Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any problems withusing a 5X10 utility trailer

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 12:17 PM
dabuckman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any problems withusing a 5X10 utility trailer

Old topic, but I'm looking to purchase a 10' or 12' enclosed trailer to tow my Ultra with, both to Florida, then across country when I move. I hate to do it, but my wife's back will not hold up to more than a one or two hundred miles, especially several days of riding long distance.

Other than the concern of pulling a 950 lb trailer with an 850lb bike behind a Jeep with a 2000 lb towing capacity, which I've accepted and will deal with, my main concern is that with the 10' trailer, will that place too much weight forward on the trailer when loaded with the bike?

I know with the 12' trailer I can sit the bike back further to balance the weight a bit more so the trailer is weighted slightly forward, but not too much. With the 10', there's not as much wiggle room to do this.

Am I being paranoid here? Never towed before, don't want to now, but no other real option.

[8D][8D]

Old 02-02-2008, 07:07 AM
mchildree
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The "dumb questions" are the ones you DON'T ask!

It's pretty widely-accepted trailering practice to put most of the load forward on a trailer, instead of trying to balance it over the trailer axle. This helps spread the load to the rear axle of the towing vehicle and the pull will be much more stable, in most cases.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:23 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL: dabuckman

Old topic, but I'm looking to purchase a 10' or 12' enclosed trailer to tow my Ultra with, both to Florida, then across country when I move. I hate to do it, but my wife's back will not hold up to more than a one or two hundred miles, especially several days of riding long distance.

Other than the concern of pulling a 950 lb trailer with an 850lb bike behind a Jeep with a 2000 lb towing capacity, which I've accepted and will deal with, my main concern is that with the 10' trailer, will that place too much weight forward on the trailer when loaded with the bike?

I know with the 12' trailer I can sit the bike back further to balance the weight a bit more so the trailer is weighted slightly forward, but not too much. With the 10', there's not as much wiggle room to do this.

Am I being paranoid here? Never towed before, don't want to now, but no other real option.

[8D][8D]
I have an 8' Classic CVT85SI-M V-Nose The "V" gives it an extra 2' and easily holds my bagger. It is a dream to tow and the "V" makes for better aerodynamics when towing.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You want some piece of mind? Get a new complete hub assembly for your trailer. In the event you smoke a wheel bearing you can pop the cotter pin off, unbolt the entire hub and put on a new one. Whenever you stop for fuel, check to make sure the hubs are not getting hot.