Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, the heads will make a BIG difference
63.16%
Yes, the heads will make a SMALL difference
0%
No, the cost does not justify the performance increase
21.05%
It's a Bagger, it's not supposed to be a Hotrod!
15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Should I get High Comp Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 11:44 AM
BaggerDave
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Should I get High Comp Heads?

Today is the last day I have to decide if I am doing the High Compression heads on my 2006 Ultra.
The dealer is due to pick the bike up tomorrow.
I already have the 95 kit, 203 cam, pipes, Doherty, and Techlusion TFI
But I'm looking for the bike to be a little more of a hotrod bagger.

Let me know your thoughts! Vote!

Old 12-02-2005, 11:53 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Should I get High Comp Heads?

You would probably get a better answer in the technical forum.

But as far as not being a HotRod... Show & Go are a good thing

Old 12-02-2005, 11:58 AM
bonzo2
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Had high compression heads and pistons on my 03 fatboy. You will need to remember to depress the compression release buttons everytime you start the bike weather warm or cold. This is needed to save the starter. It was quite a pain and not sure I noticed a big enough difference. It depends on your whole setup. I had 203 cams and they more than suggested I change these to 257's. after I put the heads on my Rienharts were no longer able to keep up with the setup. I was losing HP. Python 3's work much better for air flow. I also has to change the carb (was a carbed bike) to a Mukuni 42mm. So be careful and understand what you are doing and how it will effect what you have already done. You may be wasting lots of money.

I would not do it again to the new Ultra. Stage 1 with SE slip ons and K&N air with teh down load.

Old 12-02-2005, 12:36 PM
BaggerDave
Tourer

Maybe the Admin can move this thread to the Tech Section?

Old 12-02-2005, 12:43 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

Can we add another suggestion to the poll? Send out your stock heads out for headwork! Best option of all!

A little suggestion dump the 203 cams, and get the 204's if you have to use a SE cam. The SE 204's are better suited to a bagger, as they pull harder down low.

Old 12-02-2005, 03:03 PM
BaggerDave
Tourer

Bump for more votes!
Vote early vote often!

Old 12-02-2005, 07:42 PM
blowe
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely get the heads or headwork.As stated above I would send the stock heads out for work.

Also if you aren't going all Screamin Eagle parts to save the warranty ditch the Screamin Eagle cams.Go with an Andrews,Woods,or S&S gear driven.It's a much better set up and they will rip your arms out of the sockets in comparison to the 203s and 204s if the correct cam for your application is chosen.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:52 PM
BaggerDave
Tourer

And how do I pick the right "arm ripping" cam for my setup?

Old 12-02-2005, 08:36 PM
blowe
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have a mechanic working with you on this build?

A lot depends on what you want out of it?Stump pulling torque or top end HP?
.How do you ride?What's the C/R of the motor?

Andrews 37g,Woods TW5G are my personal choices.There are several to choose from but it depends on the entire build.You don't want pinging issues.If a cam and C/R don't match up that's just what you may get.

Personally I would send the heads off to a porter, 37G cam, an EFI tunning device of your choice which you have already, and a good exhaust system.Have it properly tuned after breaking it in and you're ready for a hell of a lot of smiles.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:23 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Oliver Clozoff

Do you have a mechanic working with you on this build?

A lot depends on what you want out of it?Stump pulling torque or top end HP?
.How do you ride?What's the C/R of the motor?

Andrews 37g,Woods TW5G are my personal choices.There are several to choose from but it depends on the entire build.You don't want pinging issues.If a cam and C/R don't match up that's just what you may get.

Personally I would send the heads off to a porter, 37G cam, an EFI tunning device of your choice which you have already, and a good exhaust system.Have it properly tuned after breaking it in and you're ready for a hell of a lot of smiles.
I agree I would find a good tech to bounce ideas off of on what you want your bike to do, you already have the 95", so with a good CFM air breather and good flowing exhaust, you would need better flowing heads to notice a gain, I would keep the compression around 10:1 10.5:1 and have a good head porter do the work. A lot of people believe that higher compression is the key, but the head needs to flow more to gain more in my book, what I'm saying is you could up the compression on your stock heads but if you don't get a good port/flow job to go along with the higher compression you are only compressing the same volume of air a little tighter, your motor is nothing more than an air pump, the more air and fuel you put in it should create more power, but it has to get back out efficently as well. I would do a little research and find a good wrench that knows what he's doing and go from there. What ever you decide be sure to use proven quality parts and do the research, your motor can be built from mild to wild you just need to match the components or the entire build as said above, so you will be happy with the end results.

Quick Reply: Should I get High Comp Heads?