Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any problems withusing a 5X10 utility trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Chart
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any problems withusing a 5X10 utility trailer

Good information on the trailer is already covered, so I'll address the Montero. Is it the long wheel base version, or the short wheel base two door jeep like version? You won't have much fun on the trip if it's the short wheel base one. The long wheel base should be just fine.

How much tongue weight are you aiming for? Most of us just put the Harley as far forward as possible, but for a 1000 miles, you might want to be a little more careful. (Don't overthink this, if it pulls nice and the truck still rides level, then you should be okay.) What you DONT want is too little tongue weight, or you may get a tail wagging the dog issue. Most use 10 - 15% as a good starting point, but on something this light, you could go more just fine, but try to not squat the truck too much.

Make sure the truck's tires are in good repair, properly inflated for the hevier load, including the spare. Service the brakes, and the shocks if needed before the trip. Trailers have a way of revealing any weaknesses in those that normal driving does not. I like the suggestion of a floor jack, but they take up lots of space. A good bottle jack is smaller, but will do the job fine. Do you have a conventional receiver hitch on the Montero, or a bumper hitch? (If you are not sure what the difference is, please ask). For this trip you'd be better off with a receiver hitch, and they are not expensive if you don't already have one on the Montero. Do they have a odd frame mounted hitch? That should be okay also, but check the manual first.

Finally, Don't feel any need to race the rig at first. Get used to it, the increased braking distance, and how it handles first. I always, well often, stop a few miles down the road and check tires and bearings for exsisive heat, and make sure the hitch is right. Then, at each stop along the way I do a walkaround, laying a hand on each trailer sidewall and hub, making sure they are not too hot, AND that they are similar in temp to the other side. Before departing again, I take another walkaround, checking the hitch ect, to make sure no one messed with it while I was inside. Never had it happen, but it's a good practice anyway.

Lastly, a friend pulling PWC's had this happen to him this summer. The trailer tongue latch mechinism did not fully open up, and he actually set the trailer on TOP of the ball, not OVER it. Thought it was properly latched and drove off. He was lucky and noticed it during a walkaround at the gas station waiting for the family to finally come out. The smooth road and the heavy tool box on the front of the PWC trialer kept it in place, or he would have tested the safety chains. This happens to most trailer pullers at least once in their life, and on a light load like you'll be pulling, it's likely the tongue would pop up off the ball and you'd have an ugly mess.

Finally, any one who knows about bearing buddies is probably going to be okay on this trip. Enjoy your winter while we're freezing up here.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:58 AM
HarlyFan
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: phatmitzu

4x6 foldable trailer with 20" tires.

You should be fine with 5x10. Just check your wheel bearings from time to time.

I was thinking about a Kendon fold up like this, how happy are you with this? Does the bike get alot of rock chips coming off the truck being so close to the rear with no protection?

Old 10-20-2007, 08:56 AM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didnt read every post so someone may have mentioned this also...before you take off,I suggest you load the bike on the trailer and do a 'practice haul' at the MAXIMUM speed you will be driving on the actual trip...short hauls at slower speeds are different from high speed hauls...some trailers start to get 'squirrely' at higher speeds even though they do fine going slower...if you have the tilt trailer,usually the wheels are placed more foreward which will cause handling problems due to the fact that most of the bikes weight will be behind the axle....loading the bike backwards helps this...good luck

Old 10-20-2007, 09:03 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are concerned about the trailer then rent a enclosed uhaul trailer. I have a 5x10 that has 15" tires and it pulls great with either of my bikes or 2 of them on it.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:23 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen several ratchet straps let go when load decided to bounce a little.

I use the ratchet straps to stage bike square and upright with suspension compressed, then lock her down with 1/2" braided rope using "sailor" knots.....after 20 years in the Navy, you learn to "stow for sea" and expect heavy rolls.

Be very careful with those light framed "Harbor Freight" trailers. I had a new one and the spring perch broke clean off the frame after a short run thru a ruff patch of I-20. Then the axle shifted and locked up both rear tires against the frame. Trailer went sideways into guardrail and destroyed itself before I could stop.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:40 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Instead of using a chock, I would check out some of the new devices such as the Wheel Dock. There is a thread on here about several of these devices.

I transported motorcycles for 6 years for the MSF. In Mn, we had 21 trailers with 13 bikes on each trailer. Our state mechanic would have us by the short hairs if he ever caught someone "Pull the front suspension down till it stops." That was the number one cause of front seal leakage. Think about it--you have effective bottomed out your suspension when you do that, diaabling the function of the forks--to absorb shock! Now, any forces exerted by the road trip have to go sideways, not up and down,destroying your fork seals.

We compressed the forks about half way, which gave plenty of tension on the straps, yet not damaging the seals.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/B290FD63F545492399FA2C354C28F210.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-20-2007, 02:05 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this will go against popular thinking, but I'm convinced it's best to NOT attatch tie downs to anything above the lower forks or swingarm. I truely believe the bike will ride better with less chance of damageif the bike's full suspension is allowed to operate freely like it does on the road.........But that is kinda hard to do, huh?

My answer is to compress the suspension about half way and make dead certain the bike can't move either forward/aft or port/starboard even the least bit.

I've seen a few buddies fabricate/adapt air shocksto their trailers......Their efforts really paid off with much smoother ride and less damage to their cargo and trailers.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:49 PM
bigbluff
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For Sale, I have a Kendon single bike folding trailer with one of those wheel capturing chocks on the front that locks the front wheel when you drive on so that loading it can be a one man operation. I'm in the Kansas City area. Anyone who's interested in it, let me know.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:01 PM
phatmitzu
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: HarlyFan

ORIGINAL: phatmitzu

4x6 foldable trailer with 20" tires.

You should be fine with 5x10. Just check your wheel bearings from time to time.

I was thinking about a Kendon fold up like this, how happy are you with this? Does the bike get alot of rock chips coming off the truck being so close to the rear with no protection?
Its not a Kendon(Brand).Its quality its no less than a Kendon trailer though.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Billiam92407
Tourer

If you don't mind spending the extra bucks, Harley0711's suggestion is the way to go. I bought one and installed it. I drove from So. Cal. to Seattle and back. The bike never moved. No additional load on the suspension and no fear of the straps leaving marks or giving way.
As stated above... 1k isn't that far with a 750lb. load.
Bigger tires do save your bearings.

Quick Reply: Any problems withusing a 5X10 utility trailer