory lowered in the rear and it is the same shocks you have that I installed onto my bike. I also agree.....don't get the polished wheels as they will be a pain to keep clean. Some wheel manufacturers have floating rotors some don't but you can rest assured that even if they don't and you install there non floating setup you will not have brake squeel like you did on your stock arrangement. You could have fixed your stock setup by simply swapping the stock rotors from left to right on your wheel. I know because I had that problem on 2 bikes (long story)....and I have the service bulletin from Harley that explains this as the solution....and it worked both times.
Good luck on your decision, but I do recomend the 21" wheel to get you over the top.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:16 AM
tna1000
Tourer

Just another vote for the 21". I didnt notice any kind of handling difference. The only reason I am thinking of lowering the front of mine is for looks. I however went with a sportster custom wheel for the rear. Hated spending as much for a wheel seen very little (not knocking anyone else). I picked it up for under 300 on ebay and I think it looks good. I need to take a pic of and update my sig pic. Just another idea.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:35 AM
IceHeritage
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to do it go 21x18 Chrome you'll never regret it

Old 09-23-2007, 08:44 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: IceHeritage

If you are going to do it go 21x18 Chrome you'll never regret it
Thanks Ice! Pretty well come around to the 21/18 option after these pics and feedback.

Kasper and Kern...which wheels do you have? I'm looking hard at the 8 spokes.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:45 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm going to have to try and find a bike with 21/18 to demo. Everyone that's posted here hasn't experienced any negative effects for handling with this combo.Some say they like the handling better. A search a few other places has a few saying the ride with the combo was "terrible". I find that hard to believe, but I will say I really think the "ride" with the 16's is very nice, just not very pretty

Old 09-23-2007, 11:54 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

Here's my take on this. My current RG has the 21/18, my previous RKC had 18/18, all with ME880.

The 21/18 handles as good as the stock set-up. Going to an 18/18 improves the handling over stock and 21/18.

To me, I was willing to live with stock-like handling for the improved looks of the 21/18.

I did have to modify the fender to get a safe amount of clearance. It seems to be hit or miss, most likely due to manufacturing tolerances in the fender, whether this is required on certain bikes. I went with the Native Custom Bagger fender brackets and re-painted the fender.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:05 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Bigg...handling as good as stock is good enough for me! I am hoping I don't have to do any painting or further purchases make it all work though. I like simple

Quick Reply: Hogpro Wheel Deals