Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drive belt

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:56 PM
wrustywrench
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive belt

checkin the belt after the tire change. Put it back EXACTLY at teh stock , unaltered setting after the change. Rode the bike and ,,,,geez,,the warm the belt is tight enough to twang like a gutiar string. I think that is a lot of uneeded stress on the bearings.

Now, I used the guage, bike cold , on a stand to double check it,,, it was correct. I went and loosened it a little...
Should I grin and bare it and go with teh factory setting and leave it tight when hot. Does it get tighter with a load ont eh suspension??

I am checking it tommorow again , cold , no load ,,looking for 1/4 deflection @ 10 lbs force,, 2004 e-glide.....
are they really that tight when right?? ( we like em tight,,,,,)

Old 09-20-2007, 09:42 PM
nb472
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: drive belt

I like to measure mine with someone about my own weight sitting on the bike. I run mine way on the loose side, never a problem and never a leak. Save those bearings!~

Old 09-20-2007, 11:02 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: wrustywrench

checkin the belt after the tire change. Put it back EXACTLY at teh stock , unaltered setting after the change. Rode the bike and ,,,,geez,,the warm the belt is tight enough to twang like a gutiar string. I think that is a lot of uneeded stress on the bearings.

Now, I used the guage, bike cold , on a stand to double check it,,, it was correct. I went and loosened it a little...
Should I grin and bare it and go with teh factory setting and leave it tight when hot. Does it get tighter with a load ont eh suspension??

I am checking it tommorow again , cold , no load ,,looking for 1/4 deflection @ 10 lbs force,, 2004 e-glide.....
I agree with nb472 and I run mine on the loose side, although I check it without a rider. I've used the twist method of gauging tension for years and when this bike is adjusted to the HD spec it seems too tight. When using the twist method it shows about 7/16" on the HD 10# gauge, toward the loose end of the range for a non-SG and very loose for an SG. I used only the twist method on my old RK and its original belt is still on the bike at 110k, so I guess the tension used was proper.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:29 PM
RonB
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the best luck with 5/8 cold on the side stand, that equals out to about 1/8 hot, snug but not enough to do damage to critical seals and bearings. Ive seen the 1/4 in figure in the book but at that setting my belt whines.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:39 AM
hasselbach
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the twist method? Is that a 90 degree twist by hand?

ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: wrustywrench

I agree with nb472 and I run mine on the loose side, although I check it without a rider. I've used the twist method of gauging tension for years and when this bike is adjusted to the HD spec it seems too tight. When using the twist method it shows about 7/16" on the HD 10# gauge, toward the loose end of the range for a non-SG and very loose for an SG. I used only the twist method on my old RK and its original belt is still on the bike at 110k, so I guess the tension used was proper.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:16 AM
wrustywrench
Cruiser

WHEW, i sure am glad someone else doesnt like puttin undue stress on the bearings. I will check it tonight , and if it on the loosey side,, but not too much ,, it will stay there.

they do say that a tight belt is better for racin....I'll just have to tighten it to whoop on sum rice. lol

Old 09-21-2007, 07:18 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure I understand the stress on the bearings thing. Once you tighten down the axle to 100 ft / lbs, the bearings are not going to feel any pull from the belt. It's not like the axle is all the way forward with no supports and the belt is pulling against it. Try to imagine having the axle installed and properly torqued to spec before the belt is installed. That's the load the bearings will see from the belt. Think about it.

Run your belt tight or loose, it won't have any affect on the bearings.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:27 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Why would you want to second guess the MOCO,Gates are the ones that set the tension parameters.Low horsepower machines are not as much of a problem,but,you will accelerate the wear on the pulleys if the tension is not correct.The belt will try to ride up the cogs and if you had ever seen a pulley off a bike with belts not tight enough you would have abetter picture.A belt is far superior to a chain on the bearings.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On my 21 year old FXR I once let an aftermarket shop adjust the belt (can't remember why). They adjusted good & tight claiming that was the "correct" way. Not long after that the belt began sheding teeth. After I replaced that belt I went back to the 1/2" to 5/8" while sittin' on the bike. I'm *still* runnin' that belt. It ain't the bearings you have to worry about.............

Old 09-21-2007, 07:38 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

I have been through this thing too. I have been adjusting belts for a long time and my 06 Touring bike is the first one where I've had a "problem". I adjusted it per the book and when hot, the thing whined like a front wheel bearing was going bad. I checked the adjustment, it wascorrect so I re adjusted my primary chain and when it wouldn't stop the whine, went into the dealer. He said the "new" adjustment method was just too tight. He re adjusted it (seems like it has about 1/2" cold or maybe a tad more) and ten K later, all is well. Dealer said always adjust with weight in the saddle and recheck when its hot to make sure it isn't too tight.

One other thing, you absolutely MUST adjust at the tightest spot or all the measuring in the world won't get a good adjustment. That is why it seems to change to the tighter side when you check sometimes. You are checking in a different spot on the belt. With the bike up in the air on the rear, feel the lower strand with a bit of upward pressure while turning the rear wheel. You will feel the belt push back on your hand at the tight spots. Mark the belt and go through one revolution. Go BACKWARDS to return to the tightest spot and adjust it there. Makes a big difference.

If its too tight, it will whine when hot so listen for it after adjusting. Too loose, it may chirp whenyou get on it or decellerate. No noise or jerking,probably fine.

JMO
EZ

Quick Reply: drive belt