Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12 volt power adaptor

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:13 PM
gpp
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 12 volt power adaptor

i bought the power adaptor kit from harley that plugs into the socket under the seat on my 06 rk.why does the 12volt side have the 2 white plugs in it and the other side with the black and orange wire doesnt have any power?i mean,you take it out of the package,plug it in,and no power.air compressor want hit a lick and neither would a flashlight .now how can something so simple not work?can i just switch the wires over to the other side,i mean it could be wired backwards.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:36 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 12 volt power adaptor

On my 08 Road King it is wired to a toggle switch on the housing of the nacelle, I think the left side....

Old 09-17-2007, 10:26 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 854 Likes on 644 Posts

it may be switched ....do you have two black toggle switches near the front fork lock..just in front of the gas tank....up is on...bike should have gas tank switch to "on" or "acc" also..

Old 09-18-2007, 05:45 AM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What they said.

Most non-police bikes have the power adapter under the seat switched to the Acc Switch on the console, beside the lock/Ignition switch.

Give that a shot

Good Luck

Old 09-18-2007, 06:05 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK...i will put my .02 in here as it seems that no one knows...

The 12v power adapter that plug into the harness under the seat functions in two methods.
First there are only two wires in the adapter but the harness has 4 wires.
one set of wires is controlled by the ACC switch. The ignition must be in the ACC or ON position in order for the ACC swith to be energized.
The other set of wires is connected directly to the battery and is energized as long as the bettery is connected.
Depending on which type of connection you want, you move the adapter wires to coorespond with the wire harness wires.
For example...if you are connecting a extra cigar lighter then you probably want that hot all the time...move the wires...
if you want the extra connector to only get power when the ignition in ON then leave the wires as is.

The wire harness located on the bike should not be modified...only move the wores in the adapter...you cannot just turn the adapter over and plug it in differently as it is molded to fit only one way.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:24 PM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior

Just a note, this does not apply to Police Spec Bikes

Old 09-18-2007, 02:30 PM
pkenyon1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 08 Street Glide I have the benefit of a cigarette lighter(!)

As I dont smoke this is less than useless (unless I go round trying to introduce myself and make friends by offering a light to all you smokers out there!)

Manual says I shouldnt use it as a power outlet, can anyone explain why that is and how I could change it to become a 12 volt power source?

Old 09-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

ORIGINAL: pkenyon1

On my 08 Street Glide I have the benefit of a cigarette lighter(!)

As I dont smoke this is less than useless (unless I go round trying to introduce myself and make friends by offering a light to all you smokers out there!)

Manual says I shouldnt use it as a power outlet, can anyone explain why that is and how I could change it to become a 12 volt power source?

don't know for sure, but I bet it's because of the load placed on the 12V source, maybe the cig lighter socket isn't fused to handle more power????

I need to put one in also to charge phone/ipod/air comp/.....I want to put it in the tour pac, out of sight while charging accrssories.....

Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 PM
gpp
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

okay,the acc switch did the trick.now,if the black wire plugs in to the terminal in the center of the adaptor on the end and the orange hot wire slips over the terminal on the outside of the plug in adaptor it sends 12 volts to any part of the adaptor.now how are you going to keep it from shorting out if it hits any metal?i reversed the wires and nothing works so it has to go the way the instructions say.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:35 AM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior

Orane wire should be hot (power 12v +)

black should be ground (-)