Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any problems withusing a 5X10 utility trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:30 PM
garcon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any problems withusing a 5X10 utility trailer

I have an opportunity to go to Florida for the winter and wish to take my RKC. I allready have a good condition 5 X10 utility trailer (load capcity is 2000lbs. and trailer weighs in at 650lbs)that I have usedto transport my Kawasaki mule and riding lawn mowershort distances. I just putbearing buddies on thetrailer and checked out bearings andregreased.I alsobolted a wheel chock to the treated lumber in the floor of the trailer. Question: Am I crazy to trailer my RoadKing to Florida (1000 miles) with my Mitsubishi Montero? I have had the bike in the trailer for short distances, but never as far as1000 miles. Mywife refuses to drive the car let me ride the bike down so if I want to have it in Florida for the winter.....I have to trailer it.Do you see any problem with takinga bike that far in a utility trailerpulled by theMitsubishi Montero.Amyone done something similar to this?Please no wise cracks about ridingthe bikedown, its not an option for me.Anyadvise ? Thanks in advance

Old 09-18-2007, 10:37 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any problems withusing a 5X10 utility trailer

My only concern would be the size of the tires on the trailer. Ah'd be wantin' 14-15" tires on it...

Old 09-18-2007, 11:24 PM
gordon188
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be good to go if the tires are 14 or 15's , I would also invest in a spare, and use anti seize on the lugs and torque them to spec. JMO

Old 09-19-2007, 01:06 AM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just returned from a 2000+ mile trip with my Ultra on a 5X8 trailer with 12" tires. We had repacked the bearing and checked it out real good. Had a spare. No problems., pulled it with a Chevy 1/2 ton pickup and got 18 miles to the gallon. Trailer had a tilt bed, so loading and unloading was not a problem. The only thing different, I would do is get some wider straps, cause the ones I had were kinda skinny looking on there(used 6). You should be fine, if the trailer is in good shape.

Joe

Old 09-19-2007, 06:01 AM
ranjon56
Intermediate

I don't see any problems with that plan either...I have used myheavy duty utility trailer several times doing the same thing. As suggested earlier, just make sure tires (and spare), bearings, straps, etc., are in good shape (and checked regularly while on the trip). Also, I would suggest a having a good lock for your hitch - for your stops and breaks along the way. Have a safe trip....

Old 09-19-2007, 06:48 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

More than ample for a single bike. Here's a couple of tips in case you aren't familiar with towin' a bike:
Always use two pairs of tie down straps on the front of the bike, & run each strap to a separate tiedown point. Two straps aren't any better than one if the tiedown point fails. One set of straps on the rear will be enough. Pull the front suspension down till it stops. You don't need any bounce in the suspension, & it won't hurt the seals. Check the straps at every stop. Don't use ratchet straps anywhere except on frame hard points, 'cause they'll break handlebars, bolts, etc. If it's an open trailer leave the bike uncovered. It's easier to wash off the road dirt than it is to replace the paint a cover in the wind will wear off.

Forget about doin' any improvements to the bike, down here we ride year 'round!............8^)

Old 09-19-2007, 08:12 AM
Seaquester5
Cruiser

Recently pulled my RKC 600 miles on a 5x8 utility trailer with 14' tires from Miami to Orlando and back. I made a front wheel chock out of 2x4's and plywood and screwed it down to the wood floor in my trailer, it isa viable option to more expensive commercially available chocks for occassional use.Used 6 tie downs 2 on handle bars, 2 on lower forks just above the calipers and 2 on the rear. There are numerous thoughts about "HOW TO" tie your bike down on the trailer.Pick one that makes you comfortable and go with it.You certainly can't use 'em all nor please everyone, so please yourself ! Another tip for what it's worth, when pulling a bike on an open trailer. I spray the leading edge of forks, fenders, fairings, headlight, handlebars ,saddlebags, etc with silicon to simplify cleanup at destination. Makes removal of bugs, dirt and road tar a snap. Of course it should go without saying, KEEP THE SILICON SPRAY AWAY FROM TIRES, BRAKES, AND CALIPERS !!!!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:23 AM
FLHTCUI05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will be fine. I pulled my 6X10 trailer with 2 bikes from Virginia to Colorado and back with my Dakota. No problems. Have pulled it a number of times with 1 bike to South Carolina and back with no problems.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be fine. My wife can't drive and let me ride the bike so I built a 5'x9' just for the bike and have a Baxley chock mounted on it with 14 inch tires. With 2 straps from the front down tubes and 1 strap through "D" rings to keep the rear tirestationary I'm good to drive my wife where ever we go and take the bike with us.

Arvid

[IMG]local://upfiles/27149/1A36A8F17B2C4BC397EC71DF1DD98D63.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-19-2007, 09:36 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

My only concern would be the size of the tires on the trailer.
Why for such a light load?

12 inchers are usually rated at 1100lbs each. I have a '76 trailer with 12 inchers that has seen tens of thousands of interstate miles and never had a problem

The fat 10 inchers come rated up thru E. You can put a big load on them. I have a 1800lb Apache camper that has been all over the country riding on 10" C rated tires.

The main thing with smaller diameter tires is to keep them aired up correctly. Regardless of what size you have, be sure to have a good spare.

Quick Reply: Any problems withusing a 5X10 utility trailer