Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzz Kill

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Buzz Kill

I've been riding Harleys for 30 years and haven't broken down yet. This is an international forum only about harleys. If you logged on to a Dodge Forum you would hear the same crap. We all bit_ch about the little stuff on the forum. Most of the problems you read about here are caused by things we have done to the bikes. We like to modify our bikes which (if you don't know what you are doing) can complicate things.

Get your UC and RIDE

No Worrys

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 12-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Otisroundtree
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think people just like to complain in general. Even Mercedes Benz have problems from time to time. My bike runs great...I like the rattling and vibrations. I love the wind I get in my face...from the street glide. Most of these folks should be in cars and not ride a bike. Have you ever bought a car that was totally trouble free...some yes and some no. Get the extended warranty. It is a good selling point if you ever dump the bike used and find a good dealer. I go to Bartels in Marina Del Rey and they are great. At least for the 1k service.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta agree with Otis. People are usually more vocal when it comes to complaints vs praise.

Cache, Dude, you're forking out some big bucks. It's only human nature to second guess yourself and dwell on the negative.

Take a deep breath man, puff out your chest, and in your deepest manly-man voice proclaim " I will soon be a Harley Owner".

Now wasn't that liberating?

Relax dude. You've found the place with ALL the answers. Pick up your new scoot and enjoy the ride.

Anything ever goes wrong, you know right where to come.

Congrats Brother and don't forget to post some pics if you can get off the new ride long enough.

Primo

[IMG]local://upfiles/1293/AA1CF43548C3462186D6F11109653F33.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-02-2005, 08:52 PM
MFERRARA
6th Gear

cache: when i read you post it was exactly what i was thinking and sweating just before getting my 06 ultra a month ago. i thought of cancelling my order but decided i have to find out what all the fuss is about. i used to think harley riders were nuts, riding their slow, unreliable hogs and lovin every minute, even with the high cost and supposed "breakdowns". as a japanese sport biker for 30 years, who never had a problem with the 10 or so hi-po bikes, i resigned myself to a less reliable ride. i now have only ridden for 1 month and 1300 miles, but i enjoy this bike so much i will live with any problems that come up . by the way, i think you will qualify for an additional 3 months on your warranty, for a total of 27 months. i have talked to alot of harley riders in the last 2 months, and i am impressed with their experience with the bikes. many have gone 20, 30 40, 70,000 miles with little trouble. originally, i was positive i would keep all 3 of my sport bikes, after this last month, maybe i will keep one just for the adrenalin shot once in awhile. i think i will be a bagger for life now. make sure we hear from you after you get it.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:56 PM
BigJohn
Cruiser

I have always felt that if you dig something enough, you will take the bad with the good. I think that H-D's are worth a few inconveiniances as long as you get them solved. Nothings perfect, but I have ridden just about any configuration of bikes, brands and styles, and hands down would not give up my new RK custom for nothin. Like my uncle that builds streetrods says' If they were cheap and easy, everyone would have one. Then how cool would they be'. You may spend a little time gettin the kinks out, but once done ,you will forget about those and just ride the **** outa it!

Old 12-02-2005, 08:58 PM
ultrared
Cruiser

Don't worry...you're going to love the UC. I have 2500 miles on mine so far, loved every one of em. Yeah, I had a couple of small issues, but nothing that wasn't able to be solved at the Dealer on the spot. When you get it, ride it and don't worry about it. If something happens, remember, its only a machine, built by humans...so s#@$ is bound to happen sooner or later but, I think that my ride more carefully built that anything I have ever ridden in/on before. ENJOY!!!!

Old 12-02-2005, 10:42 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had many problems on other bikes in the past, now I'd rather have a problem on my Harley. Nuff said.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:54 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After 5 yrs and 27,000, my original battery failed on me this past summer, and during the 20,000 mile check they found a recall and I have brand new cam, cam bearing, oil pump and sensor, no charge on the recall and the service ended up being $50 cheaper cause they had it for a week. Like anything , take care of it, maintain it, and get the ext warranty if your worried. After 167,000 a friends motorcycle engine went out, as we speak Harley is doing a full reman of his engine covered by some warranty or, just covered, he is not spending a dime. So far pretty happy with Harley and the backing they provide, it has been worth the money and I would not change a thing.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:09 AM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Buzz Kill is the perfect description! It's like the chick on Saturday Night Live - Debbie Downer... Some people complain about everything. I can see why you are worried, I really can. If you read these forums, you'll see people knocking HD something terrible. The same people who tear HD apart in one post, turn around and in the next post they won't ride anything else. I don't even know why some of them ride Harleys. It's no wonder that HD won't allow it's name to be used offically on any of these forums. If you read these forums, you see:

The moco sucks and only cares about share holder profit.
The HD EFI downloads all suck and HD only sells them to rip you off.
The new 6-speed tranny is gonna explode from the thrust pressures of helical gears. HD only built it to save money. It's cheaply made and no good.
The dealers are stealers and only want to rip you off.
The motorclothes are over-priced and only worn by RUBs.
The stock heads all suck.
The Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner kits all suck
.... I could go on and on....

The thing is, certain people just love to knock everything. If you see someone knocking something, look at their post history. They probably knock HD all the time. The truth of the matter is, HD is a great company and they show a lot of interest in keeping customers happy. With a couple of issues that I had, they bent over backwards to help me out. As for the examples I posted above?...

The moco makes a profit because they produce a good product. Period.
There are literally 100,000 of bikes using the EFI downloads that run great. Mine included.
No one predicting the demise of the new six-speed even owns one and they can't name one that's had a problem. Every vehicle maker in the world uses helical gears, but since HD is using now using them, it has to be a ripoff, right?.... it's insane. They are simply knocking it... who knows why.
Some dealers are bad, some are fantastic. Many a stranded rider, 100s miles from home has been saved by a good dealer who worked on a bike all night.
The motorclothes are excellent quality. You want cheap clothes, go to Walmart. RUBs? Some people are jealous I guess. I wish I was a RUB. Better a RUB than a PUB.
The stock heads are working great for over 1,000,000 riders.
The SE AC is working just fine for most people who own one.

It's Internet Forum Syndrome. Armchair Engineers who think they know everything and love to sit on the couch and knock everything HD. They probably applied for a job at HD and got turned down... They're annoying and they won't go away. Ignore them, buy your bike and ride the hell out of it. You'll love it.

Old 12-03-2005, 01:06 AM
R Horn
Cruiser

JamieWG I think your rite on the money.

Quick Reply: Buzz Kill