Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Handgrips - Wiring in handlebar

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 02:37 PM
EriCal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Handgrips - Wiring in handlebar

I am installing heated (Harley-Davidson) handgrips, chrome housings and fat handlebar, etc. on my Wife's new Road King.
I want to run the wires thru the handlebar. No problem with the right grip but the wiring for the left grip is designed to run OUTSIDE the h'bar. With the fat h'bar there is plenty of room for all the wires. The problem is getting the wire from the handgrip to the inside of the bar. It appears I must drill a hole thru the lower switch housing and modify the "flange" on the grip to reach the opening in the bottom of the h'bar.

Have any of you run the wiring for the left heated grip thru the handlebar? What/how did you make the transition from the grip to the inside of the bar?? Pictures??
Thanks, Eric

Old 09-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Heated Handgrips - Wiring in handlebar

Yup.
My bars came with the hole into the bar up where the left control/switch housing goes.( inside a dimple) but I didn't have to modify the housing.
I thought I would have to file a little notch but it was already there. I had way more trouble when it came to fishing the wire. I have Baby Apes and the bends are pretty tight.

*Edit* The notch is in the bottom housing and the wire will simply follow the larger harness wiring from the left side switches into the hole in the bar.
I recall I did cut a notch in the rubber of the rim of the grip that retains it in the housing in order to get this wire into the void of the bottom half of the switch housing. The notch in the housing WAS there.

CN

Old 09-21-2007, 07:20 PM
curmudgeon
Cruiser

The trick to running a wire through any tube with bends in it is to take a string and tie it around some cellophane like from a cigarett pack and stuff it in one end of the tube. Take a vacuum cleaner and put it over the other end of the tube and suck it through.
I don't know about the newer bars, but the older ones had plasitc wire holders that had barbs that poked into holes in the bars. Yank these out so the cellophane won't get hung up on them and snake the wires through and then replace them with the new ones that came with the kit.
Make sure you don't pinch the wires when you reattach things.
Your next question will be. "Do I really need to remove the gas tank to run the wires to the battery?"

Old 09-22-2007, 12:57 PM
EriCal
Cruiser

Ok, Ok. You win

Do I really have to remove the gas tank??

Thanks again,
Eric

Old 09-22-2007, 01:04 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Take heavy string, like a cord from a curtain, and an air compressor, and blow the string through. Vacumns are for the ladies ! LOL In your case, with the left wires, you may need a little wire hook to catch the string at the hole in the bottom of the bars.

I had plenty of working room under my Ultra tank to hide the wires, without loosening the tank or taking it off. I just zip tied to other stuff already under the tank.