Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing luggage rack

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007 | 01:24 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Installing luggage rack

Naaa, did'nt even measure I just eyeballed it. You think the holesaw I used was to big?I plugged up the extra Holes with JB Weld! ROTFLMAO![sm=icon_rofl.gif]

ORIGINAL: petemac

Do you brain surgeons use masking tape and drill pilot holes? [8D]

ORIGINAL: Akitakoi

Just drillsome holes on the tour pack and bolt it on.[]

No offense but I'm surprised some of you guys can afford a HD.[:-] Bunch of brain Surgeons

Old 09-19-2007 | 02:12 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, another use for JB Weld!

Naaa, did'nt even measure I just eyeballed it. You think the holesaw I used was to big?I plugged up the extra Holes with JB Weld! ROTFLMAO![sm=icon_rofl.gif]

ORIGINAL: petemac

Do you brain surgeons use masking tape and drill pilot holes? [8D]

Just drillsome holes on the tour pack and bolt it on.[]

No offense but I'm surprised some of you guys can afford a HD.[:-] Bunch of brain Surgeons

Old 09-19-2007 | 02:23 PM
sugarbear
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would bea little worried about masking tape lifting the paint. I use blue painters tape and stick to my jeans a couple of times to remove some of the adhesive first.

Old 09-19-2007 | 11:22 PM
stu07hd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what I did.
I used my regular drill bits, but puta piece of low adhesive painters masking tape (blue)where I was drilling and did not have any problems. I was a bit nervous about drilling on my new Ultra also so I feel your pain. I did drill one hole at a time and test fit the rack after each hole. I marked the holes with a sharpie on the tape and did not have any problems even though I was sweating the whole time. Good Luck!

Old 11-01-2007 | 11:46 AM
Exprof
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to look at using a pilot tip bit or brad tip bit for drilling. These bits have a smaller, pointy starting area that reduces the risk of bit walking when you start to drill. It's what I'll use when I get up enough nerve to do the job.

Bought the bits weeks ago, but haven't bought the Premium Luggage Rack yet...I like the appearance, but would only use it to strap on a cover when overnighting. Still conflicted as to whether or not to cover up that beautiful two-tone red on my '08 Ultra's Tour-Pak. Also wondering how much of a PITA it will be to wash and wax around the rack.

Old 11-01-2007 | 12:26 PM
gene01
Road Captain

I have done several of these, 1.,throw the template in the trash..... 2., put a 2 inch wide strip of regualr masking tape down on both sides of the tour pack near the lower portion in the middle but on the upper side from the front to the back......3., place the actual rack on the tour pak, adjust it with your eyes, making sure you have plenty of clearance from the backrest about 1.5 inches.......4., after you are sure it is where you want it use a marker and draw a circle around each of the legs of yoru rack onto the masking tape......5., place a crosshair or a dot in the center of each of those small circles......6., with lid open, drill a 1/8 inch whole in the center dot of each circle...7., after making sure that you can see thorugh each whole and that it is centered on the rach wholes drill the final size whole with lid open, I believe it is 9/32nds .....8 place the rubber gromets on the rack, place the lock washer, round washer and then the rubber grommet on the bolt, I put a squeeze of silicone sealer on then bolt together.... 15 minutes max.........

Old 11-01-2007 | 12:37 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,872 Likes on 9,333 Posts

Uhhhhh, before he starts, shouldn't he take all the stuff outa the tour pac so he doesn't drill holes in them? 8-)

Old 11-01-2007 | 02:16 PM
gene01
Road Captain

I don't know, I drill the wholes with the lid up , there is nothing to contact that way......

Old 11-01-2007 | 02:20 PM
reddfinn
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: sugarbear

I would bea little worried about masking tape lifting the paint. I use blue painters tape and stick to my jeans a couple of times to remove some of the adhesive first.
Masking tape didn't lift the paint on mine. I think the paint is better than that.